Who can beat Lance in the Tour?

Phil Shibano

Guest
Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:

Hamilton - Great spring, beat Lance at Liege. Botero - Can't have a bad day but usually does.
Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on. Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
Simoni - Great climber, attacker. Herras - Best climber but he's a teammate. Garzelli - Will he be
there? Perez - Will not be there but a hope for the future. Ulrich - Will he be there? Does he
have the form? Pantini - Not the same without the dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado.. Casagrande -
Won't be there because of Rumsas Rumsas - Won't be there because of his mother in law... Zulle -
Won't be there

Who else?

"Phil Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:
>
> Hamilton - Great spring, beat Lance at Liege.
Even with a bad day by Lance, Tyler would have to beat a lot of other riders better than him.

> Botero - Can't have a bad day but usually does.
No bad days = Serious contender

> Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on.
Very consistent. If Lance falters, he could back into the yellow jersey - But can he hold it?

> Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
Don't think he'll be there

> Simoni - Great climber, attacker.
If he's there will the Giro have taken too much out of him?

> Herras - Best climber but he's a teammate.
Can't TT. He'll be too far back if and when Lance does falter

> Garzelli - Will he be there? Perez - Will not be there but a hope for the future. Ulrich - Will he
> be there? Does he have the form?
Could be a contender for a stage or two, but lack of miles and other distractions will make it tough
for him to hang on for three weeks.

> Pantini - Not the same without the dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado..
Riding better this year, but not really a factor in the Giro. Not invited to the Tour

> Casagrande - Won't be there because of Rumsas Rumsas - Won't be there because of his mother in
> law... Zulle - Won't be there
Too old to really contend anyway

> Who else?
Levi Leipheimer - If not this year, will be a contender some day Ivan Basso - same as above
Telekom Surprise

-T

>Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour: Hamilton -
>Great spring, beat Lance at Liege.

With a strong team behind him, he could be on the podium.

>Botero - Can't have a bad day but usually does.

From past years performances it's not whether he will have a bad day as much as it is how many good
days he will have. Maybe he will get better.

>Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on.

Will probably do well again this year, but it is a big step to get to the top of the podium.

>Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools. Simoni - Great climber, attacker. Herras - Best
>climber but he's a teammate.

If Lance falters, he could be in a position to take over as team leader.

>Ulrich - Will he be there? Does he have the form?

Unknown factor. Time away from the pro race scene may have hurt, or helped.

>Pantini - Not the same without the dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado..

Might be a threat in a stage or two, but not in the overall.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Phil Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:
>
>> Who else?

I think this is the point. Lance has had 4 tours and managed to avoid all the major disasters. I
realise that he does this by being strong enough to ride near the front ost of the time and with
meticulous planning. I would like to think that someone would run him close without needing him to
suffer some misfortune but I cant see it this year. It bears remembering though that Indurain looked
invincible until that very rainy day in his last tour and it all fell apart very quickly.

Stan Cox

"Phil Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:
>
> Hamilton - Great spring, beat Lance at Liege. Botero - Can't have a bad day but usually does.
> Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on. Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
> Simoni - Great climber, attacker. Herras - Best climber but he's a teammate. Garzelli - Will he be
> there? Perez - Will not be there but a hope for the future. Ulrich - Will he be there? Does he
> have the form? Pantini - Not the same without the dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado.. Casagrande -
> Won't be there because of Rumsas Rumsas - Won't be there because of his mother in law... Zulle -
> Won't be there
>
> Who else?

I'm going to bet that the only thing to derail the LA train is LA himself ala Big Mig (I actually
watched that stage on TV) in his last tour. The stage to Pamplona was the final nail in the coffin.

The Indurain era wasn't the most exciting racing to watch, but ya gotta hand it to the guy!

This also assumes that the new leader after LA blows is strong enough to hold the Maillot Jaune.

Guess we'll just have to wait till July to see who's right...

"Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Phil Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:
> >
> >> Who else?
>
> I think this is the point. Lance has had 4 tours and managed to avoid all the major disasters. I
> realise that he does this by being strong enough to ride near the front ost of the time and with
> meticulous planning. I would like to think that someone would run him close without needing him to
suffer
> some misfortune but I cant see it this year. It bears remembering though that Indurain looked
> invincible until that very rainy day in his last tour and it all fell apart very quickly.
>
> Stan Cox

If Jan Ullrick manages to get on a decent team and gets the support of them, he will win the TdF.\\

Hawke

Santi Botero....if Telekom supply the same sort of support Armstrong relies on from USP Gilberto
Simoni too if he can hold the same form he's showing in the Giro.

Jan

---

"Tony Austn" <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Schulenburg"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Phil Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > > Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
> > Don't think he'll be there
>
> If he has the right team, Aitor will be the major threat. His time trials are vicious

Not sufficiently vicious - he'd not be able to take more than 2 minutes out of Lance, whose TTing
isn't exactly poor - and he'd lose more than that in any mountain stage Lance attacks on.

If Botero could be consistent, that'd be interesting, though.

Hamilton might also be interesting - if he has good days in the mountains.

Beloki isn't going to win the Tour - consistent, but he doesn't take much if anything out of Lance
on TTs, and isn't confident enough to attack any decent group (which is a pity...).

2p'th, anyway.

Peter

[email protected] (Phil Shibano) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:

Pascal Lance has been retired for several years now, so I don't see the relavance of the
question....

--B_3136566216_466110 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit

Cadel Evans ­ broke his collarbone earlier this year so will probably ride in support of Botero.
Unbelievable climber and can time trial extremely well as was shown in last years Giro with Mapei.

On 23/5/03 1:40 AM, in article [email protected], "Phil Shibano"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:
>
> Hamilton - Great spring, beat Lance at Liege. Botero - Can't have a bad day but usually does.
> Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on. Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
> Simoni - Great climber, attacker. Herras - Best climber but he's a teammate. Garzelli - Will he be
> there? Perez - Will not be there but a hope for the future. Ulrich - Will he be there? Does he
> have the form? Pantini - Not the same without the dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado.. Casagrande -
> Won't be there because of Rumsas Rumsas - Won't be there because of his mother in law... Zulle -
> Won't be there
>
> Who else?

--B_3136566216_466110 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding:
quoted-printable

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Re: Who can beat Lance in the Tour?</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT
FACE=3D"Verdana">Cadel Evans – broke his collarbone earlier this = year so will probably ride
in support of Botero. Unbelievable climber and ca= n time trial extremely well as was shown in last
years Giro with Mapei. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> On
23/5/03 1:40 AM, in article [email protected].= com, "Phil
Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote:<BR> <BR> </FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT>Here's a list of the guys who co= uld beat Lance if he finally has a bad<BR> day
in the Tour:<BR> <BR> Hamilton - Great spring, beat Lance at Liege.<BR> Botero - Can't have a bad
day but usually does.<BR> Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on.<BR> Gonzalez - Great
Vuelta last year, has the tools.<BR> Simoni - Great climber, attacker.<BR> Herras - Best climber but
he's a teammate.<BR> Garzelli - Will he be there?<BR> Perez - Will not be there but a hope for the
future.<BR> Ulrich - Will he be there? Does he have the form?<BR> Pantini - Not the same without the
dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado..<BR> Casagrande - Won't be there because of Rumsas<BR> Rumsas -
Won't be there because of his mother in law...<BR> Zulle - Won't be there<BR> <BR> Who else?<BR>
</TT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT><BR> </TT></FONT> </BODY> </HTML>

--B_3136566216_466110--

> Levi Leipheimer - If not this year, will be a contender some day

Too distracted by his wife, Odessa, to ever be a factor.

[email protected] (Phil Shibano) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:
>

> Hamilton - Great spring, beat Lance at Liege.
If he is in form for the tour he's my Number 2. He has also Carlos Sastre at his side.

