Where's the team

jkxw

Jul 27, 2004
I'm new to cycling and have done some reading. Not a lot. I have'nt seen where the team aspct comes in really. I know there is blocking involved and leading a cyclist to a favorable position, but in the races I've seen, teammates are usually scattered in the field. Technically couldn't a cyclist use anyone in the race as virtual teammates? Or follow the strategy of another whole team during a race to make gains? Can someone please give me a little insight into why this is such a team oriented sport or tell me where to look?

jkxw said:
I'm new to cycling and have done some reading. Not a lot. I have'nt seen where the team aspct comes in really. I know there is blocking involved and leading a cyclist to a favorable position, but in the races I've seen, teammates are usually scattered in the field. Technically couldn't a cyclist use anyone in the race as virtual teammates? Or follow the strategy of another whole team during a race to make gains? Can someone please give me a little insight into why this is such a team oriented sport or tell me where to look?

Watch some racing on TV...you'll get a better understanding when you see it in action.
-Lead-outs
-Team time trials
-Mechanicals
-Breakaways
all rely heavily on the team aspect of the sport.

ed073 said:
Watch some racing on TV...you'll get a better understanding when you see it in action.
-Lead-outs
-Team time trials
-Mechanicals
-Breakaways
all rely heavily on the team aspect of the sport.
I think one of the best examples is if there is a small break with two riders of one team and two riders from different teams. The two teammates would take turns attacking with one attacking and the other sucking the wheel of the chaser. If the attacking rider was caught then the other teammate would attack and this would have a good chance of success since the other two riders would be tired from chasing.