Who also reads BROL forums?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi All,

    In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums at BROL. I thought I was
    maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to me that the majority of us read both, so there
    isn't much gained in posting to both places.

    So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

    --
    Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

    Tags:

  2. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums at BROL. I thought I was
    > maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to me that the majority of us read both, so there
    > isn't much gained in posting to both places.
    >
    > So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

    Read em back to back.

  3. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums at BROL. I thought I was
    > maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to me that the majority of us read both, so there
    > isn't much gained in posting to both places.
    >
    > So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

    Read em back to back.

  4. Bob Stan

    Bob Stan Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:13:33 -0400, Rob Rudeski wrote:
    >So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

    I read

  5. Bob Stan

    Bob Stan Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:13:33 -0400, Rob Rudeski wrote:
    >So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

    I read

  6. Yep, I try to read all venues.

    Rmh "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums
    at
    > BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to
    me
    > that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting
    > both places.
    >
    > So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
    >
    > --
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

  7. Yep, I try to read all venues.

    Rmh "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums
    at
    > BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to
    me
    > that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting
    > both places.
    >
    > So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
    >
    > --
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

  8. Me too, I read and enjoy them both, along with my local SFRR and Bacchetta Yahoo talk group sites.
    Ken aka EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Aero & GRR Ti Pilot)

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums
    at
    > BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to
    me
    > that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting
    > both places.
    >
    > So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
    >
    > --
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

  9. Eddie H

    Eddie H Guest

    Yes, BROL lurker here. Also sometimes post under the "Recumbent" topic at http://www.bikeforums.net/

    Eddie "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums at BROL. I thought I was
    > maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to me that the majority of us read both, so there
    > isn't much gained in posting to both places.
    >
    > So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?

  10. Ai4i

    Ai4i Guest

    I do and I got myself into trouble for reposting something over there that I got from over here. I
    like the way this thread is going soooo vertically in lieu of diagonally.

    --

    Joel Wilson Fort Lauderdale
    Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subscriber AI4I is always on the trailing edge of technology
    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > In the past, I've posted questions both to this NG as well as the forums
    at
    > BROL. I thought I was maximizing my coverage, but the thought occurred to
    me
    > that the majority of us read both, so there isn't much gained in posting
    > both places.
    >
    > So, who also reads the BROL forums? Who does NOT read the BROL forums?
    >
    > --
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

  11. Randy Brown

    Randy Brown Guest

    > Yes, BROL lurker here. Also sometimes post under the "Recumbent" topic at
    > http://www.bikeforums.net/

    I glance at BROL and this newsgroup, but do most reading/posting at the above. Find BROL forums a
    little too "SWB rah-rah" for me. Find this newsgroup a little too off-topic to be very useful.

    BikeForums posters seem more focused and answer questions more directly than other (IMO). I also
    visit the commute, bike mechanics, and safety sections of BikeForums. Very helpful.

  12. I read this usenet newsgroup, but I currently don't read any www forums inculding BROL.

    Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader over a brain dead www
    interface that I have no control over?

  13. Ai4i

    Ai4i Guest

    Yes you must be the only one, because the web based forums have some twenty-first century niceties
    that newsgroup boards lack, like better organization, Email notification, being able to edit typos
    after the fact, and some of the smilies transfer over to my face. I read newsgroups, but I feel that
    for better or worse, most are being replaced by web based boards

    --

    Joel Wilson Fort Lauderdale
    Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subscriber AI4I is always on the trailing edge of technology
    "George MacKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I read this usenet newsgroup, but I currently don't read any www forums inculding BROL.
    >
    > Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader over a brain dead www
    > interface that I have no control over?

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    George MacKenzie wrote:

    > I read this usenet newsgroup, but I currently don't read any www forums inculding BROL.
    >
    > Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader over a brain dead www
    > interface that I have no control over?

    In my experience, all of the web forums are annoyingly slow to use with a dial-up connection.

