Which one of these <$1100 steel road bike frames is "best value" for 200#, 6'1" guy?

LikeBike

Jul 26, 2004
I'm getting a new bike--It's going to be steel--It's going to be <$1100 for the frame!

The current short list is a Gunnar Roadie, Torelli Countach and Serotta Fierte Steel--apparantly all good frames! A couple of these I can ride, some I can't (no LBS).

And, at just north of 200#, 6'1"--I want to make sure I get a quality product. That means welds, paint, and fatique factor.

I'm a bit concerned about the Torelli's flex and potential fatique given my height/weight--maybe I'm just paranoid?

I really appreciate any guiandance from the forum--thanks in advance!

LikeBike said:
I'm getting a new bike--It's going to be steel--It's going to be <$1100 for the frame!

The current short list is a Gunnar Roadie, Torelli Countach and Serotta Fierte Steel--apparantly all good frames! A couple of these I can ride, some I can't (no LBS).

And, at just north of 200#, 6'1"--I want to make sure I get a quality product. That means welds, paint, and fatique factor.

I'm a bit concerned about the Torelli's flex and potential fatique given my height/weight--maybe I'm just paranoid?

Another option is the KHS Flite 800. Full Reynolds 853 steel. Stiff and light enough for heavier riders, and should come in at well under $1100, including fork.

You can get the details direct from KHS at http://www.khsbicycles.com/BB_frames_flite800_05.htm.

Bicycle Blowout is still selling 2003 frame+forks for $399, which is a killer deal! See: http://www.bicycleblowout.com/RoadBikes.htm

Reviews at: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/2003-bikes/2003-road-bike/khs-inc/PRD_138793_4338crx.aspx

Good Luck!

Try to ride each one even if you have to find someone on one of these boards to do so.

FWIW I am a little bigger than you and am considering Alu with Carbon seatstays. Too much flex/or weight penalty with the steel, but you have your mind made up so....

I always liked the Gunnar's.

Good luck.

LikeBike said:

I wouldn't worry too much about fatigue. None of those frames are really in the scary light category for steel.

I suggest looking at Curtlo Cycles. He can build you a custom True Temper OX Platinum frame for around $700. I'm 6ft4, 200lbs and he built me an S3 frame last year that I couldn't be happier with. He is over six foot and has a good understandng of our fitting needs, plus he is a pleasure to work with.

LikeBike said:

I'm a few Twix bars north of you and I ride and race on a 2004 Pinarello Opera. It is built from Dedacciai EOM 16.5 steel with a carbon rear stay and full carbon fork. I paid less than $1,000 (ebay) for a brand new one. It corners very well and sprints like a dream in my weekly crits.