helmet size question

mdbrown

Jul 10, 2004
i'm looking to buy a helmet. i've been riding without one and i just don't like taking that chance anymore, so i'm breaking down and getting one.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=14648

that seems to be a very good value, since it's a 2002 model, and the reviews i found about it are all very good. the problem i have is that my head is somewhere between 21.75" and 22". 21.75" is the last size for small and 22" is the first size for medium. since it's from an online retailer, i can't really get a fitting to see how each would feel so i'm having to guess at it. should i go smaller or should i go larger? i don't want the helmet to be loose, but i also don't want it squeezing my head.

I would recommend trying a helmet on before buying. Different helmets fit differently even though they are the same circumference.

the problem is that the helmet is offered online. i guess i could head to a bike shop and try on helmets by bell to get a feel for the sizes.

If you're in-between sizes, I'd recommend going to the larger of the two. If you're on the upper end of the smaller size, then riding with a balaclava or skull cap may make it too tight. OTOH, most makes of helmets come with enough "extra" pads to size them properly for those on the small end of their fit range...plus you can wear cold weather headgear underneath by simply expanding the fitting device slightly.

Just bought one myself, good deal......thanks

mdbrown said:
i'm looking to buy a helmet. i've been riding without one and i just don't like taking that chance anymore, so i'm breaking down and getting one.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=14648

that seems to be a very good value, since it's a 2002 model, and the reviews i found about it are all very good. the problem i have is that my head is somewhere between 21.75" and 22". 21.75" is the last size for small and 22" is the first size for medium. since it's from an online retailer, i can't really get a fitting to see how each would feel so i'm having to guess at it. should i go smaller or should i go larger? i don't want the helmet to be loose, but i also don't want it squeezing my head.

mdbrown said:
the problem is that the helmet is offered online. i guess i could head to a bike shop and try on helmets by bell to get a feel for the sizes.
That's what I was going to suggest; the Phi is hard to find, but Bell helmets are everywhere. I know my size when it comes to Bell, my size when it comes to Limar, and the same for Giro; it's not the perfect strategy, but it usually works.

Good luck!