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

  15. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 14 Sep 2003 17:16:26 -0700, George MacKenzie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Am I the only one who would far prefer to use an effective news reader

    Nope. I can't stand using web based forums. I might Google from work once in a while because our
    firewall won't let my connect to my news server.

    During the Tour de France, some guy from cyclingforums.com gave me grief because I started a thread
    that duplicated his. Of course, he was clueless to the fact that it took several hours for his post
    to make it to usenet. Sheeesh.

    I, however, have no problem with people using them who are comfortable with it. To each his own.

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary RSG Roll Call
    http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

  16. "ai4i" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Yes you must be the only one, because the web based forums have some twenty-first century niceties
    > that newsgroup boards lack, like better organization, Email notification, being able to edit typos
    > after the fact, and some of the smilies transfer over to my face. I read newsgroups, but I feel
    > that for better or worse, most are being replaced by web based boards

    Perhaps you've never encountered an effective news reader that'll allow you to do things that are
    unimaginable on the www forum interfaces I've seen. For what it is worth, I use Gnus in Emacs on a
    FreeBSD workstation, but it is also available for Windows.

  17. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi George,

    Could you give some examples of things that your newsreader can do?

    --
    Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

    "George MacKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "ai4i" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Yes you must be the only one, because the web based forums have some twenty-first century
    > > niceties that newsgroup boards lack, like better organization, Email notification, being able to
    > > edit typos after the
    fact,
    > > and some of the smilies transfer over to my face. I read newsgroups,
    but I
    > > feel that for better or worse, most are being replaced by web based
    boards

    > Perhaps you've never encountered an effective news reader that'll allow you to do things that are
    > unimaginable on the www forum interfaces I've seen. For what it is worth, I use Gnus in Emacs on a
    > FreeBSD workstation, but it is also available for Windows.

  18. Ai4i

    Ai4i Guest

    Really, the teen in the house downloads his porn with something called NewsGrabber, and I use
    Outlook Express to view some technical discussion groups. I have never used anything other
    than MSOE.

    --

  19. "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Hi George,
    >
    > Could you give some examples of things that your newsreader can do?

    Do not bother reading the following if you are happy with your newsreader. If all you want to do is
    read, post, and manage groups with as simple an interface as possible then don't waste your time
    reading the following.

    To make a very long story as short as possible: I use gnus to read Usenet newsgroups for multiple
    reasons but foremostly because it integrates seamlessly with my favorite editor, emacs. Gnus has
    over 2200 built in functions and variables, and if it can't by default do something I want, it can
    be user programmed to do whatever necessary. Additionally, all the commonly desired functionality is
    bound to simple keystrokes, so one can make very quick work of reading news.

    If you've never considered customizing your editor, don't program, don't know what editing macros
    are or why you'd want to use regular expressions, then you'd have no use for either gnus or emacs,
    and would find it very arcane. Personally, I wouldn't want to be without
    it.

    Reading WWW forums like yahoo groups is for me an extremely painful experience compared to reading
    Usenet newsgroups with my tool of choice. On typical WWW forums all you can do is read, and post,
    being forced to use a brain dead pager, and an even worse editor, and you have no control over how
    the messages are displayed - including not being able to hide messages you've already dealt with.
    However, WWW forums do enable one to participate in Internet discussions with a minimal start up
    cost, and if that is all you want and need then that is fine.

    I won't take up any more bandwidth here describing what my newsreader can do, and certainly most
    folks would not want to use a fully functional newsreader like gnus. If you want to learn more about
    gnus and emacs visit www.gnus.org and www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html. Note that emacs is
    available for MS windows users. The windows version is called ntemacs.

    Gnus and emacs are free-ware, and I have nothing to gain by others using these programs except the
    benefits of a larger user community.

    Note also that gnus isn't the only game in town. I used a threaded news reader called trn
    extensively before trying gnus.

    ---

    George MacKenzie Uprights and various homebuilt recumbents

  20. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest