Where to get a heart for studying cardiology?

Stan Whitty

Guest
My grandpa died from heart disease 15 years ago and my dad also has serious heart problem now, so I
want to study cardiology in the near future(this fall) to help millions of Americans and other
people who suffer from heart problem. I will study cardiology related engineering. I want to know if
I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical school or other places, or
maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or training? And also if there is any
regulation/law with regard to human tissue transportation? Also if there is any ethical issues for
this kind of request? Please email me. God bless all of us.

Stan

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:20:06 -0800, "Stan Whitty" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I want to know if I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical school
> or other places, or maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or training?

Try your local uni/college in the Anatomy/Physiology departments.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950909.html Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.

Stan Whitty wrote:

> My grandpa died from heart disease 15 years ago

My condolences.

> and my dad also has serious heart problem now,

Sad to hear that.

> so I want to study cardiology in the near future(this fall) to help millions of Americans and
> other people who suffer from heart problem. I will study cardiology related engineering.

Ok.

> I want to know if I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical
> school or other places, or maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or
> training?

Would suggest you check with your local medical school. Your best bet is to go on their web site and
seek out someone from the department of pathology.

> And also if there is any regulation/law with regard to human tissue transportation?

There are. It is likely that you won't be able to remove the heart tissue from the medical school
laboratory.

> Also if there is any ethical issues for this kind of request?

The pathology professor will be able to address those for you.

> Please email me. God bless all of us.

May His will be done.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L21532147

"Stan Whitty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My grandpa died from heart disease 15 years ago and my dad also has serious heart problem now, so
> I want to study cardiology in the near future(this fall) to help millions of Americans and other
> people who suffer from heart problem. I will study cardiology related engineering. I want to know
> if I can get a human heart to study, I mean either from hospital, medical school or other places,
> or maybe if I cannot get it, where can I have a dissection course or training? And also if there
> is any regulation/law with regard to human tissue transportation? Also if there is any ethical
> issues for this kind of request? Please email me. God bless all of us.
>
> Stan

Pig hearts are very similar to human ones. So you might start there. Also, you could get
more of them.

Bill

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:58:05 -0500, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There are. It is likely that you won't be able to remove the heart tissue from the medical school
>laboratory.

Is this a health issue, privacy issue or "need the organ" issue.

When I was studying at Rhodes, they let us take them home prior to Advanced AP exams.

Last Shot At The Mu_n wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:58:05 -0500, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >There are. It is likely that you won't be able to remove the heart tissue from the medical school
> >laboratory.
>
> Is this a health issue, privacy issue or "need the organ" issue.
>
> When I was studying at Rhodes, they let us take them home prior to Advanced AP exams.
>
> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap950909.html Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.

Largely a health issue.

Andrew