Which of you 'bent nerds will be on RAGBRAI?

Seth Jayson

Guest
Just wondering.

Among the celebities, Mr. Tom Sherman would seem to have no excuse not to be there (going
with QCBC?)

I'll be there with BIC...

We should arrange some kind of newsgroup meeting/shindy

sj

Seth Jayson wrote:

> Just wondering.
>
> Among the celebities, Mr. Tom Sherman would seem to have no excuse not to be there (going
> with QCBC?)
>
> I'll be there with BIC...
>
> We should arrange some kind of newsgroup meeting/shindy

Tar - check

Feathers - check

Wooden fence rail - check

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

Seth Jayson wrote:

> Just wondering.
>
> Among the celebities, Mr. Tom Sherman would seem to have no excuse not to be there (going with
> QCBC?)....

For various reasons, I will almost certainly not be on RAGBRAI, so it should be safe for
Republicans, DLC Democrats, and other advocates of neo-liberalism to register for the ride.

Tom You need to work on your earning $ methods. Announce to everyone you WILL be there and you plan
to really get vocal...then offer to back out (for a handsome fee). "Tom Sherman"

> Seth Jayson wrote:
> >
> > Just wondering.
> >
> > Among the celebities, Mr. Tom Sherman would seem to have no excuse not to be there (going with
> > QCBC?)....
>
> For various reasons, I will almost certainly not be on RAGBRAI, so it should be safe for
> Republicans, DLC Democrats, and other advocates of neo-liberalism to register for the ride.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

I'll probably be there with my rebuilt Vivo-lite. I'm taking off the ballistic fork and putting on a
V-rex fork with a Pantour hub, and changing out the praying hamster handle bars with the Terracycle
aero bars. Also adding a tailbox, and might even try some of those airless tires...I figure the net
weight loss, including losing the pump, patch kit, tube, and the ballistic fork, plus adding the
tailbox, new hub, and heavier tires should still reduce the weight of the bike by about 3 lbs.

Rich Pinto has convinced me (from that roll-down thread) that I should gain about a mile per hour
(we'll see).

Regards -- DP

There is some chance I will be there. I haven't made a firm decision at this point. The route is a
deterrent. FWIW meetings don't work very well. Difficult in the overnight towns, and people tend to
start at widely varied times and ride at different paces, so meetings on the route are difficult
too. I do ride with an unambigious sign, so you can slow down <g> and say hello if you'd like.

John Riley

I'll be there, doing lucky number 13 for me. But it will be first time alone on my 'bent. Rode last
2 on our Screamer. Wife has decided (with my support) that the route will probably too hilly for the
tandem. She's opted to do SAGBRAW with me instead. It is coming through my home town, as the last
stop before Ft. Madison, according to one of our county deputies. Be ready for lots of ups, with a
few downs thrown in..

Jim Vincent Vision R50 - RANS Screamer

At 33, this native Iowan will be riding his first. Since it kicks off within a half-hour ride of my
house, there isn't much I can do but come along :)

Should I plan on bringing or leaving the fairing on the V2?

[email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Just wondering.
>
> Among the celebities, Mr. Tom Sherman would seem to have no excuse not to be there (going
> with QCBC?)
>
> I'll be there with BIC...
>
> We should arrange some kind of newsgroup meeting/shindy
>
> sj

Since it kicks off > within a half-hour ride of my house, there isn't much I can do but
> come along :)

Did I hear "RAGBRAI pre-party at Paul's house?" :)

> Should I plan on bringing or leaving the fairing on the V2?

last year was one WINDY RAGBRAI. I met no one who was unhappy with having their fairing. There were
many days I wished I'd had one.

Since this will be a hillier one, guess you'll need to figure out how big a pain it is to haul up
hill, but living on the route, you probably already know!

Sj

Now that I have seen the detailed route, I am even less inclined to go this year. Two big strethes
on US Highways... sometimes there is no alternative, but it sure looks like there is to the US 59
part. The IHP does a good job, but there are still always trucks on the major roads.

This is usually the time of year when all things seem possible, with regard to summer rides, so I
figure if I am taking a dim view _now_, it is a bad sign for me personally.

John Riley