Wheelset around 1500g for under $USD900

WINGNUTT said:
I would go for the american classic 420s. Less than 1500 grams and I think you can pick them up for way under $900 from ebay. They are around $900 direct from AR.

http://www.amclassic.com/Wheels_420.html
Amercian Classic don't distribute to Australia, so any time I had a problem I, would need to ship them to the US.

I'm now looking at the following wheel.

DT Swiss Road Elite
Rim: DT Swiss RR1.1
Hubs: DT Swiss 240s
Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite
Weight: 1433g
Cost: $USD950 including parts, labour and shipping to my LBS

I've heardgood things about DT Swiss (esp the hubs). Any thoughts?

Walrus said:

DT Swiss Road Elite

is that for 2 pairs? :)

I really thinks that's too much, but if you REALLY want those hubs, I s'pose it's your call.

I had a rear wheel built with an RR1.1, Ultegra hub and straight DTs for about $250 AUS from Bicycle Recycle!! I didn't like it; I found it a bit too flexy

I've heardgood things about DT Swiss (esp the hubs). Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
If Charles Coin were still with us, I think he would back the DT Swiss.
I used R1.1 on recommendation from my LBS and am very happy - better than the Aeroheads that I had. There's lots of fans of DT Revolutions - do a Google. You can get Record or D/A hubs for less $$ than the ones you are looking at, but they are heavier.

531Aussie said:
is that for 2 pairs? :)

I really thinks that's too much, but if you REALLY want those hubs, I s'pose it's your call.

I had a rear wheel built with an RR1.1, Ultegra hub and straight DTs for about $250 AUS from Bicycle Recycle!! I didn't like it; I found it a bit too flexy
Dura Ace hubs would knock a couple of hundred off the price...I will look into that. Not sure about the weight gain/loss.

I know that DT Swiss hubs are on some of the Bonty wheels. I've heard very good things from friends who ride the X-Lite Aero's and Race Lites. They rave about the hubs.

Anyway, I've got a month or so to think about it. Thanks for your thoughts.

The Sapim CX-Ray spokes are expensive and not any stronger than the much cheaper Laser spokes that Sapim makes. They are AERO, though, and that may mean something to some people.

Can you get Easton Ascents in Australia?

bbattle said:
The Sapim CX-Ray spokes are expensive and not any stronger than the much cheaper Laser spokes that Sapim makes. They are AERO, though, and that may mean something to some people.

Can you get Easton Ascents in Australia?
Yep, but for some reason they're really expensive...like $AUD1500 ($USD1100). I did look at the CX-Ray's, but not overly excited about them.

jrstevens said:
Check out the new Neuvations:
http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/r28sl.html
The R28SLs are under 1500 grams and can be purchased for a fraction of what your top limit is.

JS
I have the R28 SL neuvations and they are awesome. I paid 300 USD at a race. I weigh in at 220 pounds and I can put some twist into my wheels. The finish is very nice, and the spokes are standard size and length. The hubs are simple and very easy to maintain ( I have had them apart just for a look-see inside) The stickers are a little obnoxious so I removed them.

Try them out the price and the quality build/finish/feel will amaze you.

hey what about ritchey protocols??

I recently stuck a set on my TCR. Paid USD500 landed here to OZ from the the US

Sweet ride, super light, no probs so far!

Walrus said:
Amercian Classic don't distribute to Australia, so any time I had a problem I, would need to ship them to the US.

DT Swiss Road Elite

I just bought a set of handbuilt DT's similar to your component list and the total cost was almost $200 less than your quote. If you are still considering this option send me a PM and I will send you the name of the builder. It may take about 2 weeks or more for him to build you a set. The only difference on the list was I used DT Swiss Competition spokes, but that shouldn't make much difference in the price.

You can send the guy an email and see if he will ship to Australia and if he will he will give you a price quote in the email for the build and shipping.

:mad:
Donga said:
In Australia you can get some sweet wheels built custom at your local LBS for a helluva lot less than that. Import some hubs like DuraAce, American Classic, DT Swiss. Put them on some DT Swiss R1.1 rims with CX-Rays or a bit cheaper DT Revolutions and alloy nipples.

You now have wheels that can be rebuilt when needed easier and cheaper than your Ksyriums etc.

Donga
I want to revise this. Do not buy the R1.1 rims. They look beautiful, but the metal must be junk. I have now broken two back wheels, 32h x3x3 with DT Rev spokes. Nipples pulled through the rim and broke away chunks of metal. DT replace the first rim, but it still cost me the build and spokes. Stick with other rims. I'm replacing it with a Velocity Aerohead, which uses the same spoke length.

Donga

Walrus said:
My trusty Shimano 550's are to be retired at the end of this year. They've served me well, but it's time for an upgrade. I want an all-round wheel that is suitable for training with a chance of the occasional race.

Criteria:
  • Good climbing wheels would be looked upon favourably, but nothing too ultralight (not that my budget will allow this anyway)
  • I want to pay less than $USD900 ($AUD1200).
  • The rim should be less than 28mm, don't want to worry about crosswinds
  • If possible, I'm aiming for around 1500g
I've looked at Ksyrium SL2's, Campy Neutron, Fulcrum Racing3, Bonty Race Xlite, Rolf Elan, Shimano Dura Ace (not the 7800 - I don't have 10 spd). Any comments on those wheels, or perhaps some others that I mightn't have considered?
http://www.williamscycling.com/index.asp I'm concidering these wheels

Look what a difference a year makes. For US$900, Mavic Ksyrium ES, Campag Eurus and Fulcrum R1s are all obtainable at that price.

