Why Can't Mountain Bikers EVER Tell the Truth?

On Wed, 10 May 2006 01:44:07 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 8 May 2006 18:13:48 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Nope, you and are going to part company here. I do believe in compromise.
>>>We
>>>humans have pretty much wrecked the planet and there is no going back. Our
>>>numbers are too great for that.
>>>
>>>It is very important that we preserve what is left to preserve, but we
>>>cannot really restore that which has been lost. The wild animals, whatever
>>>is left of them, will perish along with their habitat and we humans will
>>>also do ourselves in by our own reckless use of the planet. Unless and
>>>until
>>>we control our numbers, we are as doomed as the wild animals - which is
>>>essentially all that we are anyway.

>> There are whole organizations, conferences, and university departments
>> dedicated to habitat restoration. I accept their opinion before yours.
>> We can't do it as well as Mother Nature, but we don't have to accept
>> thye status quo. If you were in charge, I doubt that the California
>> Condor would be coming back.

>Whatever wildlife is coming back is only temporary. It is all going the way
>of the Dodo Bird and all your efforts will come to naught in the end.

But at least I will feel good for having done the right thing.

>> A book called _National Parks of Northwest Mexico_ made the point that
>> human impacts have TWO components: human NUMBERS, and human BEHAVIOR.
>> We can have an effect in both areas. India is far more populous than
>> the U.S., but Indians individually have 1/7 th of our footprint.

>That is the only thing that has saved otherwise very populous nations from
>total environmental degradation, but that is all changing as they come up
>more and more to Western industrial standards. They will never preserve or
>conserve anything. Africa illustrates this to perfection. Their idea of a
>National Park is that it is a good place to go hunting for large animals.
>Elephants - anyone?
>
>The truth is that the idea of preserving anything of the natural world is an
>elitist idea and is extremely rare. Only a handful of societies have ever
>been able to even grasp the idea, let alone implement it. The "tragedy of
>the commons" is forever being played out everywhere in the world.

You need to get out more. Specifically, you need to attend a meeting
of the Society for Conservation Biology. You will be AMAZED at how
fast it is growing, all over the world.

>>>Yes, we can not really restore that which has been lost. The US now has a
>>>population of about 300 million. When I was a kid the population was 150
>>>million. Demography is destiny. Population 101.

>>>Agreed. Which is why we have to manage what is left. Wilderness is the
>>>most
>>>precious thing of all, but some other areas can be managed so as to
>>>minimize
>>>human impact. But most areas of this country are lost forever to any kind
>>>of
>>>management, other than zoning.

>> I choose not to hold such a pessimistic viewpoint. It's no fun, for
>> one thing.

>I used to have lots of hope when I was young that things would turn out
>better than they have. Only the National Parks and Wilderness Areas have
>ever come up to my expectations - and even those kind of set-asides continue
>to be threatened. It is a losing battle.

No, it's a glass half full.

>>>You are way too much a purist on this issue. The average American does not
>>>give a damn about wildlife and their habitat other than a few hunters and
>>>fisherman who only want to kill them for sport.

>> Even if true, I choose not to believe that. The Dali Lama says we must
>> retain hope. I agree. Not doing so is no fun. Pessimism actually
>> increases the incidence of heart disease and other diseases. A word to
>> the wise....

>I am getting ready to die sooner rather than later anyway. So is everyone
>else too, but they just don't realize it yet like I do.

On that cheery note, ... :)

>> If you would know the future
>>>of humanity on this earth and it's wildlife, you need to go to China or
>>>India. Outside of extremely mountainous areas in those two nations, the
>>>only
>>>wildlife left are humans. Sic transit gloria mundi.

>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 09 May 2006 04:05:20 GMT, Michael Halliwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Sun, 07 May 2006 18:21:21 GMT, Michael Halliwell
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Re-read my post for context....I didn't say you wanted all areas off
>>>limits to humans, but rather that you are after getting all forms of
>>>recreation out of the woods (meaning the creation of "pure habitat")

>> And that's a LIE. I have NEVER advocated that. Once you start lying,
>> you can't get off the train, & keep getting in deeper & deeper. Come
>> clean.

