General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Why do meat-eaters growl so much?

Started by George Cherry · · Last activity · 8 posts · 359 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 August 2005
Last activity
2 September 2005
Original author
George Cherry
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
359
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Perhaps their diets do not provide the minerals
    and vitamins conducive to equanimity?

    1: J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2002 Fall;12(3):205-19. Related
    Articles, Links

    Treatment of mood lability and explosive rage with minerals and vitamins:
    two case studies in children.

    Kaplan BJ, Crawford SG, Gardner B, Farrelly G.

    Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
    [email hidden]

    A micronutrient supplement containing a broad range of dietary minerals and
    vitamins is being examined for the treatment of mood lability in both adults
    and children (Kaplan et al. 2001; Popper 2001). During pilot work, two
    medication-free boys with mood lability and explosive rage were studied in
    an open-label treatment followed by reversal and retreatment. One child was
    an 8-year-old with atypical obsessive-compulsive disorder, and the other was
    a 12-year-old with pervasive developmental delay. Both boys were monitored
    using the mood and temper items from the Conners Parent Rating Scale, as
    well as the Child Behavior Checklist. In addition, the boy with atypical
    obsessive-compulsive disorder was monitored with the child version of the
    Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale. Both boys benefited from the
    micronutrient supplement when examined in ABAB designs: mood, angry
    outbursts, and obsessional symptoms improved when initially treated,
    returned when not taking the supplement, and remitted when the micronutrient
    supplement was reintroduced. Both boys have been followed and are stable on
    the nutritional supplement for over 2 years. These cases suggest that mood
    lability and explosive rage can, in some cases, be managed with a mixture of
    biologically active minerals and vitamins, without using lithium or other
    traditional psychopharmacologic agents.

    Publication Types:
    a.. Case Reports

    PMID: 12427294 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

  2. x-no-archive: yes

    George Cherry said:

    Perhaps their diets do not provide the minerals
    and vitamins conducive to equanimity?

    That's just plain dumb.

    As a low carbing meat eater, I eat far more veggies than I did as a
    vegetarian.

    I replaced the pasta, rice, beans in my diet with boatloads of low carb,
    high fiber veggies and small amounts of fruit.

    And I don't need supplements to avoid deficiencies of B12.

    Susan

  3. On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:29:15 -0400, Susan <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    George Cherry said:

    Perhaps their diets do not provide the minerals
    and vitamins conducive to equanimity?

    That's just plain dumb.

    Yes it is. People ignorant of low-carb and paleo-type diets wouldn't
    understand.

    Quoted message said:


    As a low carbing meat eater, I eat far more veggies than I did as a
    vegetarian.

    Likewise for me Susan. I eat more veggies than most folks I know and
    my local grower loves me for it!

    Quoted message said:

    I replaced the pasta, rice, beans in my diet with boatloads of low carb,
    high fiber veggies and small amounts of fruit.

    And I don't need supplements to avoid deficiencies of B12.

    One serving of liver each month and any concerns over B-12 go away.
    ;o)

    RBR

  4. "RBR" unscientifically opined:

    Quoted message said:

    One serving of liver each month and any concerns over B-12 go away.

    Nope, there are still concerns:

    1. Up to 30% of people ages 50 and over suffer form
    atrophic gastritis, a thinning of the stomach lining.
    This condition reduces the acid secretions that
    free B-12 from animal protein, so much less is
    absorbed by the small intestine. In addiction, lack
    of stomach juices may also allow the overgrowth
    of bacteria in the small intestine. The bacteria grab
    B-12 for their own purposes, leaving less for the
    intestine to absorb.

    2. Some people's stomachs don't make enough
    intrinsic factor; consequently they can't absorb
    enough B-12.

    3. Crohn's disease might cause a B-12 shortage
    because it interferes with the functioning of the
    small intestine.

    So, I repeat: whether you are a meat-eater, a vegetarian,
    or a vegan, it's a good Scientific Medical Nutritional
    policy to take a B-12 supplement, since the supplement
    is very inexpensive, and even very large doses of the
    vitamin don't seem to pose any danger.

    George

  5. x-no-archive: yes

    RBR said:

    One serving of liver each month and any concerns over B-12 go away.
    ;o)

    I don't eat liver; my husband hates it. OTOH, I also think it better to
    have a steady supply of nutrients, so I supplement.

    I used to inject B12 when extremely fatigued by illness, and found a
    threshold effect at about 2ccs for improved energy.

    Susan

  6. "Susan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    x-no-archive: yes

    RBR said:

    One serving of liver each month and any concerns over B-12 go away.
    ;o)

    I don't eat liver; my husband hates it. OTOH, I also think it better to
    have a steady supply of nutrients, so I supplement.

    A good, inexpensive, and optimizing idea.

    Quoted message said:

    I used to inject B12 when extremely fatigued by illness, and found a
    threshold effect at about 2ccs for improved energy.

    People with Crohn's disease and other malabsorption
    problems may need B-12 injections depending on the
    severity of their condition. Gastric bypass patients may
    need them, also.

    George

  7. x-no-archive: yes

    George Cherry said:

    People with Crohn's disease and other malabsorption
    problems may need B-12 injections depending on the
    severity of their condition. Gastric bypass patients may
    need them, also.

    I believe I saw an abstract recently demonstrating that a particular
    form of sublingual b12 may have been efficiently absorbed, but I can't
    remember where.

    Susan

  8. George Cherry the wannabe vegan said:

    Nope, there are still concerns:

    1. Up to 30% of people ages 50 and over suffer form
    atrophic gastritis, a thinning of the stomach lining.
    This condition reduces the acid secretions that
    free B-12 from animal protein, so much less is
    absorbed by the small intestine. In addiction, lack
    of stomach juices may also allow the overgrowth
    of bacteria in the small intestine. The bacteria grab
    B-12 for their own purposes, leaving less for the
    intestine to absorb.

    2. Some people's stomachs don't make enough
    intrinsic factor; consequently they can't absorb
    enough B-12.

    3. Crohn's disease might cause a B-12 shortage
    because it interferes with the functioning of the
    small intestine.

    So, I repeat: whether you are a meat-eater, a vegetarian,
    or a vegan, it's a good Scientific Medical Nutritional
    policy to take a B-12 supplement, since the supplement
    is very inexpensive, and even very large doses of the
    vitamin don't seem to pose any danger.

    Unless I have a known deficiency I do not need to supplement. Last
    year's blood work showed my B-12 to be excellent. I have no problem
    with supplementation, especially if you're a vegan (or wannabe vegan).

    RBR

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.