Why can't american cities ban cars?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Chalo:
>> The car-free center of Groningen in the Netherlands is probably the
>> best example of the benefits of restricting car traffic. By all
>> accounts, Groningen is a more prosperous and far more humane place
>> than it would have been with the usual free rein granted to motor
>> vehicles.

> Last time I was in Limburg, Germany the city *seemed* tb about
> 75% car-free. Basically large pedestrian-only zones punctuated
> by automobile traffic streets.
>
> "Seemed" bc I don't have a clue as to what the actual percentage
> is... just that as somebody visiting (coming by bike from about
> 10 miles away) my impression was that it was mostly car-free in
> the shopping areas.

Kiel claims to be the first place in Europe to have a "footzplatz." It's
not very big and the "first" claim may not be true.

The stores are serviced at night or by back alley. When Kiel started it,
the point was to ban horses. You know that horses can kill pedestrians,
too? And after enough pedestrians got killed, the city took action.

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:42:26 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech "Greens"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Seat belts were around for a long time before people started to wear them.
>They werern't used by motorists until laws were passed requiring them and
>the police enforced the law.

Bicycle helmets are a good idea; they have been proven to save lives.
Some cities (Austin, TX, about '97 or so, comes to mind) have, in the
past, enacted and enforced laws requiring helmets for cyclists. These
were less than popular.

How do you feel about this type of law?

I heard a story (also heard it wasn't so) that Alaska does not have a
motorcycle helmet law, but, if a motorcyclist is in an accident and
not wearing a helmet, then the other party is not liable for any head
trauma suffered by the cyclist. I don't know if it's a fact; however,
it sounds reasonable.

Comments?

Jones

On Sep 24, 1:43 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 11:42 pm, "Greens" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Soon I have to go buy new beds for my kids because they are growing. Doing
> that without a car would be whole orders of magnitude more of a
> hassle, no doubt much more expensive, and would take hugely more time.

Would it be possible to have the store deliver your new beds to you?
Some stores offer *free* shipping or there might be a small deliver
charge. It would probably be cheaper than owning a car.

Alternatively, could you rent a truck or van for the day to handle
this delivery? Its not like you're buying beds every day.

But, if you have kids, or elderly parents, that need to be taken to
different places, then cars are a necessity.

Personally, I love to drive (I own a BMW). But, I either commute by
bike or use public transit at least 2-4 times a week. I've been doing
this for many years. Nevertheless, I still average over 6,000 miles
per year driving my kids and mom around. Sigh, that's life!

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:37:22 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech A Muzi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>That's true but some did not. State Street in Chicago, for example, was
>a debacle.
>
>Also the change in behavior patterns can be extreme, with radical shifts
>in use, viable business types etc.
>
>In our neighborhood we're among the last businesses doing any
>sales/service of hard goods* as the national chains have blossomed to
>sell beer, burgers & tchotchkes to tourists. Not that that isn't viable.
>And the property tax take is up (chains can pay much more). But it sure
>is different with no steel supplier, no more 4 auto parts stores, no big
>industrial supply house, no full hardware store, 2 welding supply houses
>gone, etc. All were within walking distance, now outside the city.
>
>Playing 'monopoly' with a city is not for sissies! There are inherently
>both winners and losers. You are not wrong but the stakes are huge and
>mistakes cost.
>(*without the net we would have to move)

Good points. All of that cuts both ways.

Jones

!Jones wrote:
> Bicycle helmets

-snip further provocation-

Topic's been beaten to death here. More than a few times.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:54:38 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The car-free center of Groningen in the Netherlands is probably the
>best example of the benefits of restricting car traffic.

So, do you know that town? I took an opportunity to teach at
Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (University of Groningen) for a semester
in '99 and we had the time of our lives... I took the wife, of course.
She asked if I was planning on taking her as I was doing the paperwork
and I said: "Would you take a cow to a dairy?" or something to that
effect... not great judgement on my part!!! (I had to put the toilet
seat down for a whole *month* in penance.) Financially, it wasn't
real plush; however, we had a dorm room... beautiful town, that. We'd
rent a tandem on the weekends and my back *still* hurts from the damn
low frames (I'm 6' 5").

Back then, you were allowed to drive; however, parking cost about
$1.50 a minute at the meters and the tow trucks were there within 90
seconds if it expired. A car was considered a luxury beyond the means
of most citizens... seems like on-campus parking was $700 a month or
so. Whatever it was, we didn't consider it.

Jones

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:02:10 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech A Muzi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Topic's been beaten to death here. More than a few times.

