Why the French REALLY Hate Lance

Autre chose: je crois qu'Armstrong est un personnage un peu trop froid
pour le tempérament latin ou même simplement Européen. Après avoir
gagné le TdF, un courreur Français mettrait un point d'honneur à
gagner le tour des bistrots, un Espagnols ne se coucherait pas pendant
trois jours, un Allemand boirait plusieurs litres de bière, un Italien
(souvenez vous d'Alberto tomba dans un autre sport) passerait la
soirée avec 5 ou 6 gonzesses. Même un Anglais, pourtant réputé pour
son flegme, se prendrait une bonne murge.

Or Armstrong, c'est quelques interview et puis c'est tout: on a
l'impression qu'il a juste bien fait son travail.

eomer wrote:

> Autre chose: je crois qu'Armstrong est un personnage un peu trop froid
> pour le tempérament latin ou même simplement Européen. Après avoir
> gagné le TdF, un courreur Français mettrait un point d'honneur à
> gagner le tour des bistrots, un Espagnols ne se coucherait pas pendant
> trois jours, un Allemand boirait plusieurs litres de bière, un Italien
> (souvenez vous d'Alberto tomba dans un autre sport) passerait la
> soirée avec 5 ou 6 gonzesses. Même un Anglais, pourtant réputé pour
> son flegme, se prendrait une bonne murge.
>
> Or Armstrong, c'est quelques interview et puis c'est tout: on a
> l'impression qu'il a juste bien fait son travail.

I don't remember how Indurain was received by the French, speaking of cold.
I think they make something for that phegm, BTW.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

J Jones wrote:
> I'll
> never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it wasn't
> for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII, who knows how the
> world may have turned out.

The Russians got to Berlin first.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
>J Jones wrote:
>> I'll never understand why the French dislike America in general - if it
>> wasn't for the US liberating them and defeating Germany in WWII, who
>> knows how the world may have turned out.
>>

> The Russians got to Berlin first.

To say that we "hate-you" is not true.
There is no "American Bashing" in France.

We have "strong restrictions" with the way you act.

The French don't hate you, they are disapointed. For example we helped you
and if you are a free country today it is thanks to us.
and you have forgotten it. Very sad.

It also never came in our mind to cowardly insult you the way you did with
us.
"Disapointed" seems to be the correct.

Now, why others countries hate you, I don't know, but some reason they have.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> J Jones wrote:
> >>

> > Yes, that was before he became completely obsessed with crushing any and all
> > TdF comers - after which, he showed little/no emotion, no remorse, just
> > absolute focus on utter destruction of his rivals. That's a fairly
> > "American way" (thank God), and one that doesn't resonate well with the
> > French. But, look at his popularity in the US - he's a megastar because
> > he's a winner. In France, he's hated because he's a winner.
> > Jeff
> >

> What a strange way to view the world!
> In fact, my understanding is that some disdained Anquetil because he
> would calibrate his effort just enough to win, as opposed to Poulidor
> who would routinely split his guts in vain.
> Nor do I recall a particular hatred of the French for Merckx, who
> certainly could have had that same focus as Lance--and then some.

Well, the French may not have had a particular hatred for Eddy Merckx,
but apparently, there was abundant dislike for him, stemming from the
taproot of Jingoism. At least one Frenchman was appalled enough at the
prospect of the "Disdained" Anquetil's record of 5 tour victories being
superceded, that he opted to take matters into his own hands. This is
one of the most notorious events in TdF history, yet you just brush it
aside, as it doesn't jibe with your worldview of cycling...

http://www.torelli.com/raceinfo/tdf/tdfhistory1970.html
Torelli's History of the Tour de France: the 1970's

Stage 14 finished on Puy de Dome. Merckx was chasing van Impe and
Thevenet up the final climb when a spectator standing in the crowd
jumped out and punched the lone Merckx in the stomach. Van Impe won the
stage, Thevenet was only 15 seconds behind him. Astonishingly, Merckx
was able to finish only 49 seconds behind van Impe and keep his Yellow
Jersey. After crossing the line, in agony from the assault, Merckx
vomited, then rode down the hill and identified his assailant who said
it as an accident. Merckx still had a 58 second lead on Thevenet.

> As for the "utter destruction of his rivals...a fairly 'American way'
> (thank God)"--I think you're capturing rather well the image many have
> for our country abroad. No, I won't thank God.
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
> http://www.dentaltwins.com
> Brooklyn, NY
> 718-258-5001

"Gunsberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well, the French may not have had a particular hatred for Eddy Merckx,
> but apparently, there was abundant dislike for him, stemming from the
> taproot of Jingoism. At least one Frenchman was appalled enough at the
> prospect of the "Disdained" Anquetil's record of 5 tour victories being
> superceded, that he opted to take matters into his own hands. This is
> one of the most notorious events in TdF history, yet you just brush it
> aside, as it doesn't jibe with your worldview of cycling...

