Where to get a heart for studying cardiology?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Stan Whitty, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Stan Whitty

    Stan Whitty Guest

    My grandpa died from heart disease 15 years ago and my dad also has serious heart problem now, so I
    want to study cardiology in the near future(this fall) to help millions of Americans and other
    people who suffer from heart problem. I will study cardiology related engineering. I want to know if
    I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical school or other places, or
    maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or training? And also if there is any
    regulation/law with regard to human tissue transportation? Also if there is any ethical issues for
    this kind of request? Please email me. God bless all of us.

    Stan

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:20:06 -0800, "Stan Whitty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I want to know if I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical school
    > or other places, or maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or training?

    Try your local uni/college in the Anatomy/Physiology departments.

    http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950909.html Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.

  3. Stan Whitty wrote:

    > My grandpa died from heart disease 15 years ago

    My condolences.

    > and my dad also has serious heart problem now,

    Sad to hear that.

    > so I want to study cardiology in the near future(this fall) to help millions of Americans and
    > other people who suffer from heart problem. I will study cardiology related engineering.

    Ok.

    > I want to know if I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical
    > school or other places, or maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or
    > training?

    Would suggest you check with your local medical school. Your best bet is to go on their web site and
    seek out someone from the department of pathology.

    > And also if there is any regulation/law with regard to human tissue transportation?

    There are. It is likely that you won't be able to remove the heart tissue from the medical school
    laboratory.

    > Also if there is any ethical issues for this kind of request?

    The pathology professor will be able to address those for you.

    > Please email me. God bless all of us.

    May His will be done.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?L21532147

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Stan Whitty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My grandpa died from heart disease 15 years ago and my dad also has serious heart problem now, so
    > I want to study cardiology in the near future(this fall) to help millions of Americans and other
    > people who suffer from heart problem. I will study cardiology related engineering. I want to know
    > if I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical school or other places,
    > or maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or training? And also if there
    > is any regulation/law with regard to human tissue transportation? Also if there is any ethical
    > issues for this kind of request? Please email me. God bless all of us.
    >
    > Stan

    Pig hearts are very similar to human ones. So you might start there. Also, you could get
    more of them.

    Bill

  5. On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:58:05 -0500, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There are. It is likely that you won't be able to remove the heart tissue from the medical school
    >laboratory.

    Is this a health issue, privacy issue or "need the organ" issue.

    When I was studying at Rhodes, they let us take them home prior to Advanced AP exams.

  6. Last Shot At The Mu_n wrote:

    > On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:58:05 -0500, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >There are. It is likely that you won't be able to remove the heart tissue from the medical school
    > >laboratory.
    >
    > Is this a health issue, privacy issue or "need the organ" issue.
    >
    > When I was studying at Rhodes, they let us take them home prior to Advanced AP exams.
    >
    > http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950909.html Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.

    Largely a health issue.

    Andrew