Hey, Andrew... I'm a Usenet troll. What more can I say?

Jones

In article <[email protected]>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Although it surely must help for a car-free zone to have the physical
> scale of a medieval city, just about any downtown laid out before the
> advent of automobiles has by its nature a suitable physical
> arrangement (though not necessarily a suitable range of businesses) to
> serve in that role.
>
> It's time for car driving to disappear as an urban practice, much as
> heating with coal and pitching excrement out on the street have
> disappeared. It just ain't civilized. Although the reasons for doing
> it are clear, just as the reasons for heaving **** out of windows were
> clear to the folks who did that, there are better ways of going to
> work and getting around to do our commerce and entertainment. We
> could have those better forms of transport, and the better way of
> living that goes with them, if we only devoted a fraction of the
> resources to them that we already do to our cars, streets, and
> highways.

Excellent points.

A predictable outcome of banning cars from communities designed with
autos in mind is to demonstrate how unviable they are without them.
Indeed, the real question should be not 'Why don't we ban cars?', but
'Why do we perpetuate a culture that elevates 'em to such prominence as
to be virtually indispensable?'.

I agree: directing resources away from auto-centric infrastructure in
hand with a more enlightened urban planning creed would do much to
render the OP's question moot.

> Me, I'm for taxing TV watching, a lot.
>
> Scott G.

that's an interesting thought. how about internet?

"vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>
>> The translation was (loosely, but pretty close): "You guys are
>> sooooo full of ****! Have you *ever* had to go everywhere on a
>> bicycle?"

> Back in the late '70's when Chinese students in the US were a novelty, I
> knew two of them. They had no interest in bicycles. They wanted a car! It
> didn't matter that they didn't have a driver's license, that was merely a
> bureaucratic problem that could easily be solved by a little cash.
>
> They took me along to look at a car to buy. It was for sale by a Taiwanese
> student that I think had been here a little too long, if you catch my
> drift. He was real sharp. I pointed out that is was burning oil badly, the
> suspension was shot, and the body was rusted through in a dozen places. I
> told them I thought it was a dog and that they could do better. Watching
> them talk to that Taiwanese kid reminded me of country bumpkins talking to
> city slickers.
>
> Do you think they listened to me? Not for a second. Who will you gonna
> trust? I'm the wrong color. So they bought the car and I drove it home for
> them. We filled it up with oil which about poured out the bottom and on
> the way, it threw a rod.
>
> When they found out what it cost to fix the car, they began asking me
> about bicycles.
>
> Cars are very seductive.

Tell me about it. I love my car. I've loved them all. Maybe my favorite was
a japanese sports car with little room and lots of horsepower. It got bad
mileage, but it sounded great and was a blast around corners.

I think cars and the open road are the epitome of what we call "freedom" in
the USA. Being able to vote is no big thrill. Literally being able to
overthrow the government at election time does not impress the average
yankee. The individual's vote is lost in the masses. Being able to pilot a
muscle car at any speed* we want down any of the 6 gazillion miles of
blacktop in the USA - that is FREEDOM.

*of course there are speed limits, but you can still exceed them and drive
like Steve McQueen in Bullit until they catch you. If you can get to the
rocket pack you've stashed in the woods, you can easily dump that stolen
cobra and fly away to fight another day.

In article <[email protected]>,
Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:40:11 +0000, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

[more on car-free zones]

> >> It's time for car driving to disappear as an urban practice, much as
> >> heating with coal and pitching excrement out on the street have
> >> disappeared.

> > Nobody had to ban coal heating, horses as transportation, or open
> > sewers. In each case, as soon as a superior alternative arrived (for
> > horses, it was arguably bicycles, with a lot of help from trains),
> > people abandoned the old ways as soon as they could afford to*.

> > *Okay, indoor plumbing depended on the massive public works project
> > known as the sewer system

> Whereas a system of highways suitable for automobiles didn't?

Automobiles didn't depend on that system, any more than the bicycles
depended on the "good roads campaign:"

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9403E2D91730E033A25752C2A9
6F9C94659ED7CF

It's pretty cool that the NYT finally opened up their archives, eh?

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 03:42:06 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:40:11 +0000, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

>[more on car-free zones]

>> > Nobody had to ban coal heating, horses as transportation, or open
>> > sewers. In each case, as soon as a superior alternative arrived (for
>> > horses, it was arguably bicycles, with a lot of help from trains),
>> > people abandoned the old ways as soon as they could afford to*.