> http://www.torelli.com/raceinfo/tdf/tdfhistory1970.html
> Torelli's History of the Tour de France: the 1970's
>
> Stage 14 finished on Puy de Dome. Merckx was chasing van Impe and
> Thevenet up the final climb when a spectator standing in the crowd
> jumped out and punched the lone Merckx in the stomach. Van Impe won the
> stage, Thevenet was only 15 seconds behind him. Astonishingly, Merckx
> was able to finish only 49 seconds behind van Impe and keep his Yellow
> Jersey. After crossing the line, in agony from the assault, Merckx
> vomited, then rode down the hill and identified his assailant who said
> it as an accident. Merckx still had a 58 second lead on Thevenet.

First of al, the (mis)behavior of one single Frenchman is hardly a proof of
"abundant dislike" for Merckx. In the second place, it is far from certain
that the offender hit Merckx on purpose. According to him. he was pushed by
the crowd behind him and was swinging his arms to keep his balance, just at
the moment when Merckx was passing. His version was confirmed by other
spectators and in any case there was no question that "he jumped out and
punched the lone Merckx in the stomach" (obviously the writer hasn't seen
the images on TV, because in that case he would have seen that Merckx wasn't
lone at all). Merckx took the matter to court, where the suspect, a certain
Nello Breton (who by a crazy coincidence was defended by a lawyer called
Thévénet), was sentenced to pay a fine of one french franc.

Benjo

benjo maso wrote:
> Merckx took the matter to court, where the suspect, a certain
> Nello Breton (who by a crazy coincidence was defended by a lawyer called
> Thévénet), was sentenced to pay a fine of one french franc.

Presumably this Breton grokked irony, at least when it came to selecting a
lawyer.

Gunsberg wrote:
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:
>
>>J Jones wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, that was before he became completely obsessed with crushing any and all
>>>TdF comers - after which, he showed little/no emotion, no remorse, just
>>>absolute focus on utter destruction of his rivals. That's a fairly
>>>"American way" (thank God), and one that doesn't resonate well with the
>>>French. But, look at his popularity in the US - he's a megastar because
>>>he's a winner. In France, he's hated because he's a winner.
>>>Jeff
>>>

>> What a strange way to view the world!
>> In fact, my understanding is that some disdained Anquetil because he
>>would calibrate his effort just enough to win, as opposed to Poulidor
>>who would routinely split his guts in vain.
>> Nor do I recall a particular hatred of the French for Merckx, who
>>certainly could have had that same focus as Lance--and then some.

> Well, the French may not have had a particular hatred for Eddy Merckx,
> but apparently, there was abundant dislike for him, stemming from the
> taproot of Jingoism. At least one Frenchman was appalled enough at the
> prospect of the "Disdained" Anquetil's record of 5 tour victories being
> superceded, that he opted to take matters into his own hands. This is
> one of the most notorious events in TdF history, yet you just brush it
> aside, as it doesn't jibe with your worldview of cycling...

Sure, there' always the "random *******" to cop a line from "The Jerk".
If one assault (no matter how notorious) on a rider constitutes a
"worldview", I think we're in trouble.

Steve

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> benjo maso wrote:
>> Merckx took the matter to court, where the suspect, a certain
>> Nello Breton (who by a crazy coincidence was defended by a lawyer called
>> Thévénet), was sentenced to pay a fine of one french franc.

> Presumably this Breton grokked irony, at least when it came to selecting a
> lawyer.

He might even have been a past master in irony, because le maître Thévénet
had to argue at his plea that his client wasn't a fan of Thévénet at all ...

Benjo

N. Silver wrote:
> Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
> > benjo maso wrote:
> >> I'm afraid there might be some small gaps in your knowledge of French
> >> history.

> > And I'm afraid he prefers it that way...

> Please enlighten me. I would like to know
> more French history.

There is a cure for your apparent sarcasm here, if you care to look.
Five-ten minutes, you could be much better informed (taking your words
at face value), if not humbled in a particular regard:

http://tinyurl.com/b2fge

"Years in the war", "percentage of population as casualties" are
pertinent.

A couple of points: If the French rolled over so quickly, where did
their many military casualties come from? Comparing casualties, one
could wonder how the Dutch, who were overcome very quickly (while
having a much smaller land area, and about 1/5 the population, of
course) came out of the war with so much better a "reputation" (common
perception, speaking as a citizen of the USA) than did the French,
while suffering so few military casualties in comparison, by population
size?

