Who was the last...

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:52:06 -0800, Mike Rogers wrote:

> A.M-B'er to die?

There was that time I was chatting to a couple of girls in a club and pretending to be Australian.

"So are you really Aussie, or are you just some **** putting on an Aussie accent?"

"Um, I'll get me coat..."

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:52:06 -0800, Mike Rogers wrote:
>
> > A.M-B'er to die?
>
> There was that time I was chatting to a couple of girls in a club and pretending to be Australian.
>
> "So are you really Aussie, or are you just some **** putting on an Aussie accent?"
>
> "Um, I'll get me coat..."

Very astute of you Jonathan.

JD

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:52:06 -0800, Mike Rogers wrote:
>
> > A.M-B'er to die?
>
> There was that time I was chatting to a couple of girls in a club and pretending to be Australian.
>
> "So are you really Aussie, or are you just some **** putting on an Aussie accent?"
>
> "Um, I'll get me coat..."

Just out of interest (as an Australian), are girls in your neck of the woods impressed with
Australian accents? Or does it have to be the Steve Urwin (Crocodile Hunter) "by CRIKEY, that was a
big one" type of accent?

Cheers,

Tim (who has never said "crikey" in real conversation)

"Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:52:06 -0800, Mike Rogers wrote:
> >
> > > A.M-B'er to die?
> >
> > There was that time I was chatting to a couple of girls in a club and pretending to be
> > Australian.
> >
> > "So are you really Aussie, or are you just some **** putting on an
Aussie
> > accent?"
> >
> > "Um, I'll get me coat..."
>
> Just out of interest (as an Australian), are girls in your neck of the
woods
> impressed with Australian accents? Or does it have to be the Steve Urwin (Crocodile Hunter) "by
> CRIKEY, that was a big one" type of accent?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim (who has never said "crikey" in real conversation)

Well American girls seem to fancy Australian accents from what I've witnessed on several occasions.
I'm Australian but have grown up in the USA. My accent is primarily American. Last time I was in
Australia I heard several times how cool my accent was (from girls).

I think it's sort of a "grass is greener" kind of phenomenon.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Well American girls seem to fancy Australian accents from what I've witnessed on several
> occasions. I'm Australian but have grown up in the USA. My accent is primarily American. Last time
> I was in Australia I heard several times how cool my accent was (from girls).
>
> I think it's sort of a "grass is greener" kind of phenomenon.

Heh..that's kinda surprising. Often when Australians or British folks imitate an American accent, it
comes out all whiney and nasaly (if that's word). I always assumed we sounded terrible to them. :)

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

> > Well American girls seem to fancy Australian accents from what I've witnessed on several
> > occasions. I'm Australian but have grown up in the USA. My accent is primarily American. Last
> > time I was in Australia I heard several times how cool my accent was (from girls).
> >
> > I think it's sort of a "grass is greener" kind of phenomenon.
> >

> Heh..that's kinda surprising. Often when Australians or British folks imitate an American accent,
> it comes out all whiney and nasaly (if that's word). I always assumed we sounded terrible to
> them. :)

That's funny, when Americans try to imitate Aussie accent, it often sounds like a poor English
accent to me.

Funny thing was, as a fit tall bloke asking for vegetarian food for the lunch spread from the
receptionist in our Chicago office, with the accent and all she thought I was from California (I
guess they're not used to non-cow eating people up there!)

Tim