"Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
says...
Quoted message said:what do you do? is there anyway to alter the neckline?I will be standing
there and the neck line will slide off to the left usualy and show off my
bra. I can not afford to buy new cloths right now :-/
It depends on how much you have to work with in the shoulder/neckline
area, but I've taken in quite a few necklines in the last couple of
years (including the infamous shrinking top I use in my progress photos
:-) Not only do they become too wide so that your bra straps start to
show, but they also tend to gap out unbecomingly in the front and back.
I've found that if I make a dart/wedge in the shoulder seam it works
pretty well most of the time. Start out at the seamline on the armhole
side, then sew in a gradual, smooth slant to the point where you want
the NEW neckline to be (or start out on the neckline side where you want
it to be and sew in a gradual incline until it smoothly reaches the
armhole seam. You might want to use the largest stitch setting for the
first go-around, because it's easier to rip out if it's not in the right
spot for you. Try it on and see if it works to your satisfaction. When
you have it in the place you want it, set the stitches to a smaller
setting (10-12 stitches per inch) and restitch. Trim off the excess
seam allowance except for about 1/4". Zigzag the remaining seam
allowance if it's inclined to unravel. You may want to trim the edges
of the seam at a slight angle if they poke out at the neckline or
armhole (if sleeveless) and possibly tack it down or under when you are
done so that it lies flat and relatively unseen.
Caveat: be sure to leave enough room in the neckline for it to still
fit over your head when you are done :-)
I've also altered a lot of my clothing as I've lost weight. I've never had
to do the neckline, but I never had shirts with large neck holes. I did
want to add that you could probably pin the shirt to see if it would work
and to get it right before you sew it. Turn the shirt inside-out and put it
on like that. Then pull up on the shoulder seam and pin it the amount that
fits correctly. Carefully take the shirt off and sew along your pin line.
That inside-out try on is how I make my bust-line darts to take in the waist
on my shirts so that they are more fitted. While you've got the shirt on
inside-out, try pinching around other seems and see if taking in any of the
others might make the shirt fit better.
--
Spring
LC since 1/1/04
260/193/170
"Before" & "current" pics at link below:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sprgsnow/my_photos