White Rim ride

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Stephen Younge, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is non-technical, but could you tow a
    child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?

    cheers, Stephen

    Tags:

  2. Paul D.

    Paul D. Guest

    Most of the white rim is fairly flat or rolling. There are some fairly technical parts (notably the
    beginning and the end which is down and up mesa faces, respectively) which would be very difficult
    with a child trailer. I don't think I would recommend it, but it is probably possible. Also, there
    are many, many, many cliffs (I mean overhanging type cliffs with nothing below for hundreds of
    feet), not the kind of place I would want to take a young child. I have never seen a place of such
    beauty though, so I would hate to discourage you. -P

    "Stephen Younge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is
    non-technical,
    > but could you tow a child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?
    >
    > cheers, Stephen

  3. The Wyman'S

    The Wyman'S Guest

    _Any_ of it...yes. There are bits and pieces where you could tow that child trailer but I wouldn't
    attempt most of it unless you have a SAG to pick up the rough pieces.

    It was a great ride, though, and my first (practically only) MB outing.

    Brad

    Stephen Younge wrote:

    > Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is non-technical, but could you tow a
    > child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?
    >
    > cheers, Stephen

  4. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

  5. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    Paul D. wrote:
    > Most of the white rim is fairly flat or rolling. There are some fairly technical parts (notably
    > the beginning and the end which is down and up mesa faces, respectively) which would be very
    > difficult with a child trailer. I don't think I would recommend it, but it is probably possible.
    > Also, there are many, many, many cliffs (I mean overhanging type cliffs with nothing below for
    > hundreds of feet), not the kind of place I would want to take a young child. I have never seen a
    > place of such beauty though, so I would hate to discourage you. -P
    >
    > "Stephen Younge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is
    >
    > non-technical,
    >
    >>but could you tow a child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?
    >>
    >>cheers, Stephen

    Hey Stephen!

    Your description of White Rim ride almost makes me want to vomit with excitement and anticipation.
    Can't wait to go there.

    Kenny Lee

  6. Dale Ahrens

    Dale Ahrens Guest

    Last I heard, the record time was 8 hours for the White Rim. 6 hours would be almost 17 miles per
    hour! Over rough terrain? I don't think so.

    "terry morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Stephen Younge" wrote:
    > > Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah
    >
    > This web site has photos and a ride report:
    >
    > http://www.pawprince.com/whtrim/home.htm
    >
    > I hear the record time for the White Rim is about 6 hours, which is pretty speedy for an off-road
    > century.
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

  7. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Dale Ahrens wrote:

    > Last I heard, the record time was 8 hours for the White Rim. 6 hours would be almost 17 miles per
    > hour! Over rough terrain? I don't think so.

    The new record for the White Rim is 6:45, set by Jeremy Nobis. A little over 15 mph. Even though
    much of the terrain is flat, 15 mph off-road is pretty respectable.

  8. > _Any_ of it...yes. There are bits and pieces where you could tow that child trailer but I wouldn't
    > attempt most of it unless you have a SAG to pick up the rough pieces.
    >
    > It was a great ride, though, and my first (practically only) MB outing.

    Glad to hear it. We'd definitely have a sag wagon with us, so I'm just curious if it would be worth
    bringing the bike trailer or if it would get no use.

    Thanks for the feedback -- any more details would be appreciated!

    cheers, Stephen

  9. Www.Raph.Nl

    Www.Raph.Nl Guest

    "Stephen Younge" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is
    non-technical,
    > but could you tow a child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?
    >
    > cheers, Stephen

    How old are your kids? Do they already have teeth? If yes, don't take 'em along in a trailer if
    you want them to have teeth after the ride is done. If no, don't take 'em along in a trailer;
    you don't want them to suffer from severe neck injury after the ride. It really is a nice ride
    (which I unfortunately had to do by a 4x4) and not very technical, but I seriously doubt
    whether your children will like it if you take them along. Instead, tow your child trailer
    (without the children!) over Poison Spider Mesa and the Portal trail; I bet that you'll be the
    first to do it! ;-)

    For pictures of cycling trips around Moab, see http://www.raph.nl/usa-1993/ (winter time!) and
    http://www.raph.nl/usa-1995/

    Happy cycling!

    Raph www.raph.nl

  10. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Dale Ahrens wrote:

    > Last I heard, the record time was 8 hours for the White Rim. 6 hours would be almost 17 miles per
    > hour! Over rough terrain? I don't think so.

    New record is 6:45, set by Jeremy Nobis recently. Still a very respectable 15 mph.