> Botero - Can't have a bad day but usually does.
Yes, but there are too many co-leaders in Telekom this year: C.Evans and Savoldelli are also GC
contenders and Zabel will certainy _not_ work for any of them.

> Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on.
Without Igor GDG, Sainz will perhaps finally focus 100% on Beloki. But I am not sure if this enough,
because ONCE always has the vuelta on the back of their minds.

> Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
If he uses the giro to prepare himself for the tour. If he continues to contest the giro GC he is
not in form for the tour anymore. See Hamilton last year.

> Simoni - Great climber, attacker.
Giro and tour back-to-back? Doubtful. And the time trials in the tour are longer than in the giro.

> Herras - Best climber but he's a teammate.
What a shame!

> Garzelli - Will he be there?
See coment for Simoni.

> Perez - Will not be there but a hope for the future.
Which one? Milaneza-Perez? Can't time trial. But fun to watch in the mountains.

> Ulrich - Will he be there? Does he have the form?
After all this trouble? I think we will see a rather quite Ullrich at the tour.

> Pantini - Not the same without the dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado..
Maybe next year, but probably never again.

> Casagrande - Won't be there because of Rumsas
Can't time trial well enough anyway. Remember Garzelli's giro win?

> Rumsas - Won't be there because of his mother in law...
I think we saw the best Rumas last year anyway. He couldn't do it then, he won't do better
next time.

> Zulle - Won't be there
I never understood why Phonak signed him up in the first place. He was with Coast for 2 years and
they didn't get a wildcard. Why should Phonak get any now?

> Who else?

Leipheimer Not with Booger on the block. He (and Freire) won't win anything as long as the team
works for the Booger.

Ivan Basso I doubt he has improved that much.

Cadel Evans See comment for Botero.

Savoldelli See comment for Botero.

Igor GDG Next year maybe. If he can learn to climb some vuelta cols.

Frigo Don't expect to do him any better than last year.

Angel Casero Does he still stick with Ullrich or what?

Popovitch Can't wait to see how well he does in this giro! Maybe in 2-3 years, where he will be
ridng against:

Oscar Sevillia I hope he is doing better than last year!

Christophe Moreau We will see how many times he crashes, then we will decide.

Some Alessio guy?

Some Banesto guy?

Who else? Patrice Halgand of Jean Delatour? ;-)

My Top5 favorites so far:
1. You-know-who 2-4: Beloki, Botero, Hamilton (in any order)
2: Ullrich

Callistus Valerius wrote:

> > Levi Leipheimer - If not this year, will be a contender some day
>
> Too distracted by his wife, Odessa, to ever be a factor.

Hell.. if YOU were married to Odessa, wouldn't YOU be distracted? :^)

Joe
--
#----------------------------------------------------------# Penguinix Consulting #
#----------------------------------------------------------# Software development, QA and testing. #

[email protected] (Cyrus) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Phil Shibano) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Here's a list of the guys who could beat Lance if he finally has a bad day in the Tour:
> >

> > Hamilton - Great spring, beat Lance at Liege.
> If he is in form for the tour he's my Number 2. He has also Carlos Sastre at his side.
>
> > Botero - Can't have a bad day but usually does.
> Yes, but there are too many co-leaders in Telekom this year: C.Evans and Savoldelli are also GC
> contenders and Zabel will certainy _not_ work for any of them.
>
> > Beloki - A pretender, but capable of hanging on.
> Without Igor GDG, Sainz will perhaps finally focus 100% on Beloki. But I am not sure if this
> enough, because ONCE always has the vuelta on the back of their minds.
>
> > Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
> If he uses the giro to prepare himself for the tour. If he continues to contest the giro GC he is
> not in form for the tour anymore. See Hamilton last year.
>
> > Simoni - Great climber, attacker.
> Giro and tour back-to-back? Doubtful. And the time trials in the tour are longer than in the giro.
>
> > Herras - Best climber but he's a teammate.
> What a shame!
>
> > Garzelli - Will he be there?
> See coment for Simoni.
>
> > Perez - Will not be there but a hope for the future.
> Which one? Milaneza-Perez? Can't time trial. But fun to watch in the mountains.

