When do you need to buy new tires?

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
When is the time to buy new tires? I don't remember being required because I usually buy new tires whenever I would have the budget and the whim to have new tires. A biker in our village said that new tires are needed when the tread is not visible anymore. But isn't it about the tires of cars that you use the tread as gauge if it needs replacing?

Here's some questions to ask to decide about replacing a tire:

• Can you see any of the fabric?
  • Are you getting flats more easily than you used to?
  • Is any part of the tire bulging out or lumpy?
  • Are there visible holes/gashes in the tire?
  • Does the wear indicator indicate you should replace? (Some tires have dimples or grooves that are there to indicate when the tire should be replaced. Some have an alternate color of rubber underneath, and when that shows through the tire should be replaced)
Smooth tread is actually ideal for road conditions, but not commonly found on tires. If you're on hard surfaces such as pavement/asphalt, the tread doesn't help you and actually slightly reduces contact area and increases rolling resistance. On most road tires the minimal tread pattern is just cosmetic to make their customers feel better.

When is the time to buy new tires? I don't remember being required because I usually buy new tires whenever I would have the budget and the whim to have new tires. A biker in our village said that new tires are needed when the tread is not visible anymore. But isn't it about the tires of cars that you use the tread as gauge if it needs replacing?

I agree with your friend, if I can't see the tread anymore, than I replace them. I didn't used to do that, but I never had problems before when I used to replace them just because I felt like they needed to be replaced, and this was without even checking the tires. I just thought you needed to replace them like every other month or so.

Because I used to ride so many miles daily, the tread on my tires would be completely gone in as little as 6 weeks. When there is no tread, I get a lot more slippage when hitting corners, plus I don't like when I get flats either. No tread make penetration by the littlest thing much more probable.

Reactions: Corzhens
It's quite funny but I really am not the authority when it comes to changing the tires of my bike. When something is wrong, say a flat tire, I just ask someone to have it repaired in the vulcanizing shop. So when the tires need a-changing, my husband would bring it to the bike shop and often would surprise me with new tires. I really appreciate those gestures which make me ignorant of my bike's condition.

Bike tires are actually pretty darn durable, assuming you keep them properly inflated. Have ridden many thousands of miles on smooth road bike tires and never needed to replace them. My mountain bike tires take more of a beating, but, even then, I mostly replace them to go with a different tread or tire design for different riding conditions, not so much because they wear out. Recreational riders seldom ride enough miles to actually wear out tires. Usually the tires rots or dries out and cracks as bike studio indicates. I replace inner tubes far more frequently than tires.

Seeing that on all my road bikes I have smooth tires with no tread pattern. I always inspect my tires after a ride for cuts or imbedded debris. I also know that through years of riding, and my riding style I will start to wear down the tires and start seeing the fibers around the 3000 mile mark.
But I've extended the life of my tires many, many times when I've got a cut in the sidewall and the tire tread still has plenty of life. Just use a dollar bill on the inside of the of the tire covering where the hole is, put tube in and inflate. I've had as many as 3 different cuts at a time, and when I finally get a new tire I've got an extra 3 dollars. I've been doing this for over 25 years.

Tire replacement depends a whole lot on your kind of riding, the road condition and the exact make and model of tire. The roads are so pocked and there is so much broken glass on California roads that you have to buy absolute top of the line tires such as Specialized Armadillos or Continental Gatorskins to be able to wear a tire out. Otherwise they have so many holes in them you're lucky to get 500 miles on them.

As a rule the rear tire will get a flat spot along the middle and then you switch your tires front for back.. This gives you perhaps 30% more mileage. The "flat proof" tires generally have a longer life because they use harder and deeper rubber.

Do not use cheap tires unless you're lucky enough to live in an area where there is no broken glass on the streets or large deep potholes.

Just replaced a set that didn't really look worn, but had a couple of cuts where the casing or fabric was visible, I know you can boot them with a piece of fabric, but to me, it's not worth the risk of flatting 30 miles from home, or on a long ride. Good tires are cheap, so if in doubt, replace!