>Then how, dear Dr. Vandeman do you propose to "create pure habitat" as
>your signature so boldly states...

Simple: by humans deciding not to go there, just as I and many others
have done on our own property.

If it is presently pure habitat,
>then you are not creating it but merely preserving it...if you intend to
>create it, then all human activities in that area, including recreation,
>must cease.

Of course. What's your point?

>Michael Halliwell

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Tue, 09 May 2006 06:24:35 GMT, "Sorni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Michael Halliwell wrote:
>
>> Then how, dear Dr. Vandeman do you propose to "create pure habitat" as
>> your signature so boldly states... If it is presently pure habitat,
>> then you are not creating it but merely preserving it...if you intend
>> to create it, then all human activities in that area, including
>> recreation, must cease.

>Psst. Ask him how BIG his proposed "pristine habitat" will be? (Hint:
>It's smaller than the average backyard deck! LOL)
>
>Bill "I live on a protected canyon, so I've got bunches of 'em right out my
>back door" S.
>
>PS: It's TEN FEET BY TEN FEET! (I couldn't keep it in any longer.) (No
>cracks about that expression.)

Which makes it the largest habitat off-limits to humans in the world.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Tue, 09 May 2006 06:24:35 GMT, "Sorni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Psst. Ask him how BIG his proposed "pristine habitat" will be? (Hint:
>>It's smaller than the average backyard deck! LOL)
>>
>>Bill "I live on a protected canyon, so I've got bunches of 'em right out
>>my
>>back door" S.
>>
>>PS: It's TEN FEET BY TEN FEET! (I couldn't keep it in any longer.) (No
>>cracks about that expression.)

> Which makes it the largest habitat off-limits to humans in the world.

ROTFL Stop it, Do(r)c, you're killin' me!

> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:50:59 GMT, "Sorni"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> If you've ever seen "real hikers", they plant, dig in, twist, and
>>> push off a LOT. (Not to mention the ones short-cutting switchbacks,
>>> littering, walking two-abreast, etc.)

>> I've never seen that. That is a good way to get blisters, not a good
>> way to hike. You can tell by looking at the footprints.

> Unless you stick to multi-use /paths/ and not true /trails/, do(r)c, I
> find that VERY hard to believe.
>
> Real hikers are out there for an adventure and workout -- they move, they
> sweat. It's a SPORT to them. They get along fine with other trail users,
> all enjoying the challenge and beauty of nature.

I am not much in favor of "real hikers" either. Like Thoreau, I merely like
to amble about in the wilderness for days on end. I move as slowly as
possible as I do not like to rush through paradise. I prefer not to carry a
heavy pack, but I will do so if I am going to be out for several days. But I
must admit I am really a day hiker. Funny, I have never in my life thought
of hiking as a sport. Gosh, there are some really weird people in this world
if you ask me!

> Then there are nancies who just walk from A to B and back again. They're
> slow. Weak. It's a selfinsh indlugence and they don't CARE about other
> trail users. They avoid difficult terrain and will often attempt to
> "sanitize" it by removing or plowing obstacles.

A really rough trail is something only mountain climbers like. The rest of
us like reasonably smooth trails. As I stroll about in the wilderness I find
that my head is more often in the clouds than on the trail. Big trees will
automatically attract my most earnest attention. I have been known to
occasionally hug a tree. They are my very best friends in all the world. I
talk to the trees as I amble along the trail. I believe I may have mentioned
once or twice before that I would like to come back to this world after my
passing as a Mighty Sequoia Tree.

> We all know in which camp you pitch your puptent, Nancy Do(r)c.

Well, I can't help it if I am just so superior to everyone else. Believe you
me, it is not easy to go though life surrounded by nothing but idiots,
morons and imbeciles.

> Have a nice easy stroll.

It is the ONLY way to go. Try it sometime, you may like it!

"S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>>Fine. Go hiking without seeing the trail.
>>>Same comparison.

>> No, because a hiker can stop and look at nature. Bikers rarely stop,
>> since it doesn't give them the necessary THRILL. For a hiker, stopping
>> and looking is one of the most thrilling parts of the trip.