White Industries H1 hubs, anodized black, 24f, 28r; Sapim CX-Ray spokes 2x front, 3x rear; Alex Crostini R3.1/3.2 rims. Total weight: 1380g. Total price: about $600 'merican. They blow the pants off any set of Ksyriums; they're user friendly, user serviceable; they look dead sexy.

For $900 or less, a guy or girl could get a damned fine set of wheels built...a set that would give up nothing to the more expensive boutique wheels.

In fact, I can't come up with a single reason why someone would want Ksyriums or some other boutique wheel, unless it's for aesthetic reasons. As for performance, the boutique wheels have nothing special.....unless you go to deep rimmed wheels for aero benefits.

alienator said:
In fact, I can't come up with a single reason why someone would want Ksyriums or some other boutique wheel, unless it's for aesthetic reasons. As for performance, the boutique wheels have nothing special.....unless you go to deep rimmed wheels for aero benefits.
Probably the same reason as going to a corner store and pay a bit more for the convenience.

sogood said:
Probably the same reason as going to a corner store and pay a bit more for the convenience.

Well, if by convenience you mean susceptibility to falling for the clever marketing guy's tricks....then, yeah, I guess you're right. And, yeah, I guess it is convenient to be able to walk into an LBS and snag a Ksyrium or some Bontrager thing......BUT it's also very easy to find a good wheelbuilder and have him/her build a set of wheels. That wheelbuilder is also likely to provide service after the purchase that exceeds the boutique wheel manufacturer's offerings.

It is true that not all custom built wheels are great or even good. And it is true that some boutique wheels are very good. However, it's important to remember that it is definitely true that the boutique wheels have nothing--technologically--that custom wheels don't have. Boutique wheels have no intrinsic performance advantage. And the manufacturers of boutique wheels have no special knowledge that somehow makes their wheels trump someone else's. The important thing to remember is what that old, dead guy in the crypt told Indian Jones, "Choose wisely."

Donga said:
:mad: I want to revise this. Do not buy the R1.1 rims. They look beautiful, but the metal must be junk. I have now broken two back wheels, 32h x3x3 with DT Rev spokes. Nipples pulled through the rim and broke away chunks of metal. DT replace the first rim, but it still cost me the build and spokes. Stick with other rims. I'm replacing it with a Velocity Aerohead, which uses the same spoke length.

Donga
I had the same problem. Dirtworks emailed me back after I sent both wheels back after an eyelet pulled through the back rim and another had started. There were apparently some hairline cracks arount the spoke holes on the front rim so they are replacing both with the new, heavy double eyeleted rr1.1 rims. Needless to say these are being sold to someone who's intended use would better suit the double-eyelets.

I am almost definitely gettin a bargain set of Neuvation R28aero in about 12 days, and they are apparently aroun 1550g. $329 AUD.

alienator said:
Well, if by convenience you mean susceptibility to falling for the clever marketing guy's tricks....then, yeah, I guess you're right. And, yeah, I guess it is convenient to be able to walk into an LBS and snag a Ksyrium or some Bontrager thing......BUT it's also very easy to find a good wheelbuilder and have him/her build a set of wheels. That wheelbuilder is also likely to provide service after the purchase that exceeds the boutique wheel manufacturer's offerings.

It is true that not all custom built wheels are great or even good. And it is true that some boutique wheels are very good. However, it's important to remember that it is definitely true that the boutique wheels have nothing--technologically--that custom wheels don't have. Boutique wheels have no intrinsic performance advantage. And the manufacturers of boutique wheels have no special knowledge that somehow makes their wheels trump someone else's. The important thing to remember is what that old, dead guy in the crypt told Indian Jones, "Choose wisely."
Well said! However I think you are over-estimating a lot of cyclists out there now that you are on this side of the educated fence. When I got back to cycling, I had no ideas of this custom build business and how good it can get. But it really is through a lot of reading and time do I now have a better feel of this subject. And when you are a busy person with a comfortable budget, picking up a boutique wheel from a known brand is that much easier. It's one decision + $$$ vs 7 decisions (type of rim, type of spoke, type of hub, type of lace pattern, type of nipple, colours, who to build) + lack of demonstrator + uncertainty of result. The other issue of geography. Where I am, wheel builders with a reputation aren't that easy to find.

Then there are many people out there who's just flushed with money (see dot com boom), who doesn't care about price. It's a lost cause there.

bobbyOCR said:
I am almost definitely gettin a bargain set of Neuvation R28aero in about 12 days, and they are apparently aroun 1550g. $329 AUD.
I'll remind you again, please post your opinion when you've had a good ride of it. ;)

alienator said:
White Industries H1 hubs, anodized black, 24f, 28r; Sapim CX-Ray spokes 2x front, 3x rear; Alex Crostini R3.1/3.2 rims. Total weight: 1380g. Total price: about $600 'merican. They blow the pants off any set of Ksyriums; they're user friendly, user serviceable; they look dead sexy.

For $900 or less, a guy or girl could get a damned fine set of wheels built...a set that would give up nothing to the more expensive boutique wheels.

+1. I had Dave Thomas build me up a set with White LTA 28h rear, Amer. Classic Micro 24h front, Velocity Escape (tubular) rims, Wheelsmith ovalized spokes. 1411g $569. Awesome climbing wheels; very responsive, excellent energy transfer. Dave really knows his stuff. His link is here. Highly recommended!

Cheers! - nojiri