Milaneza Perez. He was smokin' at Romandie.

> > Ulrich - Will he be there? Does he have the form?
> After all this trouble? I think we will see a rather quite Ullrich at the tour.
>
> > Pantini - Not the same without the dope. Kinda like Pedro Delgado..
> Maybe next year, but probably never again.
>
> > Casagrande - Won't be there because of Rumsas
> Can't time trial well enough anyway. Remember Garzelli's giro win?
>
> > Rumsas - Won't be there because of his mother in law...
> I think we saw the best Rumas last year anyway. He couldn't do it then, he won't do better
> next time.
>
> > Zulle - Won't be there
> I never understood why Phonak signed him up in the first place. He was with Coast for 2 years and
> they didn't get a wildcard. Why should Phonak get any now?
>

> > Who else?
>

> Leipheimer Not with Booger on the block. He (and Freire) won't win anything as long as the team
> works for the Booger.

A great talent, but just how many Americans can we hope for on the podium?

> Ivan Basso I doubt he has improved that much.
>
> Cadel Evans See comment for Botero.
>
> Savoldelli See comment for Botero.

He's had his 15 minutes - he won't get 15 more.

> Igor GDG Next year maybe. If he can learn to climb some vuelta cols.

If his asthma doesn't get him first. Wore yellow last year but still had to work for Beloki.

> Frigo Don't expect to do him any better than last year.

Could suprise.

> Angel Casero Does he still stick with Ullrich or what?
>
> Popovitch Can't wait to see how well he does in this giro! Maybe in 2-3 years, where he will be
> ridng against:
>
> Oscar Sevillia I hope he is doing better than last year!

This guy needs a rabbit's foot - or two.

> Christophe Moreau We will see how many times he crashes, then we will decide.

He's French and that automatically eliminates him from contention in the TdF.

> Some Alessio guy?
>
> Some Banesto guy?
>

> Who else? Patrice Halgand of Jean Delatour? ;-)
>

> My Top5 favorites so far:
> 1. You-know-who 2-4: Beloki, Botero, Hamilton (in any order)
> 5: Ullrich

Can't argue with this. I only hope that its at least a little competative this year. Last years
Vuelta and this year's Giro were both competative and fun to follow. The 2002 TdF was a snoozer
unless you're rabid about the green jersey. I'd like to see Botero crack this race open for a while
to make it interesting. Hell, I'd like to see him win. (He is American, after all....)

On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:51:23 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Phil Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> Who else?
>
>I think this is the point. Lance has had 4 tours and managed to avoid all the major disasters. I
>realise that he does this by being strong enough to ride near the front ost of the time and with
>meticulous planning. I would

A wife separating from you is quite a significant crash. The emotional stress is great. He also
doesn't know the outcome. But then he overcame cancer, so I guess even that is possible.

Will Rik Verbrugghe be in form for the Tour? How is his injury? That guy was smokin' last year,
but dropped out of the Giro very early. He looks pretty weird with the new haircut. Sometimes when
they get weird haircuts or dye its sometimes a sign they're doping. What about David Millar? Maybe
he can finish in the top 8. I'm sure he's keying on this. You know as he gets older he may gain
some maturity.

"UrbanCyclist" <[email protected]> a écrit news:[email protected]...

> Sometimes when they get weird haircuts or dye its sometimes a sign they're doping.

This is an abysmally stupid comment. Shame on you. Double "sometimes", to boot. Class A rumormonger
and idiot. Try saying it to his face.

Tony Austn <[email protected]_screw_spam> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Schulenburg"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Phil Shibano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> > Gonzalez - Great Vuelta last year, has the tools.
>> Don't think he'll be there
>
> If he has the right team, Aitor will be the major threat. His time trials are vicious

He will *NOT* be there. For '03 he decided to take part in Giro and Vuelta. The Fassa leader for le
tour will be Ivan Basso.