Where can I find used touring bikes?

mdpace

Jan 3, 2005
I am looking for decent used tour bikes that can take me across several states. Does anyone know of an online store, or someone who sells them?

Not a hint of where you're from, but from the "several states" comment, I presume you're in the US.

Check Sellwood Bicycles in Portland, Or. http://www.sellwoodcycle.com/

Their list of used bikes changes constantly, and they occasionally have a touring bike or two. Not cheap, but probably open to bargaining (I think it's mostly on consignment). I also have no idea if they ship.... Good luck.

-- Mark

mdpace said:
I am looking for decent used tour bikes that can take me across several states. Does anyone know of an online store, or someone who sells them?
There's always Ebay. I've seen some good touring rides go for pretty cheap on there.

I've been looking for a used touring bike also, but I haven't had much luck. There isn't much on Ebay, but it's the best I've found. I've decided to build my own bike with a new Surly "Long Haul Trucker" frame and some used parts from Ebay. I'll probably end up buying some new parts too.

Try bicycle touring clubs in your area. Some members have a "second" or surplus bike to sell.

You didn't say where you were from but, I know of a few shops in the Seattle area that sell used bikes too if you are anywhere around here
Recycled Cylces (www.recycledcycles.com)
and Second Ascent (www.secondascent.com)
and of course in many locations there is always craigslist (www.craigslist.com)

I've been helping a friend look for a touring bike and I gather that it is fairly difficult to find someone who actually wants to get rid of one, but this is a good time of the year to look - it is also a good time to look for sales on new bikes, especially after the new years models come out.