>> > *Okay, indoor plumbing depended on the massive public works project
>> > known as the sewer system

>> Whereas a system of highways suitable for automobiles didn't?

>Automobiles didn't depend on that system, any more than the bicycles
>depended on the "good roads campaign:"
>
>http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9403E2D91730E033A25752C2A9
>6F9C94659ED7CF
>
>It's pretty cool that the NYT finally opened up their archives, eh?

Dear Ryan,

Ooh! Ooh!

Gee, only 9,599 results, that won't take long . . .

Let's look at the first one . . . June 11, 1880 . . .

"A bicycle is dangerous, not when it is in motion, but when it is at
rest. It is then that it throws its rider and tramples on him with a
viciousness that the depraved horse would be ashamed to exhibit. When
the novice tries to get on his bicycle, he invariably falls over and
under it two or three times. If he can once get it started at a fair
pace, it will ... [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9507E0DB1630EE3ABC4952DFB066838B699FDE

(It gets even better after that--click on the pdf link for the whole
sordid story!)

Ooh! Ooh!

Gratefully,

Carl Fogel

!Jones wrote:

> I took an opportunity to teach at
> Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (University of Groningen) for a semester
> in '99 and we had the time of our lives... I took the wife, of course.

<snip>
> ... beautiful town, that. We'd
> rent a tandem on the weekends and my back *still* hurts from the damn
> low frames (I'm 6' 5").

Funny that there weren't taller bike options available, since 6'5"
isn't unusually tall in Friesland (or, I'd expect, in neighboring
Groningen.) According to the data at the following link, 3.6% of
Dutch men are 6'5" or taller, compared to 0.2% of US men:

http://www.tallpages.com/uk/index.php?pag=ukstatist.php

I know that Dutch bikes can be bought in the 70cm frame size with
relative ease, when that would be strictly a custom-built frame in the
USA.

Chalo

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 03:42:06 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Gary Young <[email protected]> wrote:

> >[more on car-free zones]

> >> Whereas a system of highways suitable for automobiles didn't?

> >Automobiles didn't depend on that system, any more than the bicycles
> >depended on the "good roads campaign:"
> >
> >http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9403E2D91730E033A25752C2A9
> >6F9C94659ED7CF
> >
> >It's pretty cool that the NYT finally opened up their archives, eh?

> Dear Ryan,
>
> Ooh! Ooh!

> Gee, only 9,599 results, that won't take long . . .
>
> Let's look at the first one . . . June 11, 1880 . . .
>
> "A bicycle is dangerous, not when it is in motion, but when it is at
> rest. It is then that it throws its rider and tramples on him with a
> viciousness that the depraved horse would be ashamed to exhibit. When
> the novice tries to get on his bicycle, he invariably falls over and
> under it two or three times. If he can once get it started at a fair
> pace, it will ... [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9507E0DB1630EE3ABC4952DFB066838
> B699FDE
>
> (It gets even better after that--click on the pdf link for the whole
> sordid story!)

What a strange shaggy-dog story! Was this meant as a sort of anonymous
humor article?

> Ooh! Ooh!
>
> Gratefully,
>
> Carl Fogel

Well, that's it, we've lost Carl for about 9,599 articles.

But I'm looking forward to seeing what he digs up out of the archive!

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:09:39 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 03:42:06 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> >[more on car-free zones]

>> >Automobiles didn't depend on that system, any more than the bicycles
>> >depended on the "good roads campaign:"
>> >
>> >http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9403E2D91730E033A25752C2A9
>> >6F9C94659ED7CF
>> >
>> >It's pretty cool that the NYT finally opened up their archives, eh?

>> Dear Ryan,
>>
>> Ooh! Ooh!

>> Gee, only 9,599 results, that won't take long . . .
>>
>> Let's look at the first one . . . June 11, 1880 . . .
>>
>> "A bicycle is dangerous, not when it is in motion, but when it is at
>> rest. It is then that it throws its rider and tramples on him with a
>> viciousness that the depraved horse would be ashamed to exhibit. When
>> the novice tries to get on his bicycle, he invariably falls over and
>> under it two or three times. If he can once get it started at a fair
>> pace, it will ... [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]
>>
>> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9507E0DB1630EE3ABC4952DFB066838
>> B699FDE
>>
>> (It gets even better after that--click on the pdf link for the whole
>> sordid story!)

>What a strange shaggy-dog story! Was this meant as a sort of anonymous
>humor article?

Dear Ryan,

No, it's sober 1880's reporting.

http://tinyurl.com/3ypcxl

Crazy--

Er, improbable inventions were common, and newspaper editors could
scarcely be expected to stoop to understanding mechanical details (not
that they do much better nowadays).