> It is merely an assumption that off-road cyclists are after a THRILL. Some
> are, some aren't. Some hikers are after an extreme experience by testing
> the survival skills in adverse conditions. It is the SAME thing. And
> again, you split context. Complete text below...

Curtiss should come along with me on one of my desultory hikes. It is an
exercise in meditation only and is full of mostly nothing but pure thought.
I will occasionally stop to hug a tree, as they are my very best friends in
all the world, but I suspect Curtiss would be bored by my kind of excursion.
Nay, like all mountain bikers, he is into nothing but thrills and spills. I
have never been able to figure out why God does not strike such sacrilegious
slobs dead with lightening bolts.

Mountain bikers are entitled to have their fun, but not on my sacred trails.
[...]

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:58:33 GMT, "Sorni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:50:59 GMT, "Sorni"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> If you've ever seen "real hikers", they plant, dig in, twist, and
>>> push off a LOT. (Not to mention the ones short-cutting switchbacks,
>>> littering, walking two-abreast, etc.)

>> I've never seen that. That is a good way to get blisters, not a good
>> way to hike. You can tell by looking at the footprints.

>Unless you stick to multi-use /paths/ and not true /trails/, do(r)c, I find
>that VERY hard to believe.
>
>Real hikers are out there for an adventure and workout -- they move, they
>sweat. It's a SPORT to them. They get along fine with other trail users,
>all enjoying the challenge and beauty of nature.
>
>Then there are nancies who just walk from A to B and back again. They're
>slow. Weak. It's a selfinsh indlugence and they don't CARE about other
>trail users. They avoid difficult terrain and will often attempt to
>"sanitize" it by removing or plowing obstacles.
>
>We all know in which camp you pitch your puptent, Nancy Do(r)c.
>
>Have a nice easy stroll.
>
>Bill S.

I wonder how you would know, since mountain bikers are too lazy to
ever hike?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:22:21 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 8 May 2006 14:04:30 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
>>>
>>>You have yet to show anywhere that off-road cycling destroys habitat.

>> If you ever ride off trail, even accidentally, you have destroyed
>> habitat. If you ever run over a plant, you have destroyed habitat. If
>> your presence ever drives an animal away from resources it wants, you
>> have destroyed habitat. If you have ever built a trail or done tral
>> maintenance, you have destroyed habitat. Believe me, you HAVE
>> destroyed habitat. EVERY mountain biker has. It is impossible NOT to.

>Fine.. just as is the case with any hiker. And to say "EVERY mountain
>biker has" in such a way that implies it is ONLY the mountain bikers

I guess English isn't your first language. "EVERY" doesn't imply
"ONLY" in any language I know, except mountainbikerese.

is
>misleading. Include YOUR activity of hiking as being destructive for the
>exact same reasons or you have no credibility in your statement.
>

>> You
>>>have show a few examples of poor behavior and assigned that to every
>>>off-road cyclist. You have presented selected bits from others' writings
>>>and
>>>attempted to place your conclusions as more valid than those who conducted
>>>the studies you reference. You have attempted to place yourself as an
>>>authority on the subject of off-road cycling without any authoritative
>>>support

>> I AM the authority. Hardly anyone else will tell the truth about
>> mountain biking.
>>

>You can claim to be Queen of England with the same authority. It is NOT
>recognized by anyone of authority or position.
>

>> or reference and then point back upon your own opinions as support
>>>for your... opinions. How stupid is that? You say "mountain biking is
>>>bad"
>>>and than point at your own website with your own opinions to support
>>>yourself saying "mountain biking is bad".

>> We all know it is. Even mountain bikers admit it on rare occasions.

>Nobody is saying off-road cycling has an impact or that it is bad, good or
>otherwise. What we are saying is, hiking and off-road cycling are more
>similar in their impacts.

Oh, sure. Hikers create linear V-shaped ruts, long skid marks, ans
frequently squash animals and plants. BS. Try telling the truth for a
change.

