When is it too close to event to lose LARD

Remove The Poli

Guest
I'm going to do the deathride July 12. Ideally, I should prob be at about 160. I'm 174 now, only 6
weeks to go.

I've gotten a lot beter at climbing even though i've only lost about 3-4 pounds in the
last 2 months.

I realize I probably won't make my goal weight, but my question is when should I stop trying to lose
weight before the ride? 3 days? A week? 10 days?

This is serious, I need some ice cream.

Offhand, why not eat carbs around the time you train then lay off them otherwise? Maybe that would
work. Man, extra weight sure makes you suffer in the hills! But you don't want to sacrifice strength
or endurance. So eat protein for muscle and carbs around workouts. Increase your workouts a bit? I'd
think you could do this kind of thing up to 2 weeks before a huge ride like that. That's my two
bits. Let's see what the pro's say.

--

****
Jeff Potter

...new books featuring: XC ski culture, a thriller about small town drug smuggling, and folding
bicycles ... radical novels coming up! ...lots more books, downloadable music and videos ...
articles galore!

plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

remove the polite word to reply <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm going to do the deathride July 12. Ideally, I should prob be at about 160. I'm 174 now, only 6
> weeks to go.

> I've gotten a lot beter at climbing even though i've only lost about 3-4 pounds in the last
> 2 months.

> I realize I probably won't make my goal weight, but my question is when should I stop trying to
> lose weight before the ride? 3 days? A week? 10 days?

> This is serious, I need some ice cream.

I say starve right up until the day of the ride. Ice cream is for wimps. Denial makes you stronger.
After all, you are doing something called the "Death Ride," right? Why should you expect to enjoy
it? Just because it's a tour (or, in rbr language, Fred Ride) that you are doing voluntarily, and
not a race? That's a weak excuse. Ask yourself if LANCE,
Mr. Weighs-His-Oatmeal, would be eating ice cream.

Ben did a Fred Ride on Sunday, including unsanctioned beer stop; enjoyed it

In article <[email protected]>, Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote:

> remove the polite word to reply <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to do the deathride July 12. Ideally, I should prob be at about 160. I'm 174 now, only
> > 6 weeks to go.
>
> > I've gotten a lot beter at climbing even though i've only lost about 3-4 pounds in the last 2
> > months.
>
> > I realize I probably won't make my goal weight, but my question is when should I stop trying to
> > lose weight before the ride? 3 days? A week? 10 days?
>
> > This is serious, I need some ice cream.

If you do all the mountain passes (7?) you'll be riding for 8+ hours. You'd better have a full tank
of glycogen before you start.

-WG

remove the polite word to reply wrote:

> This is serious, I need some ice cream.

You don't need icecream unless you live in Vienna or Italy. Now THERE you need icecream. But it only
comes in little cones.

--

Jeff Potter
****
*Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, skis, books, movies...

...new books featuring: XC ski culture, a thriller about small town drug smuggling, and folding
bicycles ... radical novels coming up! ...lots more books, downloadable music and videos ...
articles galore!

plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums! HOLY SMOKES!

[email protected] (remove the polite word to reply) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm going to do the deathride July 12. Ideally, I should prob be at about 160. I'm 174 now, only 6
> weeks to go.
>
> I've gotten a lot beter at climbing even though i've only lost about 3-4 pounds in the last
> 2 months.
>
> I realize I probably won't make my goal weight, but my question is when should I stop trying to
> lose weight before the ride? 3 days? A week? 10 days?
>
> This is serious, I need some ice cream.

According to this race report from accomplished racer Jason Waddell subject: Lance shows at local
race (Feb 2002) it is ok to drop lard as late as 70 miles into an 80 mile race.

LA: Are you gonna take your pull? JW: Uh, I'm a sprinter and don't go uphill very well
LB: well get dropped then

RVD

That is still one of the very best things posted here to RBR. OK, maybe it's the best.

The best thing reported to RBT (I think) was when George Mount showed up to a raging flamewar about
custom frames and said basically that he'd raced in worldclass events on dozens of customs and
storeboughts and never thought their angles or tubing mattered one iota and generally didn't know
any of these stats about his bikes and sometimes would forget which frame he was riding at the time.
Something like that. It shut up those guys in one blow.

--

Jeff Potter
****

On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:25:36 -0400, Jeff Potter wrote:
>The best thing reported to RBT (I think) was when George Mount showed up

Who?

> On Thu, 22 May 2003 11:25:36 -0400, Jeff Potter wrote:
> >The best thing reported to RBT (I think) was when George Mount showed up
>
> Who?

Very Famous Racer. He might have come close to winning a kermesse once.