Also (link lost, apologies), looking at the numbers of civilian losses
which include a percentage of Jewish/other "Nazi deportees", one could
wonder at the comparative perception between Dutch and French (small
"r") resistance to the Germans, which does (USA viewpoint again) seem
to favor the Dutch, and quite heavily. The regard fo "big R" Resistance
for both countries seems positive, with the French perhaps more noted,
FWIW. (Disclaiming anti-Dutch bias; my wife's parents are Dutch (from
Dordrecht; I've visited and enjoyed).

I don't know if "N. Silver" is from the USA; however, I hasten to add
that our ignorance is perhaps cultured by the same forces that would
prefer that none of the little children know where the 40-hour work
week, plus other employment benefits, came from.

Other useful research would concern Soviet tank/airplane production
during WWII. --D-y

dustoyevsky wrote:
> my wife's parents are Dutch (from
> Dordrecht; I've visited and enjoyed).

I was born there and lived there for 12 years. Say hi to them :)

--
E. Dronkert

> Well, the French may not have had a particular hatred for Eddy Merckx,
> but apparently, there was abundant dislike for him, stemming from the
> taproot of Jingoism. At least one Frenchman was appalled enough at the
> prospect of the "Disdained" Anquetil's record of 5 tour victories being
> superceded, that he opted to take matters into his own hands. This is
> one of the most notorious events in TdF history, yet you just brush it
> aside, as it doesn't jibe with your worldview of cycling...

Sure, there' always the "random *******" to cop a line from
"The Jerk".
If one assault (no matter how notorious) on a rider constitutes a
"worldview", I think we're in trouble.

It is not reasonable to infer from **my** comments that a
singular event, such as the assault on Merckx. "constitutes a
'worldview'" Rather, the implication was that the poster who made the
sweeping conclusions about the attitudes towards Merckx of the French
(fans of cycling) chose to selectively ignore data that undermined his
conclusions.

Sporting competitions tend to amplify Jingoistic tendencies.
I think that it is a fair assumption that the French cycling fans of
1975 would have preferred that a Frenchman--any Frenchman--would win
the race. It is easy to believe that if Merckx won his record
breaking 6th Victory in their own nation's tour, that many French would
have been greatly chagrined.

Violent incidents such as these tend to be the mere "Tip of the
Iceburg", when it comes to the manifestation of such Jingoistic
attitudes within a populace. While nearly everybody can quell any rash
impulses before engaging in rash, violent actions, I surmise that
the fellow who attacked Merckx was drunk on table wine, and made brash
by the lurid language that was used by his buddies.

Of course, I have no "proof", but it is nevertheless a reasonable
surmise. If you have proof that French cycling fans then (or now) are
somehow blind to a cyclist's nationality, when they (choose to express)
support for their favorite cyclist(s), then by all means, go ahead and
post it.

First of al, the (mis)behavior of one single Frenchman is hardly a
proof of
"abundant dislike" for Merckx.

No, it is not "proof". But, often it is an indicator of prevailing
attitudes.

For instance, it would be fallacious to conclude that Martin L. King's
assassination by a perpetrator who was a white Southerner (in the USA)
is "proof" of abundant dislike for MLK amongst white Southerners in
1968. However, it was indeed the case that MLK was hated by most white
Southerners in 1968

In the second place, it is far from certain
that the offender hit Merckx on purpose. According to him.
*************
According to the defendent?? How credible is he? As even a 4 year
old kid knows, an accused person has every incentive to lie, if he/she
believes that a lie will enable the averting or lessening of
punishment.

he was pushed by
the crowd behind him and was swinging his arms to keep his balance,
just at
the moment when Merckx was passing. His version was confirmed by other
spectators
*****************
His friends, trying to cover for him? Fellow Merckx haters, who
secretly wish they had had the guts to punch him?

In the US, in the South, the alibis of white defendants, accused of
lynching Blacks, were inevitably (but manifestly, falsely) corroborated
by an ample number of their neighbors, as a matter of course. "Justice"
with a wink and a nod.

and in any case there was no question that "he jumped out and
punched the lone Merckx in the stomach" (obviously the writer hasn't
seen
the images on TV, because in that case he would have seen that Merckx
wasn't
lone at all).
***************
How is that relevant? What is the significance of whether Merckx was
alone when he was punched, or whether Merckx alone, of the several
cyclists passing by Nello, was the one that was punched?

There is no argument that Nello punched Merckx. It seems quite
suspicious that Nello would just happen to punch race leader Merckx,
even though he was only one of several riders. What an unfortunate
coincidence.