Cycling is not more negative merely because you
>say it is or claim it to be.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:31:46 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 8 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
>>>
>>>A few morons who act irresponsibly offers no grounds to indict every
>>>individual who has ever ridden down a trail. It is Vandeman's implication
>>>that the actions of 5 individuals condemn the larger majority of
>>>individuals. I only point out the hypocrisy in his statements. He does not
>>>get to condemn me on someone else's action. He does not get to state
>>>off-road cycling be banned by claiming all cyclists widen trails, trample
>>>vegetation, and kill animals but skip over the same actions of the group
>>>he
>>>claims to be a member of.

>> BS. Hikers occasionally step on a plant or animal, but there's no way
>> they can do it as much as a mountain biker. I have seen mountain
>> biking trips advertised of 112 miles in a day. There's no way a hiker
>> can walk that far in a day and kill that many animals and plants.

>If the cyclists stay on the trail, there are no plants to run over.

Idiot. Plants constantly try to grow in and over the trail, and get
squashed & killed. Animals frequently cross or travel on trails, and
get squashed. Insects are animals, of course. Refuting yoiur BS is
child's play.

It is
>highly unlikely they will kill any animals. You talk of distance like it is
>some kind of Rosetta Stone to your statements. However, if the presence of
>humans is always harmful, and a cyclist can travel (to use your numbers) 112
>miles in a day and a hiker can only travel (lets say) 20 miles in a day,
>then it can also be stated that the hiker is causing more harm as the
>cyclist comes and goes past any given wildlife while the hiker remains to do
>harm. Distance and time are interchangeable. However, apply them both as
>seperate variables and the hiker potentially does even more damage as the
>cyclist is often in and out while the hiker remains.
>It is your supposition that cycling "kills" more than hiking. You have yet
>to prove it beyond a statement of your opinion.

That's because it's OBVIOUS to everyone but mountain bikers.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:34:26 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>>You bring in 6,7,8 year old story about 5 people riding illegaly (and
>>>stupidly) in the Grand Canyon and expect anyone to believe you proven
>>>anything about my statement...? Let's review:
>>>"No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
>>>recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest lands
>>>that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you
>>>wish.
>>>Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>>>transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to
>>>portray
>>>misinformation as truth."
>>>
>>>Do you deny there are currently Wilderness areas that are off limits to
>>>bicycles? Do you deny there are areas of National Forest that are off
>>>limits
>>>to bicycles? Do you deny the Bureau of Land Management Wilderness Acreage
>>>average of 5,240,000 acres. (1998 numbers. But you often quote studies as
>>>old or older...) And Wilderness designations do not allow bikes, do
>>>they...?
>>>
>>>So... By stating you point out a "lie" when there is not one... is a
>>>LIE.
>>>Is it not, Michael J. Vandeman, PhD?

>> Just to refresh your memory, here is your lie again (see above),
>> misspellings and all: "Your attempt to state that cyclists are
>> invading your every space is transparaent because it is not
>> happening."
>>
>> Au contraire, Stevie, it IS happening, and continues to happen.

>So, you maintain I am lying merely because I challenge your assumptions?

No, you are lying because you are afraid to tell the truth.

>Please... Please... Please show me in my statement (and shall I find
>examples of poor spelling on your part?)
>
>"Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>transparaent because it is not happening" which part is a lie.

" that cyclists are invading your every space" is a lie, because I
never said that. You FABRICATED it. You can run, but you can't hide.

