Recommendations for a wheel upgrade?

Olasnah

Aug 6, 2004
I have XERO XR-4's on my Felt F70 (Alum frame, carbon fork). I have been told that getting better wheels will help with my speed (I'm looking to enter some beginners races maybe this year or next) and general ride feel. I don't want to spend more than $400 if I can help it, but will this get me much if anything worthwhile? If so, what would you recommend?

Olasnah said:
I have XERO XR-4's on my Felt F70 (Alum frame, carbon fork). I have been told that getting better wheels will help with my speed (I'm looking to enter some beginners races maybe this year or next) and general ride feel. I don't want to spend more than $400 if I can help it, but will this get me much if anything worthwhile? If so, what would you recommend?

who said that to you??

Bike shop dude. I don't necessarily believe him, that's why I'm putting it out there to get some opinions, but I am of the opinion that I need a set of wheels simply to have as backup in case I taco one of the ones I have. I haven't had any spills lately, but don't want to have to worry about not being able to ride while I try to save up the necessary dough.

Olasnah said:
...but I am of the opinion that I need a set of wheels simply to have as backup in case I taco one of the ones I have. I haven't had any spills lately, but don't want to have to worry about not being able to ride...

The worse excuse I've ever heard. :) Why not invest your money in training? That way, you can truly go 'fast'! The bottom line is - its your money!!! Good luck.

Sorry but i have to agree with the previous poster.....and not agree with the bike shop guy! at the end of the day you're the one that's gotta push that bike faster and faster.......up 2 u

Olasnah said:

Usually wheels are one of the first recommended upgrades for your bike and for $400 you can get some decent Bontrager race lite (or even X lites) or some FSA RD-400.

That's the combo that I use, Bontrager for racing (11-21 cassette) and FSA for training or uphill races (12-25 cassette)

Maybe boudreaux will shot me to dead :) , but that's what I can suggest you.

Olasnah said:
To answer your question. I picked up a new set of Campy Proton's for $389 + shipping. They are fairly light, very stiff and they ride very well. I bought them based on reviews that I read on this forum as well as roadbikereviews. I have also heard good things about the Campy Zonda's which are in the same price range.
:cool: