Why are 'bents...

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> No they don't. You can get a decent Roberts with much better kit on
> it for less than a good 'bent, and I had a three-seater Thorn that

How much does Roberts charge for this frames then? I thought that he
was going to be around the 800 squid mark. You might end up with
better bits on, but unless you put very cheap bits on a custom Roberts
(which would be perverse) the total spend is going to be in the 1500
to 2000 pound range easily and that's bent terroritory.

--
Arthur Clune

Andy Morris wrote:
> Arellcat wrote:
> >
> > I have NAD hi-fi separates - I think the 3020 sounds pretty good for
> > its price. Perhaps if I was as much of an audiophile as I am a
> > bikeophile I'd spend rather more!
> >

> I bought one on those in 1980. Still got it still sounds good.

ditto; combined with an MD/CD player and DVDR it does all my home hifi
/ cinema. I remember one reason I bought it at the time was its lack of
gizmo lights/buttons/dials (although this now means I cannot use a tape
deck or tuner with it, not enough inputs).

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>

>> No they don't. You can get a decent Roberts with much better kit on
>> it for less than a good 'bent, and I had a three-seater Thorn that

> How much does Roberts charge for this frames then? I thought that he
> was going to be around the 800 squid mark.

Roberts website says from £600

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

>> How much does Roberts charge for this frames then? I thought that he
>> was going to be around the 800 squid mark.

> Roberts website says from ?600

Grin. "from". So I suspect my 800 wasn't that far off the mark :)

--
Arthur Clune

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:42:52 +0000, Zog The Undeniable
> <[email protected]> said in <43bd7a59.0@entanet>:
>

>>Because they're made in countries where labour is expensive, like here
>>or Germany.

> As are Brompton, Longstaff, Thorn, Roberts and so on.
>
> Guy

I think you may find that as of 2005 Thorn are no longer made here. i
think the frames used to be made by LA cycles of Coventry. As a result
of the loss of Thorn's business they have now downsized considerably,
and are now called Lee Cooper cycles. I believe Thorn frames are now
made in Taiwan.
This is all based on what I have heard, so may not be correct.
Jo