Here is the
>exchange where it first appeared and you stating "But it is true"
>
>SC: "Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to portray
>misinformation as truth."
>
>MV: "But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
>were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time to
>bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the Sedona Five)!
>If you would be more concerned about telling the truth, you MIGHT get some
>respect. Otherwise, NOT."
>
>You post an example of 5 people in a restricted area as proof that mountain
>bikers are in every space when you KNOW people, much less "mountain bikers"
>are not in EVERY space. Then you call me a liar for pointing out your
>outrageous and unfounded claims. You also completely disregard a DIRECT
>inquiry to explain your statement in view of ACTUAL information I posted:
>
>"Do you deny there are currently Wilderness areas that are off limits to
>bicycles? Do you deny there are areas of National Forest that are off limits
>to bicycles? Do you deny the Bureau of Land Management Wilderness Acreage
>average of 5,240,000 acres. (1998 numbers. But you often quote studies as
>old or older...) And Wilderness designations do not allow bikes, do
>they...?"
>
>So, again... You trying to turn your obvious false and generalized
>statement around by attempting to discredit my statement is nothing but a
>trick of words. It is blatantly obvious, by stating you point out a "lie"
>when there is not one... is a LIE.
>Is it not, Michael J. Vandeman, PhD?
>
>If you can prove that bicyclists are riding in every area encompassing the
>5,240,000 Wilderness acres, then you can state that I am lying. Off-road
>cyclists simply are NOT invading every space.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:45:44 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>>When your foot slips and your heel digs into the trail, it can't possibly
>>>be
>>>good for nature.

>> I never said it is. But you claim that mountain biking is harmless.

>Wrong again. I claim mountain biking and hiking are similar in impact.

That's a lie. You can't prove it.

If
>you are going to stand up and say "ban all bicycles (mountain biking)" then
>you also have to say say "ban all hiking". If you insist some outdoor areas
>are suitable for hiking (human entrance) then you also have to maintain some
>outdoor areas would be suitable for off-road cycling.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:51:16 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>>Fine. Go hiking without seeing the trail.
>>>Same comparison.

>> No, because a hiker can stop and look at nature. Bikers rarely stop,
>> since it doesn't give them the necessary THRILL. For a hiker, stopping
>> and looking is one of the most thrilling parts of the trip.

>It is merely an assumption that off-road cyclists are after a THRILL. Some
>are, some aren't. Some hikers are after an extreme experience by testing the
>survival skills in adverse conditions. It is the SAME thing. And again, you
>split context. Complete text below...

It doesn't matter. It's still impossible to experience nature while on
a bike.

>> Try walking without paying attention the trail. Is that a
>>>root? Or a rock? Is the trail going left or right? How steep is it?
>>>Your statements are misleading. You also have to give attention to the
>>>surface you walk on or you will trip, fall into a hole, walk off the trail
>>>and into a tree or step on a snake, a bird nest or whatever.
>>>Riding a bike is similar in that I can look around, glance ahead, adjust
>>>my
>>>course and continue to observe the surroundings. Just like hiking, I can
>>>also stop and observe more closely.

>> But you don't. Look at any mountain biking video. They go for long
>> periods without stopping (except when they crash), when they aren't
>> admiting nature.

>A mountain bike video by nature of marketing and sales is going to show the
>extreme, the dangerous and as much non-stop action as possible.

Who said anyhting about commercial videos? I didn't. You FABRICATED
that, as usual.

There
>probably are some instructional videos that fall outside your
>classification, however, I do not know as I do not seek out mountain bike
>videos.
>>
>> Your insistence it is impossible when it
>>>is done every day by thousands of cyclists is.... ridiculous.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 11 May 2006 00:54:26 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> No, because a hiker can stop and look at nature. Bikers rarely stop,
>>> since it doesn't give them the necessary THRILL. For a hiker, stopping
>>> and looking is one of the most thrilling parts of the trip.

>> It is merely an assumption that off-road cyclists are after a THRILL. Some
>> are, some aren't. Some hikers are after an extreme experience by testing
>> the survival skills in adverse conditions. It is the SAME thing. And
>> again, you split context. Complete text below...

>Curtiss should come along with me on one of my desultory hikes. It is an
>exercise in meditation only and is full of mostly nothing but pure thought.
>I will occasionally stop to hug a tree, as they are my very best friends in
>all the world, but I suspect Curtiss would be bored by my kind of excursion.
>Nay, like all mountain bikers, he is into nothing but thrills and spills. I
>have never been able to figure out why God does not strike such sacrilegious
>slobs dead with lightening bolts.

Probably to conserve precious resources for better uses, especially
since mountain bikers are ensuring their own extinction by making
themselves impotent. :)

>Mountain bikers are entitled to have their fun, but not on my sacred trails.
>[...]
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:56:14 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>>Hike in "no bicycle" and limited recreation areas.

