At 01:46 PM 4/17/04 -0700 said:Dr. Vandeman,
Quoted message said:I have just read a number of your web pages regarding your opinion on mountain
bikers. I am compelled to comment that I am surprised by the apparent bias and
emotionality that characterizes your writing, especially in light of your
advanced education.
Quoted message said:Your evident vitriol and global miscategorization of all bicycle riders as
essentially one homogeneous group of sociopaths obstructs your quite valid and
important point that there are a number of idiots who mistreat the trails and
threaten the safety and comfort of all types of trail users--and it is the
impact of this subpopulation that must be addressed.
You COMPLETELY missed my point, leading me to suspect that you didn't read
carefully. I never said anything like that. Intimidation of wildlife and other
trail users is NOT restricted to idiots. ALL mountain bikers, due to the
presence of bikes, intimidate wildlife and other trail users. We never know when
someone is going to come around a blind turn too fast and run into us.
Quoted message said:I would like to point out that these outlawriders aggravate and threaten those
of us who ride responsibly, and they cause us as much concern for the continued
well-being of the trail system as they do for hikers. A number of us work
quite hard to educate these inconsiderate riders and enforce rules to help keep
them off the trails.
And it doesn't work, does it? I have heard the same story for a decade.
Quoted message said:Many mountain bikers are quite ecologically conscious, in part because its
consistent with their own best self-interest. A number of mountain biking
groups engage in extensive trail maintenance that benefits hikers as well. Such
maintenance addresses issues of naturally-caused trail erosion, safety, and
emergency access for hikers, equestrians, and bikers. Mountain bikers
frequently report and help repair trail hazards and other problems that help
shield land managers from liability and keep trails open.
I am not interested in trail maintenance or "keeping trails open". Neither
benefit wildlife.
Quoted message said:You cannot look at the data dispassionately and seriously state that there
arent ignorant, rule-breaking, and trail-damaging hikers as well.
Irrelevant. How does that excuse mountain biking???
Quoted message said:I have many times seen hikers and campers discard garbage, including water
bottles, beer cans, cigarettes and the like upon the trails. I have frequently
heard radios and boom boxes in wilderness areas, and witnessed countless acts of
vandalism by people on foot.
Quoted message said:Furthermore, the damage that the equestrians do to the trails is considerably
more than the bikers.
Irrelevant. How does that excuse mountain biking???
Quoted message said:Consider the impact of a 150 lb. rider upon a 1,000 lb. horse set upon four
metal horseshoes versus a 150 lb. rider upon a 30 lb. bicycle and two rubber
tires. The more severe erosion problem from the equestrian is obvious, yet I
have yet to see any equestrians doing trail repair or maintenance. And I am
compelled to point out that bicycle riders do not leave large piles of manure in
the middle of trails.
Quoted message said:Finally, please consider what some mountain bike riders are like. Whenever I
ride (always on designated trails), I bring along a number of safety and
survival items.
You could hike and do the same. It's irrelevant. How does that excuse mountain
biking???
Quoted message said:I maintain an Emergency Medical Technician certificate solely for good
Samaritan purposes. I have provided hikers and bikers with first aid (the
supplies are always at my own expense), water, and directions on many, many
occasions. I am a member of several organizations that work to address the
issues that you mention. You might explore their websites ( for example,
www.imba.com. Also see
http://www.imba.com/news/news_releases/03_04/03_31_science_review.html for a
review of relevant studies) to see how important trail safety and courtesy is to
these groups and to discover the substantial efforts they are making to reduce
the abuse done by a small minority of riders . You might also speak with
Patrick Balizan of the East Bay Regional Park Police. He heads an all volunteer
organization of hikers, bikers, and equestrians who provide first aid,
education, assistance, and supplies to trail users and help enforce park rules
to ensure safe, cooperative use of the trail system by all users.
The only time I could have used first aid is when a mountain biker deliberately
ran into me, because I told him that the trail was closed to bikes.
Quoted message said:Each of these volunteer members not only supports the causes you champion,
but is actively donating time, money, and energy to further those causes.
Irrelevant. How does that excuse mountain biking???
Quoted message said:So, please, in the interest of achieving the important ecological goals for
which you advocate, dont allow yourself to be seduced by an overly emotional,
derisive, and biased position that stereotypes trail users and splits people
into competing and antagonistic groups. Nothing useful can come of that. We
all need to cooperate if we are going to preserve our natural resources.
You completely missed my point. Even the most polite, well-behaved mountain
biker: accelerates erosion, and drives wildlife and other trail users out of the
area.
Quoted message said:The bottom line is: An [censored] is an [censored], whether he hikes, bikes, or
rides a horse. And clearly each group has its share. So what would you think
if we refrain from publishing inflammatory, prejudicial stereotypes of the type
against which we have fought so hard during the last fifty or so years? Instead,
using a factually accurate, dispassionate manner, lets do what we can to address
the trouble makers in each trail user group. It always works better when we all
pull in the same direction.
It's incredible, how you could read something and TOTALLY miss the point.
Quoted message said:Steven J. Shotz, Psy.D.
Quoted message said:[email hidden]
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)