Which do u prefer?

I have just got into road biking in a big way. I love the way you can reel of large distances, although some of the moments you get on mtb's are exhilarating. Like riding up a loose rock climb (made more fun by the fact i have slick tires on my mtb at the moment).

Unfortunately i just don't think the area where i live has many good mtb rides. I tried some mtb'ing near to Banff which was awesome, would love to do a proper biking trip in those mountains.

I have a Mountain Bike, but I'm considering getting a road bike, 'cause I think I will like the feel better. I haven't ridden one in years!

Malanc

ROAD! (and paved trails)

Lucky to have paved Bike/Walker trails, 9 mile loop for starts!

Road is my game. But after recovering from a recent major injury, I suspect that climbing will become my main form of exercise. After all, how badly can you get hurt on an uphill? The steeper it is and greater the effort, the slower your speed will be. So that looks safer to me, at least until I have regained my confidence. Until you've broken a bone, it seems like nothing to worry about, but I have now, and I don't want to repeat.

This means road or mountain bike, depending on the mountain will be my choice.

I'm a firm fan of road biking - give me my road bike and a long, smooth strip of tarmac and I'm happy. If there's a gentle tailwind that keeps me going at 25mph, awesome :)

But I also very much enjoy the grind of commuting. It's like road cycling, in that you're still on a fairly fast bike (skinny-tyred hybrid in my case), but a lot more exciting - dodging in and out of traffic, emergency braking for pedestrians, drafting buses, trying to beat that taxi to the next set of lights. Awesome stuff, but hard on the bike. I'm looking to build a 26 inch-wheeled rigid-framed bike with disc brakes for this.

i have road, track and MTB.

Road and track for racing and MTB for training on road only at the moment. i have a set of 700c disc brake wheels for this purpose and keep the road bike for races.

my favourite is track though.

Okay, I'm a noob

Are track bikes the ones that I've seen in the olympics, well...on the tracks? With the wheels that look like they're solid where the spokes would normally be?

BTW I'm just starting to get into road biking--was never serious about biking before

Originally posted by BLDR
What is the most popular form of biking? Road, MTB, Trials, Track, or BMX? If I've missed any just add it below.

Weekdays for Road & weekends for MTB,
enjoy the odd road race, but mostly the technical aspect required to be able to ride a MTB at any respectable speedin the dirt.

Originally posted by BLDR
What is the most popular form of biking? Road, MTB, Trials, Track, or BMX? If I've missed any just add it below.

WOW!, I'm amazed because most of the people in these forums are road bikers, 78%, and only 16% MT bikers....I thought we were more..:(

Mountain definately, there are more mountain trails here in the So Cal Desert then there are roads. As for the statement that MTB is for the young, Thanks, because I am 40 next month. I would love to try the road, but here in the desert it is about as safe as Russian Roulette.

I've been doing MTB'in for about 3 yrs, did sum road riding every now and then, but recentley started commutin a lot more and prefer speed, the sound of the tyres on the tarmac :) so i got my first "proper" road bike about a week n a half ago, i've done ova 150km on it already :D im in love with it, so i think ill stick with road racing for a lonnnggg time, im only just 15 :D i've got tests coming up to get into the talent team of gb soon :) so im really geting into it now.

BLDR said:

I'm a 100% Roadie at the moment but seeing as I'm moving out to a really small coastal town in about 2-months I'm thinking of buying a Mountain-Bike so I can explore some of the dust-tracks as well... :cool:

I love mountain biking. Out on a trail surrounded by trees, water, wildlife, not knowing what's around the corner. I love it! I like getting dirty, hate crashing, but $@!* happens!

Actually I just love off road on mountain bikes, but it is so time consuming that I can hardly afford it. Road satisfies my short temper and need to get instant satisfaction :eek: , so that is my actual preference after all.

I ride road at work during the warm months, fixed through ice & snow. I think I prefer off-road although it's what i do the least of. I raced a few years NORBA and that was way fun compared to USCF for me.

btw you may have to add street-fixed to the line up. I saw this fella pull up to the sidewalk cafe I was at, On this Fuji that was obviously straight from the distributor, had drilled frame and fork, low end but solid parts and fixed....front brake in attendence but buddy obviously hadn't a clue. I'm not sure how i feel about big guys marketing the street fixed look straight off the showroom floor. Even with front brakes standard it's not really for the novice cyclist, on the track sure, on the road notsomuch. It doesn't matter to me a whit how many messengers are doing it, they either know the ropes or learn the hard way with a good amount of freewheel experience to help. Same with someone with lots of track experience. Bu tto think someone might buy one as a first or second bike just cause they look cool is scary. oh well, buyer beware

It's the sensation of speed that gets me into road biking. Moreover, well-made road bikes are some the most beautiful machines ever made.

I don't like dirt and hate cleaning up the bike every time. :D

I usually watch only road races, but during the Olympics I tried to watch all the other bike races as well!

Ag, road bikers are sissies!!!! (joke)

BUT!!!

ANY professional cyclist will admit that MTB vs Road is like 150% distance vs. 100% distance.

I did the "King of the Mountains" in Pretoria, and the 30km I rode was AT LEAST twice as difficult as the 72km road-race I did the week before...

And, having broken my hip on the road (I had a MUCH more serious fall off-road, no injuries), MTB has to be my preference....

Each to his own. However, I suspect that the low reply-rate of MTB-ers is due to them actually being out there riding and having less time to play on the 'net............

:)