So the absurd wind-up spring was plausible to the editor.

But the dangers that he mentions were quite true.

It was 1880, so he was writing about early highwheelers, towering
penny-farthing fixies that tended to throw the rider forward in a
face-plant, legs tangled in the handlebars, whenever the rider hit a
bump, rider tried to brake by fighting the pedals, or got into loose
stuff with a 50-inch wheel mounted on the bottom bracket. They also
just plain fell apart, giant wheels collapsing.

There are numerous patents for breakaway handlebars and other strange
mechanisms intended to avoid the ugly part where you lurch forward,
your thighs hit the handlebars, and you did a swan dive into the
ground. One truly bizarre handlebar curved _behind_ the rider's legs
(imagine the stoker's handlebars curving forward around the captain's
legs, somewhat like greatly extended wheelchair arms). They never
caught on, since they made it almost impossible to mount and dismount.

A more "practical" anti-header handlebar used inverted ape-hanger
handlebars that dropped down below the pedals and rose up again:

http://i22.tinypic.com/jpu7p4

None of the weird inventions worked. Highwheeler riders toppled
forward with painful and even fatal regularity.

Downhills were terrifying. Think fixie with no brake on a steep dirt
road. Think fixie with a seat about 50 inches in the air. Think fixie
that will tip forward and pitch you face-first into the road if you
fight the pedals to brake.

Now think of horses coming around the curve at you in the middle of
all this and rearing up in terror to block the road. Not that you can
corner worth a damn, even without the horses.

Bad as we think no-brake fixies are, highwheelers were much worse.
Imagine a no-brake fixie that throws you over the handlebars if you
try to slow down through the pedals.

Safety bicycles were well-named and wiped out the ordinaries, as
highwheelers were called, in about a decade. The replacement in a few
years of the penny-farthings by the safeties gives perspective to the
perennial hopes of recumbent riders for driving safety bicycles into
the sea.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sep 23, 10:37 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's true but some did not. State Street in Chicago, for example, was
> a debacle.
>
> Also the change in behavior patterns can be extreme, with radical shifts
> in use, viable business types etc.
>
> In our neighborhood we're among the last businesses doing any
> sales/service of hard goods* as the national chains have blossomed to
> sell beer, burgers & tchotchkes to tourists. Not that that isn't viable.
> And the property tax take is up (chains can pay much more). But it sure
> is different with no steel supplier, no more 4 auto parts stores, no big
> industrial supply house, no full hardware store, 2 welding supply houses
> gone, etc. All were within walking distance, now outside the city.
>
> Playing 'monopoly' with a city is not for sissies! There are inherently
> both winners and losers. You are not wrong but the stakes are huge and
> mistakes cost.
> (*without the net we would have to move)

IMO, on a street like State St. in Madison, it's
likely that the businesses would have converted to
chains, apparel stores, and high volume stores
such as food and drink anyway. I haven't been
there since about 1996, but most places that are
similarly situated now have that mix of businesses.
Especially near the gate of a major university with
its population of kids with disposable cash.
Some examples I've been to: Soho in New York (used
to have lots of hard goods stores, sewing machine
shops, etc), Old Town Pasadena, outside the entrances
of the universities at Maryland and Arizona. None
of these are car free. Hell, Rt 1 in College Park
MD is about the most car-ful, bike and ped
unfriendly place I know.

You're there and know the business climate. But IMHO,
this trend is driven by real estate prices, disposable
income, the rise of high volume chain retail, Home Depot
in the burbs, Internet shopping ... more so than
carfreeness. I do agree that this kind of zoning
or development has to be done carefully or one winds
up with deserted plazas populated by empty storefronts
and windblown plastic bags.

Ben

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:09:39 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] wrote:

> >> Dear Ryan,
> >>
> >> Ooh! Ooh!

> >> Gee, only 9,599 results, that won't take long . . .
> >>
> >> Let's look at the first one . . . June 11, 1880 . . .
> >>
> >> "A bicycle is dangerous, not when it is in motion, but when it is at
> >> rest. It is then that it throws its rider and tramples on him with a
> >> viciousness that the depraved horse would be ashamed to exhibit. When
> >> the novice tries to get on his bicycle, he invariably falls over and
> >> under it two or three times. If he can once get it started at a fair
> >> pace, it will ... [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]
> >>
> >> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9507E0DB1630EE3ABC4952DFB066
> >> 838
> >> B699FDE
> >>
> >> (It gets even better after that--click on the pdf link for the whole
> >> sordid story!)

