wide 27 inch tire?

Jim Smith

Guest
I am looking for a wide, smooth, 27 inch (iso 630mm) tire. About 35mm
mounted on the rim would be great. Does a tire like that exist?

"Jim Smith" wrote:

> I am looking for a wide, smooth, 27 inch (iso 630mm) tire. About 35mm
> mounted on the rim would be great. Does a tire like that exist?

The IRC Road Winner is nearly smooth and is available in 27" x 1-1/4"
(about 32 mm wide).

Art Harris

"Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Jim Smith" wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a wide, smooth, 27 inch (iso 630mm) tire. About 35mm
>> mounted on the rim would be great. Does a tire like that exist?

> The IRC Road Winner is nearly smooth and is available in 27" x 1-1/4"
> (about 32 mm wide).

Just to clarify, by "smooth" I just mean "not a knobby." Do the IRC
Road Winners actually measure 32mm when mounted? Thanks.

Jim Smith wrote:

> I am looking for a wide, smooth, 27 inch (iso 630mm) tire.
> About 35mm mounted on the rim would be great. Does a tire
> like that exist?

Indeed it does — I believe this is a Kenda:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1402

This is a Michelin:
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item1194.htm

Werehatrack <[email protected]> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 01:47:41 -0500, Jim Smith <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m <[email protected]> writes:

>>> Indeed it does I believe this is a Kenda:
>>> http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1402

>>This one claims 31mm
>>
>>> This is a Michelin:
>>> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item1194.htm

>>This one doesn't say.
>>
>>I am trying to figure out which is widest without buying one of each.

> You'll have to find someone else that has bought them and measured the
> actual dimensions, then, because when it comes to tires, manufacturer
> markings are not guaranteed to reflect actual sizes.

Exactly! That is why I asked in the NG.

Jim Smith <[email protected]> writes:

> I am looking for a wide, smooth, 27 inch (iso 630mm) tire. About 35mm
> mounted on the rim would be great. Does a tire like that exist?

Heh. Some Panaracer Pasela TG 27x1-1/4 arrived yesterday. They
measure 25.5mm mounted. Not what I expected. Has anyone else used
these? Are they supposed to be this narrow?

BTW, their tread looks nothing like either of the two pictures on the
box, nor like a new pasela 700x35 I have seen. Could these be old
tires?

conti TT are excellent, beyond category.
i thrived on Kenda 3 circumferential rib unbelted 27" and mourned their
passing at $10
as the 27x1-3/8 not 1/4" gave the frame/fork stability for sand swept
road berms.

the Conti was bought on Brown's sayso in the Harris tire section.
with the belts the 1/4 has as much stabilty as the 3/8 with much less
rolling resistance-the belt keeps the tire round whereas the non belted
allows the tire to flatten out under weight
and plus cornering forces

Jim Smith wrote:

> Heh. Some Panaracer Pasela TG 27x1-1/4 arrived yesterday. They
> measure 25.5mm mounted. Not what I expected. Has anyone else used
> these? Are they supposed to be this narrow?

Yes and yes. I've also got a 559 and a pair of 622 Paselas and they're both
fair bit skinnier than it says on the tin too.

There's a village in Texas that's missing its idiot.

[email protected] writes:

> conti TT are excellent, beyond category.
> i thrived on Kenda 3 circumferential rib unbelted 27" and mourned their
> passing at $10
> as the 27x1-3/8 not 1/4" gave the frame/fork stability for sand swept
> road berms.
>
> the Conti was bought on Brown's sayso in the Harris tire section.
> with the belts the 1/4 has as much stabilty as the 3/8 with much less
> rolling resistance-the belt keeps the tire round whereas the non belted
> allows the tire to flatten out under weight
> and plus cornering forces

The Harris web site says about 29mm for the conti TT 1/4. Does that
jibe with your experience?

after five years on TT, i've unpacked 3-4 different types of TT. No, i
have,t measured but i have a spare mounted and i'll look at it. but
where does one measure from??

each subsequent TT gets better
not worse as is...

i'd buy a 3/8's TT out of...
but expect greater rolling resistance better cornering power\
but with a mean downward performance curve due to...

Jim Smith wrote:
> Jim Smith <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I am looking for a wide, smooth, 27 inch (iso 630mm) tire. About

35mm
> > mounted on the rim would be great. Does a tire like that exist?

> Heh. Some Panaracer Pasela TG 27x1-1/4 arrived yesterday. They
> measure 25.5mm mounted. Not what I expected. Has anyone else used
> these? Are they supposed to be this narrow?

"Supposed to be"? Paselas run narrow in my experience, which could be
good or bad depending on the situation.

The widest 27" street tire I have seen personally is the Michelin World
Tour 27x1-1/4. It looks to be at least as wide as it says it is, when
mounted on a Wolber M58 rim. It's well-made and inexpensive, too.

Chalo

[email protected] writes:

> after five years on TT, i've unpacked 3-4 different types of TT. No, i
> have,t measured but i have a spare mounted and i'll look at it. but
> where does one measure from??
>
> each subsequent TT gets better
> not worse as is...
>
> i'd buy a 3/8's TT out of...
> but expect greater rolling resistance better cornering power\
> but with a mean downward performance curve due to...

I was just measuring the widest point. The point was just to get a
fat tire which I could put about 50psi in.

If I can find the 3/8 I will give them a try.

"chalo colina" <[email protected]> writes:

> Jim Smith wrote:
>> Jim Smith <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>> > I am looking for a wide, smooth, 27 inch (iso 630mm) tire. About

> 35mm
>> > mounted on the rim would be great. Does a tire like that exist?

>> Heh. Some Panaracer Pasela TG 27x1-1/4 arrived yesterday. They
>> measure 25.5mm mounted. Not what I expected. Has anyone else used
>> these? Are they supposed to be this narrow?

> "Supposed to be"? Paselas run narrow in my experience, which could be
> good or bad depending on the situation.
>
> The widest 27" street tire I have seen personally is the Michelin World
> Tour 27x1-1/4. It looks to be at least as wide as it says it is, when
> mounted on a Wolber M58 rim. It's well-made and inexpensive, too.

Thank you for the info. That sounds like the tire I am looking for.

Jim Smith wrote:
> Heh. Some Panaracer Pasela TG 27x1-1/4 arrived yesterday. They
> measure 25.5mm mounted. Not what I expected. Has anyone else used
> these? Are they supposed to be this narrow?
> BTW, their tread looks nothing like either of the two pictures on the
> box, nor like a new pasela 700x35 I have seen. Could these be old
> tires?

We've discussed variance of tire sizes here before.
Panaracer are among the narrowest tires for any given label.
(Panaracer's 26 is skinnier than Michelin's 25 for example)

There are lots of tires out there, so I'm sure you can find
the tire width you intended. Nothing 'wrong' here, any
more that the different fit of Lees vs. Levis. Try an IRC
Roadwinner or Roadwinner Duro maybe. Smoother than a Pasela
at any rate.

I haven't noticed a Pasela tread change lately.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org