>> I do. But mountain bikers go there anyway -- illegally.

>Then you will have to call the ranger and report it. The lack of enforcement
>is a seperate issue.

Which is why mountain biking should be banned. It's too expensive to
enforce.

>>>Actually, if you read the information, IMBA does indeed want to open some
>>>areas, but also agrees with the "wilderness" designation where suitable
>>>and
>>>wants consistency of definition to determine access or lack of it from any
>>>given area.

>> ALL wilderness is appropriate, but IMBA doesn't think so. They think
>> all ridable trails should be open to them.

>Just as you say all trails should be closed to them. Two extremes clashing
>while reality exists in the middle.

I have NEVER said that, LIAR. I have said that trails should be closed
to BIKES. I know, that's over your head, because it contains words of
more than one syl-la-ble.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>>> If you ever ride off trail, even accidentally, you have destroyed
>>> habitat. If you ever run over a plant, you have destroyed habitat. If
>>> your presence ever drives an animal away from resources it wants, you
>>> have destroyed habitat. If you have ever built a trail or done tral
>>> maintenance, you have destroyed habitat. Believe me, you HAVE
>>> destroyed habitat. . It is impossible NOT to.

>>Fine.. just as is the case with any hiker. And to say "EVERY mountain
>>biker has" in such a way that implies it is ONLY the mountain bikers

> I guess English isn't your first language. "EVERY" doesn't imply
> "ONLY" in any language I know, except mountainbikerese.

Then also state that EVERY hiker has done exactly what you say EVERY
mountain biker has. It is your omission of responsibility of any other group
that creates the context of your implications. However, since you are more
concerned with semantics than content, it is fortunate for you the english
language lends itself to word games or you could not carry on a conversation
with a turnip.

> is
>>misleading. Include YOUR activity of hiking as being destructive for the
>>exact same reasons or you have no credibility in your statement.
>>

>>> You
>>>
>>> I AM the authority. Hardly anyone else will tell the truth about
>>> mountain biking.
>>>

>>You can claim to be Queen of England with the same authority. It is NOT
>>recognized by anyone of authority or position.
>>

>>> or reference and then point back upon your own opinions as support
>>>
>>> We all know it is. Even mountain bikers admit it on rare occasions.

>>Nobody is saying off-road cycling has an impact or that it is bad, good or
>>otherwise. What we are saying is, hiking and off-road cycling are more
>>similar in their impacts.

> Oh, sure. Hikers create linear V-shaped ruts, long skid marks, ans
> frequently squash animals and plants. BS. Try telling the truth for a
> change.

Hiker do squash plants. You can not deny that. Your assumption that cyclists
kill 1 or 1 thousand animals or that it is any more than hikers is also
anecdotal and opinion and you have no statistics to show it.
V shaped ruts...? Possibly. But can also be cause by hikers walking the same
line over time. Tell me, what caused ruts and erosion on trails before
mountain bikes came along?
Skid marks...? Possibly. Hikers can also slide down a path.
Does off-road cycling cause a different pattern of impact? Sometimes. Is it
overall more detrimental than hiking. No. Can it be? Of course. Just like
any other activity. Hiking included. The studies you post and references you
make all show this. You attempt to place an inordinate weight of
responsibility on the activities of cyclists while disregarding the similar
and measureable activities and results of other activities.

> Cycling is not more negative merely because you
>>say it is or claim it to be.

> On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:31:46 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>> BS. Hikers occasionally step on a plant or animal, but there's no way
>>> they can do it as much as a mountain biker. I have seen mountain
>>> biking trips advertised of 112 miles in a day. There's no way a hiker
>>> can walk that far in a day and kill that many animals and plants.

>>If the cyclists stay on the trail, there are no plants to run over.

> Idiot. Plants constantly try to grow in and over the trail, and get
> squashed & killed. Animals frequently cross or travel on trails, and
> get squashed. Insects are animals, of course. Refuting yoiur BS is
> child's play.

