General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Why does garlic sometimes turn neon-green when cooked?

Started by Charles Self · · Last activity · 14 posts · 221 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 November 2007
Last activity
22 November 2007
Original author
Charles Self
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
221
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?
    E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    juice and fresh chilis last night.
    Thanks.

  2. Quoted message said:

    It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?
    E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    juice and fresh chilis last night.
    Thanks.


    Reaction in an aluminum pan?

  3. Charles Self said:


    It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?
    E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    juice and fresh chilis last night.
    Thanks.

    The acid probably. Have had the same happen when adding fresh garlic to
    a vinegar-based pickle brine.

  4. Arri London said:
    Charles Self said:


    It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?
    E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    juice and fresh chilis last night.
    Thanks.

    The acid probably. Have had the same happen when adding fresh garlic
    to a vinegar-based pickle brine.

    Oh, we've had that happen too, when we've pickled it! I thought it wasn't
    fit to eat, but it hasn't killed my husband, yet.

    kili

  5. Abe said:

    Reaction in an aluminum pan?

    Nope, no aluminium nor copper involved, I've used a stainless steel
    pot.
    I have just spent the past 2 hours, a bulb of garlic and copious
    amounts of lemon juice, salt and chilis trying to solve this mystery.
    The solution is that this reaction occurs in the combination of garlic
    with strong heat (several seconds of boiling, simmering didn't
    suffice) and acid (lemon juice or vinegar).
    Copper can apparently cause a similar reaction.
    QED

  6. "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Arri London said:
    Charles Self said:


    It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?
    E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    juice and fresh chilis last night.
    Thanks.

    The acid probably. Have had the same happen when adding fresh garlic
    to a vinegar-based pickle brine.

    Oh, we've had that happen too, when we've pickled it! I thought it wasn't
    fit to eat, but it hasn't killed my husband, yet.

    kili

    Mine usualy turn blue when pickled :-) I googled it the first time it
    happaned and apparently it is fine.

  7. "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Arri London said:
    Charles Self said:


    It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?
    E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    juice and fresh chilis last night.
    Thanks.

    The acid probably. Have had the same happen when adding fresh garlic
    to a vinegar-based pickle brine.

    Oh, we've had that happen too, when we've pickled it! I thought it wasn't
    fit to eat, but it hasn't killed my husband, yet.

    kili

    Mine usualy turn blue when pickled :-) I googled it the first time it
    happaned and apparently it is fine.

  8. Peter said:

    "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Arri London said:

    Charles Self wrote:
    >
    > It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    > colour?
    > E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    > juice and fresh chilis last night.
    > Thanks.

    The acid probably. Have had the same happen when adding fresh garlic
    to a vinegar-based pickle brine.

    Oh, we've had that happen too, when we've pickled it! I thought it
    wasn't fit to eat, but it hasn't killed my husband, yet.

    kili

    Mine usualy turn blue when pickled :-) I googled it the first time
    it happaned and apparently it is fine.

    Yeah, it's almost like a sea-green, blue-ish color. Weird, isn't it?

    kili

  9. Peter said:

    "kilikini" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Arri London said:

    Charles Self wrote:
    >
    > It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    > colour?
    > E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    > juice and fresh chilis last night.
    > Thanks.

    The acid probably. Have had the same happen when adding fresh garlic
    to a vinegar-based pickle brine.

    Oh, we've had that happen too, when we've pickled it! I thought it
    wasn't fit to eat, but it hasn't killed my husband, yet.

    kili

    Mine usualy turn blue when pickled :-) I googled it the first time
    it happaned and apparently it is fine.

    Yeah, it's almost like a sea-green, blue-ish color. Weird, isn't it?

    kili

  10. kilikini said:

    Yeah, it's almost like a sea-green, blue-ish color. Weird, isn't it?

    That seems to be a somewhat different reaction though.
    In my case, heating garlic and an acid, the case is a neon-green
    colour (cyan), but decidedly not blue.
    Something else seems to be going on when pickling that causes a blue
    hue (I've heard several other people describe how pickling causes a
    blue colour).
    So, what else are you putting into the brine? And how long does it
    take for the colour change to occur (hours, days, weeks)? Thanks.

  11. Charles Self said:
    kilikini said:

    Yeah, it's almost like a sea-green, blue-ish color. Weird, isn't it?

    That seems to be a somewhat different reaction though.
    In my case, heating garlic and an acid, the case is a neon-green
    colour (cyan), but decidedly not blue.
    Something else seems to be going on when pickling that causes a blue
    hue (I've heard several other people describe how pickling causes a
    blue colour).
    So, what else are you putting into the brine? And how long does it
    take for the colour change to occur (hours, days, weeks)? Thanks.

    (I'm blushing with honesty, here.....) We use up old pickle juice to
    pickle the garlic. Why not, right? What else are you going to do with the
    juice? Anyway, it takes only about 2 weeks to color the garlic, I'd say.
    It turns out really odd and funky looking! Like something from a Star Wars
    bar. :~)

    kili

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, kilikini1
    @NOSPAMhotmail.com says...

    Quoted message said:
    Arri London said:
    Charles Self said:


    It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?
    E. g. it happened last night when I fixed aglio e olio with lemon
    juice and fresh chilis last night.
    Thanks.

    The acid probably. Have had the same happen when adding fresh garlic
    to a vinegar-based pickle brine.

    Oh, we've had that happen too, when we've pickled it! I thought it wasn't
    fit to eat, but it hasn't killed my husband, yet.

    kili

    Oh pickling! I have two medium sized plant pots in the kitchen with soil
    in them. Whenever I cut something up with seeds I toss them in the pots.
    The pots have transparent plastic across the tops and every few days I
    spray in some water. They seem to like it.

    Then once a week they get a dose of fertilizer.

    So far I have:

    Several bell pepper plants, I'll have to cull them to get the best of
    best.

    A few tomato plants

    A small grape vine.

    I'm glad I have a fantastic southern exposure, so these babies will grow
    all winter.

    Thank you grandpa P for the green thumb!

  13. Charles Self said:

    It tastes normal but looks abnormal. What causes this change of
    colour?

    See
    <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/f1dabc3d700da22c>.

    Victor

  14. I have tried to store garlic in my refrig after vacumn packing it in a 1/2
    pint Mason jar. In less than a week it off gases so much the vacumn is
    broke and the jar becomes pressurized.
    I guess the cool, dark, dry place is still the best.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.