who sells high quality bent cables?

Steve Knight

Guest
the limbo comes with cheap cables and cheap hosing. the housing part is easy
but who sells high quality cable?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight wrote:
> the limbo comes with cheap cables and cheap hosing. the housing part is easy
> but who sells high quality cable?

Cables are cables are cables. Nothing special about 'bents in that
regard. If you can't find the length you need check out a tandem supplier.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

>Cables are cables are cables. Nothing special about 'bents in that
>regard. If you can't find the length you need check out a tandem supplier.

I have had cheap ones that tend to shred when adjusting the brakes. adjust them
once or twice and pieces are popping off. where the good shimano ones I got from
my road bike seem to hold up for several adjustments.

--

Steve Knight wrote:

> I have had cheap ones that tend to shred when adjusting the brakes. adjust them
> once or twice and pieces are popping off. where the good shimano ones I got from
> my road bike seem to hold up for several adjustments.

I didn't make myself clear... while you can have good cables and bad
cables, there aren't 'bent cables and upright cables. A good cable
should work equally well on a 'bent or an upright. Upright tandems will
use longer cables than solos so if you can't find something long enough
to reach the rear mechs then a tandem supplier should have good quality
ones that are long enough, but you may well find you can get something
long enough anyway.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Good quality, lined housing paired with a stainless steel cable works
well, and is pretty inexpensive. The QBP cables/housing that most bike
shops stock have worked well for me on various bents.

If you need something longer, most shops can get (or stock)
tandem-length cables. These are easy to find online, too.

--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Steve Knight wrote:
> > the limbo comes with cheap cables and cheap hosing. the housing part is easy
> > but who sells high quality cable?

> Cables are cables are cables. Nothing special about 'bents in that
> regard. If you can't find the length you need check out a tandem supplier.
>
> Pete.

True. Although there's some difference between the cheapest cables and
those sold under the Quality Bicycle Products label. They tend to be
smoother and have more neatly formed ends. I get mine from either
Coventry Cycle Works (on Hawthorne in Portland) or Gateway Bicycles
(on Halsey).

Personally, the first upgrade I'd do to a bike with cheap brakes would
be to replace the brake shoes with Kool Stop salmons. They're much
better than anything stock.

Jeff

>Personally, the first upgrade I'd do to a bike with cheap brakes would
>be to replace the brake shoes with Kool Stop salmons. They're much
>better than anything stock.

did that already but it sure shredded the cable.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

>I didn't make myself clear... while you can have good cables and bad
>cables, there aren't 'bent cables and upright cables. A good cable
>should work equally well on a 'bent or an upright.

I was thinking length. I was not sure if I could get to the rear.

--

Steve Knight wrote:

>>Personally, the first upgrade I'd do to a bike with cheap brakes would
>>be to replace the brake shoes with Kool Stop salmons. They're much
>>better than anything stock.

> did that already but it sure shredded the cable.

How does upgrading your brakepads shred a cable? Did you repeatedly
move/clamp the cable?

--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO
http://www.MileHighSkates.com

>How does upgrading your brakepads shred a cable? Did you repeatedly
>move/clamp the cable?

it took a few times to get it perfect. I am not used to that setup and I don't
have a stand that can hold the bike. but I think the cable shredded the first
time I loosened it.
bike shops never have the brake pads close enough to the wheel for me. you
have to have the lever about 1/2 way squeezed before you get any braking.

--

Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >I didn't make myself clear... while you can have good cables and bad
> >cables, there aren't 'bent cables and upright cables. A good cable
> >should work equally well on a 'bent or an upright.

> I was thinking length. I was not sure if I could get to the rear.

That's why I suggested Gateway Cycles. They sell lots of Santana
tandems (they even have a triple on the floor). Coventry sells bunches
of recumbents, so they always have extra-long cables in stock. IIRC,
you're about equidistant from Gateway and Coventry.

Jeff

Steve Knight <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> the limbo comes with cheap cables and cheap hosing. the housing part is easy
> but who sells high quality cable?

BOY!!! That's a hard one.... I went all over from San Francisco to
Monterey until I found the "perfect" ones; with the Teflon coating and
everything! VERY long trip: about a half mile to the LBS in Santa
Cruz, CA., servicing beach cruisers or old racing 10 speeds.

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

>That's why I suggested Gateway Cycles. They sell lots of Santana
>tandems (they even have a triple on the floor). Coventry sells bunches
>of recumbents, so they always have extra-long cables in stock. IIRC,
>you're about equidistant from Gateway and Coventry.

I was going to ask Coventry but forgot too last time. though they don't have a
lot of higher end stuff. well parts anyway.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Another way to make regular cables super slippery like the teflon kind is to
use cable lube. I personally like cable magic. I use it anytime i'm recabling
and rehousing.

J Gaerlan - Gaerlan Custom Cycles
http://www.gaerlan.com
"home of travel bikes and bike travels"