Just above, you state "BS. Hikers occasionally step on a plant or animal"
then quantify the statement with your opinion. You have yet to show that
cycling kills anything more than any other group.

> It is
>>highly unlikely they will kill any animals. You talk of distance like it
>>is
>>some kind of Rosetta Stone to your statements. However, if the presence of
>>humans is always harmful, and a cyclist can travel (to use your numbers)
>>112
>>miles in a day and a hiker can only travel (lets say) 20 miles in a day,
>>then it can also be stated that the hiker is causing more harm as the
>>cyclist comes and goes past any given wildlife while the hiker remains to
>>do
>>harm. Distance and time are interchangeable. However, apply them both as
>>seperate variables and the hiker potentially does even more damage as the
>>cyclist is often in and out while the hiker remains.
>>It is your supposition that cycling "kills" more than hiking. You have yet
>>to prove it beyond a statement of your opinion.

> That's because it's OBVIOUS to everyone but mountain bikers.

Simply saying it is OBVIOUS means nothing. You saying it means even less.
> ===

> On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:34:26 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> Just to refresh your memory, here is your lie again (see above),
>>> misspellings and all: "Your attempt to state that cyclists are
>>> invading your every space is transparaent because it is not
>>> happening."
>>>
>>> Au contraire, Stevie, it IS happening, and continues to happen.

>>So, you maintain I am lying merely because I challenge your assumptions?

> No, you are lying because you are afraid to tell the truth.

I am stating my opinions based on available information. I am challenging
your statements and claims they are FACT. I am not lying by merely
challenging your statements.

>>Please... Please... Please show me in my statement (and shall I find
>>examples of poor spelling on your part?)
>>
>>"Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>>transparaent because it is not happening" which part is a lie.

> " that cyclists are invading your every space" is a lie, because I
> never said that. You FABRICATED it. You can run, but you can't hide.

You may not have used those words, in that exact order, that I can locate
quickly. However, repeatedly you have posted the title "Why Off-Road
Bicycling Should be Prohibited " with the opening line "Human beings think
they own every square inch of the Earth...". Your context is easily
determined. Beyond the phrasing, you clearly agree with the statement as it
was written because you AGREED WITH IT. You, Michael J. Vandeman, responded
with "But it IS true" and "Au contraire, Stevie, it IS happening, and
continues to happen".
So you agree that cyclists are not invading every space. If so, then the
statement "it IS happening, and continues to happen" is a lie. If you claim
that cyclists are invading every space, then you are still the liar because
we both know they are not.

> Here is the
>>exchange where it first appeared and you stating "But it is true"
>>
>>SC: "Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>>transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to
>>portray
>>misinformation as truth."
>>
>>MV: "But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
>>were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time to
>>bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the Sedona
>>Five)!
>>If you would be more concerned about telling the truth, you MIGHT get some
>>respect. Otherwise, NOT."
>>
>>You post an example of 5 people in a restricted area as proof that
>>mountain
>>bikers are in every space when you KNOW people, much less "mountain
>>bikers"
>>are not in EVERY space. Then you call me a liar for pointing out your
>>outrageous and unfounded claims. You also completely disregard a DIRECT
>>inquiry to explain your statement in view of ACTUAL information I posted:
>>
>>"Do you deny there are currently Wilderness areas that are off limits to
>>bicycles? Do you deny there are areas of National Forest that are off
>>limits
>>to bicycles? Do you deny the Bureau of Land Management Wilderness Acreage
>>average of 5,240,000 acres. (1998 numbers. But you often quote studies as
>>old or older...) And Wilderness designations do not allow bikes, do
>>they...?"
>>
>>So, again... You trying to turn your obvious false and generalized
>>statement around by attempting to discredit my statement is nothing but a
>>trick of words. It is blatantly obvious, by stating you point out a "lie"
>>when there is not one... is a LIE.
>>Is it not, Michael J. Vandeman, PhD?
>>
>>If you can prove that bicyclists are riding in every area encompassing the
>>5,240,000 Wilderness acres, then you can state that I am lying. Off-road
>>cyclists simply are NOT invading every space.

> On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:45:44 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> I never said it is. But you claim that mountain biking is harmless.

