Will the UCI please fire McQuaid?!!

fscyclist

Jul 30, 2006
I think I've been too nice in my past statements about McQuaid. I no longer think he should resign, I think he needs to be fired immediately. His interview regarding Andreu's statement says it all. For excerpts, the link is http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/09/11/armstrong.teammates.drugs.ap/index.html

Anyway, I'll post a few quotes (with my commentary) from the article just to show how ridiculous they are:

1. " 'If Andreu wishes to say that, that's up to him to say that,' McQuaid told The AP by telephone. 'I don't know what he's trying to achieve because he cannot achieve anything by saying this.' " Good one McQuaid. Let's just shut down the discussion of doping and once again demean anyone who speaks out and starts to tell the truth. Nice to see the omerta is still thriving. Why couldn't he say something like, "I'm encouraged by Andreu's admission. I hope he is sincere and joins us in our fight against doping by revealing more information about methods, sources, and the structure that allowed doping to occur. We look forward to his cooperation."

2. "McQuaid said neither admission should cast doubt on Armstrong's record or his 1999 Tour victory." Well it may not cast doubt in McQuaid's mind, but for those with an IQ over 60, I think it does.

3. " 'To take dope is an individual decision by an individual rider,' McQuaid said, noting that most cases of cheating occur through contacts with doctors outside of the sport." I agree it ultimately is an individual decision, but when your organization does nothing meaningful to stop doping, then aren't you implicitly forcing those who want to compete to dope?

4. " 'Do people point the finger at any of the other Phonak riders because of what Landis is alleged to have done?' he said." Um......YES! Not just because of Landis but because of the ridiculous string of doping cases that came out of that team. Did the UCI investigate Phonak for their string of abuses? Of course not.

5. " 'There would be no reason to doubt the laboratory,' he said, adding that the French lab is 'of the highest integrity and quality.' " That one takes the cake. Just a month ago, he deliberately discredited the lab by implying they would leak the results of Landis' sample. To say this now is really unbelievable.

Sorry for the rant, but when I read that article I just got fired up. This guy is a clown and needs to go. The UCI will continue to be viewed as a corrupt, self-serving organization as long as he is at the helm.

fscyclist said:
I think I've been too nice in my past statements about McQuaid. I no longer think he should resign, I think he needs to be fired immediately. His interview regarding Andreu's statement says it all. For excerpts, the link is http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/09/11/armstrong.teammates.drugs.ap/index.html

Anyway, I'll post a few quotes (with my commentary) from the article just to show how ridiculous they are:

1. " 'If Andreu wishes to say that, that's up to him to say that,' McQuaid told The AP by telephone. 'I don't know what he's trying to achieve because he cannot achieve anything by saying this.' " Good one McQuaid. Let's just shut down the discussion of doping and once again demean anyone who speaks out and starts to tell the truth. Nice to see the omerta is still thriving. Why couldn't he say something like, "I'm encouraged by Andreu's admission. I hope he is sincere and joins us in our fight against doping by revealing more information about methods, sources, and the structure that allowed doping to occur. We look forward to his cooperation."

2. "McQuaid said neither admission should cast doubt on Armstrong's record or his 1999 Tour victory." Well it may not cast doubt in McQuaid's mind, but for those with an IQ over 60, I think it does.

3. " 'To take dope is an individual decision by an individual rider,' McQuaid said, noting that most cases of cheating occur through contacts with doctors outside of the sport." I agree it ultimately is an individual decision, but when your organization does nothing meaningful to stop doping, then aren't you implicitly forcing those who want to compete to dope?

4. " 'Do people point the finger at any of the other Phonak riders because of what Landis is alleged to have done?' he said." Um......YES! Not just because of Landis but because of the ridiculous string of doping cases that came out of that team. Did the UCI investigate Phonak for their string of abuses? Of course not.

5. " 'There would be no reason to doubt the laboratory,' he said, adding that the French lab is 'of the highest integrity and quality.' " That one takes the cake. Just a month ago, he deliberately discredited the lab by implying they would leak the results of Landis' sample. To say this now is really unbelievable.

Sorry for the rant, but when I read that article I just got fired up. This guy is a clown and needs to go. The UCI will continue to be viewed as a corrupt, self-serving organization as long as he is at the helm.
That is just outrageous anti-Irishism on your part. This whole forum is full of such blatant anti-Irishism. You should be ashamed. ;)

fscyclist said:

Well said!

Klodifan said:
Well said!
Agreed.

And, the UCI or WADDA or both should assign at least one chaperone to every Pro-Tour team. Give them unlimitted access to the riders, their bags, their homes. Keep track of them 24/7 during the season, regular health checks during the off seaon.