Wide Performance Saddle needed

BikeDemon

Feb 1, 2012
I posted this in the general bike forum, but think I will get better responses here: I am 6'4" 225lbs, and inherited my mothers wide child-bearing hips/ sit bones. The stock prologo kappa saddle that came with my CAAD 10 is WAY too narrow - the whole seat practically fits between my sit bones, and causes numbness pretty quickly. My sit bones measure approximately 125-130mm apart. I have a planet bike A.R.S. Standard saddle, which is a 170mm width, and the fit is pretty good, but also feels a bit overly padded for long rides. I also tend to bounce on it a bit due to the softness. Does anyone have experience that can recommend a more performance oriented saddle that is available in wide width? Most of them seem to be anywhere from 130 - 155mm, which is not that wide. My kappa is 142mm. I know this is an extremely subjective thing, but if anyone has recommendations for something in the 160-170mm range, that would be great. I do ride with aero-bars when I ride alone, but they are not extremely low.

One year ago I bought a Specialized Avatar, 155mm for mij MTB and I also use it on my Colnago racer.
I did about 3500 km on it. And it still works fine and looks great.
This had a very positive effect on my rides. I'm around 120 kgs, 185cm. A bit heavier than you are. So I'm sure this could work for you too.
But, did you measur your butbones? I did and it came out I had to use this size.
They also have a 168?mm saddle.
Good luck with it.

R-Know - thanks for the response - I did measure my sit bones. They measure about 130mm. I think I am going to try a Specialized. The Avatar only comes in a 155mm, but the Romin Evo comes in a 168mm. I think I will give that a shot.