Merckx took the matter to court, where the suspect, a certain
Nello Breton (who by a crazy coincidence was defended by a lawyer
called
Thévénet), was sentenced to pay a fine of one french franc.
***************
Too bad Mr. Breton never was compelled to defend himself in a
Belgian court. I suspect tht the sentence might have been a bit
different.

The simplest explanation is usually the best. My explanation for
Breton's actions is simpler than your's....

Benjo

Gunsberg wrote:
> [probably something in there]

Moron, even *no* quoting is better than that.

--
E. Dronkert

"Gunsberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> First of al, the (mis)behavior of one single Frenchman is hardly a proof
>> of "abundant dislike" for Merckx.

> No, it is not "proof". But, often it is an indicator of prevailing
> attitudes.

>For instance, it would be fallacious to conclude that Martin L. King's
>assassination by a perpetrator who was a white Southerner (in the USA)
>is "proof" of abundant dislike for MLK amongst white Southerners in
>1968. However, it was indeed the case that MLK was hated by most white
>Southerners in 1968

Sure, it might be an indicator, but that was not the way you presented the
incident in question. .

>>In the second place, it is far from certain
>>that the offender hit Merckx on purpose. According to him.

*************
> According to the defendent?? How credible is he? As even a 4 year
>old kid knows, an accused person has every incentive to lie, if he/she
>believes that a lie will enable the averting or lessening of
> punishment.

A defendant is not credible when his statement in inconsistent with all the
other evidence, but strangely enough, even a defendant night tell the truth.

*****************
> His friends, trying to cover for him? Fellow Merckx haters, who
> secretly wish they had had the guts to punch him?

First of all, his explanation is far from improbable. And I don't know if
you have ever been near the finish on the top of a mountain (I have), but
you're pushed every time when riders are coming into sight. And the
winesses? They were not his friends (I'm afraid you know very little of the
case). Besides, there was no evidence he was a "Merckx-hater", nor that he
was surrounded by them. And by the way, in the summer of 1975 I was in
France and I have seen the Tour as well (not at the Puy the Dome, but near
the Izoard). Seeing the Tour is a lot of fun, it's like one long party,
everybody is having a good time, making fun, teasing representants of other
nations, etc. Of course, there might be some fanatics here and there, but
they are an exception (I have never met them in France). And I remember 1975
quite well, Of course all the French hoped that Thévénet would win the Tour.
But "hating" Merckx? As absurd as "hating'' Armstrong right now. That's not
the way Frenchmen are generally seeing their Tour, which is much closer to
the way English are seeing the fact that they haven't won "their" Wimbledon
in more than 60 years than the fanatism you might assume.

> In the US, in the South, the alibis of white defendants, accused of
> lynching Blacks, were inevitably (but manifestly, falsely) corroborated
> by an ample number of their neighbors, as a matter of course. "Justice"
> with a wink and a nod.

Strong argument. I can't imagine why the accuser or the plaintiff in the
case didn't put it forward.

***************
> How is that relevant? What is the significance of whether Merckx was
> alone when he was punched, or whether Merckx alone, of the several
> cyclists passing by Nello, was the one that was punched?

It is in so far relevant, that you are basing your argument on the account
of one person (Torelli), but that this account turns out te be completely
wrong and irreliable.

> There is no argument that Nello punched Merckx. It seems quite
> suspicious that Nello would just happen to punch race leader Merckx,
> even though he was only one of several riders. What an unfortunate
> coincidence.

By the way, there were neither "several cyclists", but the facts he was hit
was in so far not an "unfortunate cocincidence", that Merckx was riding very
close to the public, which, by the way, is always a bit risky.

>> Merckx took the matter to court, where the suspect, a certain
>> Nello Breton (who by a crazy coincidence was defended by a lawyer
>> called
>> Thévénet), was sentenced to pay a fine of one french franc.

***************
> Too bad Mr. Breton never was compelled to defend himself in a
> Belgian court. I suspect tht the sentence might have been a bit
> different.

Do you really think that courts in France let them guide by chauvinistic
considerations? Apparently, Belgian journalists didn't think so, because
they didn't only write that the case was quite fair, but they also admitted
that the case was far from clear and called the sentence of the court - a
fine of one franc - "a Salomon's judgement".

> The simplest explanation is usually the best. My explanation for
> Breton's actions is simpler than your's....

The point is of course that I don't pretend to offer an firm explanation of
Berton's actions and certainly not an explanation based on completely wrong
evidence, but that I am stating that the case is far from clear, which given
the evidence avaliable seems to me to be fair.

Benjo