Which helmet size should I go with?

Shredpirate

Sep 13, 2004
Hey y'all.

Im planning to purchase a giro atmos. The problem is my head is in the middle of sizes small and med which is 21¾" . 21¾" is the maxium for the small size and its the minimum for the medium size. Should I go with the small helmet or the medium? Thanks in advance.

Shredpirate said:
Hey y'all.

Im planning to purchase a giro atmos. The problem is my head is in the middle of sizes small and med which is 21¾" . 21¾" is the maxium for the small size and its the minimum for the medium size. Should I go with the small helmet or the medium? Thanks in advance.
I think the answer to your question depends on which helmet feels and fits you best (and most properly). If you ride with some type of head cover under your helmet, then you may just want to consider the "medium"-sized helmet because it would afford you that much more room. I also wear the "Atmos" helmet (FYI, "large") and I know that the packaging includes extra cushioning for custom sizing and fit; so, the "medium"-sized helmet may be the best choice for you anyway.

leslierc8853 said:
the packaging includes extra cushioning for custom sizing and fit; so, the "medium"-sized helmet may be the best choice for you anyway.
Idealy, you want to have the least ammount of added cushioning you can. The more you have, the more the helmet can shift in a crash. Try them both on and see what works for you.

I agree with leslierc8853 & the head covering under the helmet comment. I didn't think about it until I popped on a headband & then my helmet. What a difference that made. I choked through a short ride. Got home & made some interior padding adjustments for the next ride. Even with the adjustments it's still a bit snug, but bearable.

Hey I hit a century on my posts. My first bicycling century! :D

Thanks for the input y'all. I just got back from performance bikes. I'm going with the medium. The small felt like an octapus was on my head, The strap was also digging into my chin :(