> >What a strange shaggy-dog story! Was this meant as a sort of anonymous
> >humor article?

> Dear Ryan,
>
> No, it's sober 1880's reporting.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3ypcxl
>
> Crazy--
>
> Er, improbable inventions were common, and newspaper editors could
> scarcely be expected to stoop to understanding mechanical details (not
> that they do much better nowadays).

> So the absurd wind-up spring was plausible to the editor.

But that still leaves us with the small matter of the story of the Rev.
Mr. Macpherson's wife, which could never have happened. Perhaps this was
a secret Romish plot to infiltrate the NYT with articles that would
demonstrate the desirability of a celibate priesthood!

(now that I've typed it here, I shudder at how long it will be before
someone takes it seriously).

> But the dangers that he mentions were quite true.
>
> It was 1880, so he was writing about early highwheelers, towering
> penny-farthing fixies that tended to throw the rider forward in a
> face-plant, legs tangled in the handlebars, whenever the rider hit a
> bump, rider tried to brake by fighting the pedals, or got into loose
> stuff with a 50-inch wheel mounted on the bottom bracket. They also
> just plain fell apart, giant wheels collapsing.
>
> There are numerous patents for breakaway handlebars and other strange
> mechanisms intended to avoid the ugly part where you lurch forward,
> your thighs hit the handlebars, and you did a swan dive into the
> ground. One truly bizarre handlebar curved _behind_ the rider's legs
> (imagine the stoker's handlebars curving forward around the captain's
> legs, somewhat like greatly extended wheelchair arms). They never
> caught on, since they made it almost impossible to mount and dismount.
>
> A more "practical" anti-header handlebar used inverted ape-hanger
> handlebars that dropped down below the pedals and rose up again:
>
> http://i22.tinypic.com/jpu7p4
>
> None of the weird inventions worked. Highwheeler riders toppled
> forward with painful and even fatal regularity.
>
> Downhills were terrifying. Think fixie with no brake on a steep dirt
> road. Think fixie with a seat about 50 inches in the air. Think fixie
> that will tip forward and pitch you face-first into the road if you
> fight the pedals to brake.
>
> Now think of horses coming around the curve at you in the middle of
> all this and rearing up in terror to block the road. Not that you can
> corner worth a damn, even without the horses.
>
> Bad as we think no-brake fixies are, highwheelers were much worse.
> Imagine a no-brake fixie that throws you over the handlebars if you
> try to slow down through the pedals.

Well! So much for the romance of the Ordinary. I knew a bit about the
hazards, but I don't think I've realized how dangerous they really were.

> Safety bicycles were well-named and wiped out the ordinaries, as
> highwheelers were called, in about a decade. The replacement in a few
> years of the penny-farthings by the safeties gives perspective to the
> perennial hopes of recumbent riders for driving safety bicycles into
> the sea.

I hadn't contemplated the swiftness of the demise of the Ordinary
before. In contemporary terms, it's like how indexed shifting has
essentially eliminated friction shifting on modern bikes, and that
probably took about a decade, too.

Except the safety bike eliminated the whole bicycle in one fell swoop.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:04:23 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

[snip]

>But that still leaves us with the small matter of the story of the Rev.
>Mr. Macpherson's wife, which could never have happened. Perhaps this was
>a secret Romish plot to infiltrate the NYT with articles that would
>demonstrate the desirability of a celibate priesthood!
>
>(now that I've typed it here, I shudder at how long it will be before
>someone takes it seriously).

[snip]

Dear Ryan,

Good heavens!

You doubt the New York Times when it states in cold print that a
clergyman's wife sprang up onto her velocipede and was immediately and
helplessly propelled by the patented coil-spring incorporated in the
seat for ten miles without any pedaling?

Next you'll be asking whether there really is an Ishkatawhunky near
Milwaukee.

:)

Those unwilling to register with the NYT can read the article here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ko...ts=3by2lcSqUe&sig=OxH9QJvCQ3tJCXq63kAHMs51F1Y

For comparison, here's a similar piece of petrified truth from 1882:

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-mcwilliamses-and-the-burglar-alarm

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Per Chalo:
>According to the data at the following link, 3.6% of
>Dutch men are 6'5" or taller, compared to 0.2% of US men:

Only chair that I've ever really fit in and been comfortable in
was at my brother-in-laws in Germany - and he had bought the
kitchen set it was part of from Holland. The thing must've been
five inches higher and two inches wider than anything similar
I've ever sat in.
--
PeteCresswell