Wheel upgrade - Recommendations

Jester

Jul 27, 2003
Can anyone recomend a reasonably priced set of wheels. Don't want to spend a fortune on super light wheels as I'm not racing and the roads here are pot holed to hell.

I know from MTB experience that good wheels are one of the best things you can do for the feel of a bike. I want to ditch the budget wheels (Plain spokes etc) for a set of lighter ones with butted spokes and alloy nipples. Any sugestions on suitable rims to look out for as I have no idea whats good bad or indifferant when it comes to road wheels

Cheers Jester

Originally posted by Jester
Can anyone recomend a reasonably priced set of wheels. Don't want to spend a fortune on super light wheels as I'm not racing and the roads here are pot holed to hell.

I know from MTB experience that good wheels are one of the best things you can do for the feel of a bike. I want to ditch the budget wheels (Plain spokes etc) for a set of lighter ones with butted spokes and alloy nipples. Any sugestions on suitable rims to look out for as I have no idea whats good bad or indifferant when it comes to road wheels

Cheers Jester

Jester,

Their are lots of comments in this forum regarding wheels. Some like factory built wheels (i.e. Mavic Krysium, Campy Euros, ect) while others prefer custom handbuilt wheels.

While both can provide an excellent (or poor) wheelset, you may also want to consider a handbuilt custom wheelset from someone like Colorado Cyclist, Excel, Peter White Cycles, Dave Thomas's Speed Dreams or Odds and Endos. For example, Odds and Endos (http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/index.htm?836) has Velocity Fusion Rims, American Classic hubs and Wheelsmith AE15 spokes for $400 (includes shipping and spare spokes). One big advantage with handbuilt wheels with off the shelf parts is that they can be repaired cheaply and quickly at almost any bike shop. In addition, they are often easier to work on yourself. Another small advantage is that Velocity Fusion rims are 25mm deep and use standard tubes.

Good luck

The Velocity Nuvian or Fusion wheels are excellent 'factory' type wheels.

Another alternative is to get a good FiR rim laced to whatever hub you want 32 hole 3x.