White Rim ride

Stephen Younge

Guest
Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is non-technical, but could you tow a
child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?

cheers, Stephen

Most of the white rim is fairly flat or rolling. There are some fairly technical parts (notably the
beginning and the end which is down and up mesa faces, respectively) which would be very difficult
with a child trailer. I don't think I would recommend it, but it is probably possible. Also, there
are many, many, many cliffs (I mean overhanging type cliffs with nothing below for hundreds of
feet), not the kind of place I would want to take a young child. I have never seen a place of such
beauty though, so I would hate to discourage you. -P

"Stephen Younge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is
non-technical,
> but could you tow a child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?
>
> cheers, Stephen

_Any_ of it...yes. There are bits and pieces where you could tow that child trailer but I wouldn't
attempt most of it unless you have a SAG to pick up the rough pieces.

It was a great ride, though, and my first (practically only) MB outing.

Brad

Paul D. wrote:
> Most of the white rim is fairly flat or rolling. There are some fairly technical parts (notably
> the beginning and the end which is down and up mesa faces, respectively) which would be very
> difficult with a child trailer. I don't think I would recommend it, but it is probably possible.
> Also, there are many, many, many cliffs (I mean overhanging type cliffs with nothing below for
> hundreds of feet), not the kind of place I would want to take a young child. I have never seen a
> place of such beauty though, so I would hate to discourage you. -P
>
> "Stephen Younge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is
>
> non-technical,
>
>>but could you tow a child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?
>>
>>cheers, Stephen

Hey Stephen!

Your description of White Rim ride almost makes me want to vomit with excitement and anticipation.
Can't wait to go there.

Kenny Lee

Last I heard, the record time was 8 hours for the White Rim. 6 hours would be almost 17 miles per
hour! Over rough terrain? I don't think so.

news:[email protected]...

Dale Ahrens wrote:

> Last I heard, the record time was 8 hours for the White Rim. 6 hours would be almost 17 miles per
> hour! Over rough terrain? I don't think so.

The new record for the White Rim is 6:45, set by Jeremy Nobis. A little over 15 mph. Even though
much of the terrain is flat, 15 mph off-road is pretty respectable.

> _Any_ of it...yes. There are bits and pieces where you could tow that child trailer but I wouldn't
> attempt most of it unless you have a SAG to pick up the rough pieces.
>
> It was a great ride, though, and my first (practically only) MB outing.

Glad to hear it. We'd definitely have a sag wagon with us, so I'm just curious if it would be worth
bringing the bike trailer or if it would get no use.

Thanks for the feedback -- any more details would be appreciated!

cheers, Stephen

"Stephen Younge" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> Curious about the White Rim ride in Utah -- I know that it is
non-technical,
> but could you tow a child trailer on any of it behind your mtn bike?
>
> cheers, Stephen

How old are your kids? Do they already have teeth? If yes, don't take 'em along in a trailer if
you want them to have teeth after the ride is done. If no, don't take 'em along in a trailer;
you don't want them to suffer from severe neck injury after the ride. It really is a nice ride
(which I unfortunately had to do by a 4x4) and not very technical, but I seriously doubt
whether your children will like it if you take them along. Instead, tow your child trailer
(without the children!) over Poison Spider Mesa and the Portal trail; I bet that you'll be the
first to do it! ;-)

For pictures of cycling trips around Moab, see http://www.raph.nl/usa-1993/ (winter time!) and
http://www.raph.nl/usa-1995/

Happy cycling!

Raph www.raph.nl

Dale Ahrens wrote:

> Last I heard, the record time was 8 hours for the White Rim. 6 hours would be almost 17 miles per
> hour! Over rough terrain? I don't think so.

New record is 6:45, set by Jeremy Nobis recently. Still a very respectable 15 mph.