Winter riding?

I just got back from riding around my parents house in New Hampshire...
Rain :'( But I still had fun :D The snow has started to melt to ice,
which made my parent's drive way fun... my knobby is holding, and the
snow chains help too!
'http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html' (Me chains!)
I did some muni yesterday, before the rain hit, which was interesting...
an old logging road, 3 inches of powder over glare ice... many a UPD
;)
Today was more easygoing, tried (unsuccessfully) one-footing, did manage
a seat-out hop up a curb underneath a highway bridge... much easier
than I expected, and much easier than seat in... curb was almost as high
as my pedals ;) Gotta practice more... Than back up the dirt road and
practiced rolling hops over the ruts... that was a new one for me :)
Allways something new! Then a little more muni on a different trail,
which I learned has turned into prvate property... had to turn back,
which sucked 'cause I was too tired to try riding back (uphill). And
then I came in, wet, and muddy, but happy. Riding in rain is more fun
with contacts ;)

--
evil-nick - Unicyclist, Linux Geek, & swell guy

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

"shapr" <[email protected]> writes:

> How can I ride on this ice? It's been almost a week since I've been able
> to ride!

The 26" studded Nokian tires that have been mentioned work really well
on ice. I ride the Mount & Ground and have never felt the tire slip
on ice. I'd go for a fatter tire if I had it to do again for better
snow performance.

Ken

Here in the mid mid west we had a small blizzard and we got 19.13" of
snow and stupid people though they neede to drive, even though we have a
state of emegency and you will get a ticket, which made all the snow on
the streets pack down and it is 2 degrees right now so it was impossible
to ride on any thing but the streets and you could simly ride on and
stop and slide four or five feet it rocked, ifonly i had a better uni i
wouldnt have been able to do that though.

POW

--
Unitik908 - Level 4 almost level 5

"I am not gay although I wish I were, just to ******** homophobes"

--Kurt Cobain

"The 26" studded Nokian tires that have been mentioned work really
well
on ice. I ride the Mount & Ground and have never felt the tire slip
on ice. I'd go for a fatter tire if I had it to do again for better
snow performance."

I'm telling you, you don't need any kind of snow tire. If my uni was a
car, I would get a ticket for having bald tires. My Schwinn whitewall
handled slippery, but if you are a good rider, you can keep it under
control without a problem.

--
TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:23:21 -0600, "TheoELind" wrote:

>(I hope you
>don't mind me reiterating your material).

Linking to my website is always OK. But I linked to that very page
already in this thread :)

I thought about (but decided against) making this quote from your
other post my sig line:

"As long as you keep good weight distribution, your tire won't slip
out."

Distribution over all the wheels, akin to All Wheel Drive?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham"

Does anyone make a 24" studded wide tire? I asked the LBS and they said
they can't get them... :'(

--

evil-nick wrote:
> *Does anyone make a 24" studded wide tire? I asked the LBS and they
> said they can't get them... :'( *

Make your own. It will probably be cheaper if you do.

--
TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider

Any unicyclists in Colorado that want to ride with me? I love doing
street, trials, freestyle, MUni, whatever. I also have 2 friends who I
ride with. Even if you aren't in Colorado, come out over the summer
while the skii resorts need buisness. Those mountains are getting sick
of double tracks.

"TheoELind" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'm telling you, you don't need any kind of snow tire. If my uni was a
> car, I would get a ticket for having bald tires. My Schwinn whitewall
> handled slippery, but if you are a good rider, you can keep it under
> control without a problem.

Not a terribly helpful reply considering the statement, "It's been
almost a week since I've been able to ride!".

The fact is you might be able to ride in a straight line on glare ice,
as long as you don't make any suddent adjustments; I can idle on a
frozen lake. You probably want armor in case the tire shoots out from
beneath you without warning; I want armor because my shoe might slip
during a dismount (planned or not).

Seriously, if you want to ride any distance on ice (not just snow)
studded tires are the way to go. If you just want a few meters (maybe
tens of meters) of novelty, what you recommend is fine. Nokians are
great ice tires, with long wearing carbide studs.

Ken

Ken Cline wrote:
> * "I can idle on a
> frozen lake...."
> "Seriously, if you want to ride any distance on ice (not just snow)
> studded tires are the way to go. If you just want a few meters
> (maybe
> tens of meters) of novelty, what you recommend is fine. Nokians are
> great ice tires, with long wearing carbide studs."
>
> Ken *

A. Where do you live that you can go out on frozen lakes?

B. Novelty? There's a whole strech of about 11 blocks that I go on a
side walk on the border of a park. This path they "plow," but you can't
go down all the way when you plow with a tracter as they do. This leaves
about 2 inches of snow which, after the first day is trampled, and then
melts the second day. Over night in Colorado (like tonight- My computer
says it's 12 degrees) this slush freezes. The next morning at 6:30, I
had to face 11 blocks of black ice. You can still stay directly over the
wheel as you turn. The result is, of course, wide turns. So just use
your torso- not to fast, because I don't own "armor." Studded would be
nice, but all I'm saying is you don't need to go out and buy expensive
tires. I'm not saying you need to sand yours down to the smooth rubber
band I call a tire. If you have any kind of mountain tire, this will
work just fine.

--
TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider

Any unicyclists in Colorado that want to ride with me? I love doing
street, trials, freestyle, MUni, whatever. I also have 2 friends who I
ride with. Even if you aren't in Colorado, come out over the summer
while the skii resorts need buisness. Those mountains are getting sick
of double tracks.
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

"TheoELind" <[email protected]> writes:

> A. Where do you live that you can go out on frozen lakes?

First, let me apologize. I forgot to offer to let you ride my studded
26"er (more accurately, didn't notice you are from Denver in my haste
to post last night).

You are invited to try it and see the difference yourself the next
time you visit Fort Collins after January 10. Email me,
[[email protected]], if you're planning to come up. The west end of City
Park Lake freezes solid in winter and opens to hockey playing, ice
fishing, and (informally) ice unicycling. I doubt it is frozen yet.

> B. If you have any kind of mountain tire, this will work just fine.

I'll even add that I prefer a 3" MUni tire to my 1.9" Mount&Ground for
snow riding. Still, where otherwise I would try to avoid really icy
sections, I eagerly head for them riding the studs.

Ken

Ok, I'll keep in tuch with you about that. I don't have a car (or a
license for that matter) so I'll have to talk to my parents about
comming up there. Thanks for the invitation and I appologize for my
fiestyness.