>>Wrong again. I claim mountain biking and hiking are similar in impact.

> That's a lie. You can't prove it.

A real quick reference search (-vandeman and -imba) came up with:
Impacts of Experimentally Applied Mountain Biking and Hiking on Vegetation
and Soil of a Deciduous Forest
EDEN THURSTON
RICHARD J. READER
Department of Botany
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1, Canada

ABSTRACT
Many recent trail degradation problems have been attributed to mountain
biking because of its alleged ca-pacity to do more damage than other
activities, particularly hiking. This study compared the effects of
experimentally ap-plied mountain biking and hiking on the understory
vegetation and soil of a deciduous forest. Five different intensities of
bik-ing and hiking (i.e., 0, 25, 75, 200 and 500 passes) were ap-plied to
4-m-long 3 1-m-wide lanes in Boyne Valley Provin-cial Park, Ontario, Canada.
Measurements of plant stem density, species richness, and soil exposure were
made before treatment, two weeks after treatment, and again one year after
treatment. Biking and hiking generally had similar effects on vegetation and
soil. Two weeks after treatment, stem density and species richness were
reduced by up to 100% of pretreatment values. In addition, the amount of
soil exposed increased by up to 54%. One year later, these treatment effects
were no longer detectable. These results indicate that at a similar
intensity of activity, the short-term impacts of mountain biking and hiking
may not differ greatly in the undisturbed area of a deciduous forest
habitat. The immediate impacts of both activities can be severe but rapid
recovery should be expected when the activities are not allowed to continue.
Implications of these results for trail recreation are discussed.

I can prove it as much as you can claim to prove otherwise. Your OPINION of
off-road cycling does not lend any more weight or authority to any claim you
make concerning the effects of cycling over hiking.

> If
>>you are going to stand up and say "ban all bicycles (mountain biking)"
>>then
>>you also have to say say "ban all hiking". If you insist some outdoor
>>areas
>>are suitable for hiking (human entrance) then you also have to maintain
>>some
>>outdoor areas would be suitable for off-road cycling.

> On Thu, 11 May 2006 00:54:26 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>Curtiss should come along with me on one of my desultory hikes. It is an
>>exercise in meditation only and is full of mostly nothing but pure
>>thought.
>>I will occasionally stop to hug a tree, as they are my very best friends
>>in
>>all the world, but I suspect Curtiss would be bored by my kind of
>>excursion.
>>Nay, like all mountain bikers, he is into nothing but thrills and spills.
>>have never been able to figure out why God does not strike such
>>sacrilegious
>>slobs dead with lightening bolts.

> Probably to conserve precious resources for better uses, especially
> since mountain bikers are ensuring their own extinction by making
> themselves impotent. :)

The fact we would have something to lose in the first place if that were
even close to being true probably burns you even further.... :)

news:eek:[email protected]...

>>> No, because a hiker can stop and look at nature. Bikers rarely stop,
>>> since it doesn't give them the necessary THRILL. For a hiker, stopping
>>> and looking is one of the most thrilling parts of the trip.

>>It is merely an assumption that off-road cyclists are after a THRILL. Some
>>are, some aren't. Some hikers are after an extreme experience by testing
>>the
>>survival skills in adverse conditions. It is the SAME thing. And again,
>>you
>>split context. Complete text below...

> It doesn't matter. It's still impossible to experience nature while on
> a bike.

Nothing but an OPINION....
So now it doesn't matter...? Why is that? Because you can not realisticly
defend the statement in the first place and have to fall back on the OPINION
that also doesn't matter?.

>>> Try walking without paying attention the trail. Is that a
>>>
>>> But you don't. Look at any mountain biking video. They go for long
>>> periods without stopping (except when they crash), when they aren't
>>> admiting nature.

>>A mountain bike video by nature of marketing and sales is going to show
>>the
>>extreme, the dangerous and as much non-stop action as possible.

> Who said anyhting about commercial videos? I didn't. You FABRICATED
> that, as usual.

Wow... lets play the word-game again. Fine... give me an example of a
"mountain bike video"...