When buying a road bike, does weight matter?

jonsone

Oct 11, 2004
I am going to be buying a new road bike within the next month. I have read a lot about sizing and trying out all sorts of bikes to find one that "feels" right. Does the weight of the rider make a lot of difference when looking at what material the frame is made from, or what style of frame?

I am 6'5" and weigh 275lbs is there a specific brand or style that is geared to us larger individuals?

jonsone said:
I am going to be buying a new road bike within the next month. I have read a lot about sizing and trying out all sorts of bikes to find one that "feels" right. Does the weight of the rider make a lot of difference when looking at what material the frame is made from, or what style of frame?

I am 6'5" and weigh 275lbs is there a specific brand or style that is geared to us larger individuals?
Yeah, your size and weight matters. Avoid crazy light stuff,and check manufacturers recommended weight limits. It gets more critical with bigger frame sizs like you would need.

Check the components as well … wheels, spokes, tires, hubs, pedals, and the like. The parts that support the weight/load on the bike. That titanium pedal may be great, unfortunately it wont support my 6’3” 250# body!

Good luck

Yep look at weight limits, etc, avoid the crazy stuff. At your weight and size, you'll see a bit more flex throughout the bike so getting a 'whippy' frame, speed oscillations, etc. is also a concern I'd have...make sure to do thorough test rides.

I'd go for a heavy-duty commuter or touring frame that has at least 32 mm tires.