Winter riding?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by marcvg, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. marcvg

    marcvg Guest

    I live in New England and there is a bit of snow on the ground this
    morning. Winter is on the way...

    I'd like to ride thorugh the winter, when conditions permit. I do not
    plan to ride on ice. Packed snow doesn't seem like a good idea either.

    I expect that cold weather (below freezing) riding is OK for roads that
    are clear, so I'd like to try that. What about for trails?

    --
    marcvg - Back in the saddle
    marcvg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7661

  2. munidobs

    munidobs Guest

    > I live in New England and there is a bit of snow on the ground this
    > morning. Winter is on the way...

    I live in Old England - how nice it would be to have any sort of winter
    here, other than damp. I would love to ride the trails in snow.

    For your preparation you should bear in mind the old adage - There's no
    such thing as bad weather, only inadequate clothing and equipment.

    Enjoy the snow !!!!!!

    Chris

    --
    munidobs - Level - whatever - who gives a ****
    munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790

  3. brian.slater

    brian.slater Guest

    marcvg wrote:
    > *I'd like to ride thorugh the winter, when conditions permit. I do not
    > plan to ride on ice. Packed snow doesn't seem like a good idea
    > either.*

    Packed snow shouldn't be a problem, it can actually be a better surface
    as it can be flatter than the ground. Cycle tires get traction where a
    car would just slide. Snowmobile tracks should be fun.:D

    I've ridden across patches of ice, with trepidation :eek: , but no
    problems.

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  4. MUniMac

    MUniMac Guest

    Winter is in full force here in northern Ontario, Canada! Last night I
    went out riding at -15 C(5 F), after we got a bunch of new snow. The
    sidwalks had been plowed, but the stong wind created 6-8" drifts. These
    proved to bring an added challange and enjoyment to my riding!

    Packed snow is really no different then trail riding, I find. However,
    once you start riding through a few inches of snow, it becomes very
    tiring very quickly. As for ice, I try to avoid that if I can; one
    wrong (jerky) move, and you're down before you know what hit you!

    If you have snow, or can get to a place that does, I certainly recommend
    doing some unicycling in the snow! It's a blast...

    --
    MUniMac - MUni Raider
    MUniMac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8277

  5. BoojiBoy

    BoojiBoy Guest

    marcvg wrote:
    > *I live in New England and there is a bit of snow on the ground this
    > morning. Winter is on the way...
    >
    > Are there any speical issues with cold weather riding I should know
    > of? *

    I live in New England as well, and the snow or sleet or rain has never
    stopped me from riding to classes. As long as you have a knobby tire and
    metal pedals that can grib your shoes when wet, you should be fine. stay
    away from making turns on ice, but other than that, riding in the snow
    is a blast.

    --
    BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider

    www.skawabunga.com
    www.purevolume.com/skawabunga
    www.epluribusfunk.tk
    gallery.unicyclist.com/epluribusfunk
    BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923

  6. PhilS

    PhilS Guest

    Winter is here in ottawa, ontario, and I've still been riding to school
    every day.

    noby tires are a must as well metal spiky pedals. I deflate my tire
    really low (I'm almost riding on my rim) which helps with traction.

    Ice should be fine as long as you go at a comfortable speed, don't turn,
    dont speed up and dont slow down.

    packed snow is fine. deep snow is VERY TIRING, and because of the loss
    of traction, you sometimes pedal but dont move.

    wet snow or snow with ice underneath is fun, as you can slide.

    If you get a chance, go down a hill!!!!!:)
    you only have to pedal slowly, pedaling faster=less resistance, pedaling
    slower/not at all=more resistance to ballance. Also, you can sort of
    slolam down.
    highly recomended:)

    --
    PhilS - Trumpet Drum Unicycles Juggler

    "There are only 10 types of people in the world - Those who understand
    binary, and those who don't" - NOT taken from MucRider's(?) sig line,
    but from the front of my T shirt from the salvation armey

    "There are 2 types of people... those who are greek and those who wish
    they was greek" - My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    PhilS's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8304

  7. markf

    markf Guest

    downhills in snow is one of the most fun things to do with a unicycle.
    the longer the downhill the better. I took my 2.6 gazz out last
    winter(hasn't snowed yet here) and packed snow feels a little sketchier
    than dirt but very predictable. Downhills are awesome if you balance
    just right you can slide for a while and start pedaling again. its rad.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  8. Go for it!!Snow is fun!although you get sick of it after a long
    winter.
    you should probally wipe your uni dry afterwards becuse snow or ice will
    stck to it.

    if you dont have or cant afford metal pedals,carry a hand towel in your
    coat pocket or somthing,and when you fall and your feet get wet,wipe
    them and your pedals off.

    --
    forrestunifreak - Im Lame!

    I live in my own little world.
    But thats okay.they know me here.

  9. vanished

    vanished Guest

    Yah snow is alot of fun, not much to worry about...don't keep your uni
    outside unless your using it, and when your done let it dry off before
    going out again, and make sure you oil your bearings after your done!
    Other than that, its a blast...oh and i wouldn't try any crazy rock
    trials, I was trying some simple stuff yesterday, and slipped, landed on
    my tail bone, bruised it, and got wiplash so watch out!

    --
    vanished - Snow Rider

    Why take the bus when you can uni, or maybe take your uni on the bus?
    vanished's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3791

  10. marcvg

    marcvg Guest

    BoojiBoy wrote:
    > *I live in New England as well, and the snow or sleet or rain has
    > never stopped me from riding to classes. As long as you have a knobby
    > tire and metal pedals that can grib your shoes when wet, you should be
    > fine. stay away from making turns on ice, but other than that, riding
    > in the snow is a blast. *

    Great news about snow! I'm pleasantly surprised that snow is rideable.
    This comment and the others are really encouraging. I've got a 24" with
    knobby tires and pedals with pins, so I think I'm all set w/ regards to
    equipment. I'll just wait for the next storm.

    --
    marcvg - Back in the saddle
    marcvg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7661

  11. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:13:04 -0600, "marcvg" wrote:

    > Great news about snow! I'm pleasantly surprised that snow is rideable.

    Some simple snow riding here:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/snow.htm

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham"

  12. ICP8456

    ICP8456 Guest

  13. me7777

    me7777 Guest

    as you said marcvg "I do not plan to ride on ice"

    good plan cos me and a fellow unicyclist had an ice race.
    it didnt end well (actuallly to be fair, neither of us finished)

    --
    me7777 - the byronator
    me7777's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8875

  14. aspenmike

    aspenmike Guest

    Riding on snow is really fun, even riding ice can be fun. Here in Aspen
    we gets lots of oppurtunity to ride on the white stuff. Good ideas from
    all, low pressure on knobby tire on packed snow is great fun. Powder
    snow riding, well... then its time to break out the telemark skis and go
    powder skiing. Cheers

    |Attachment filename: logan and kelly klein under chairlift 04.jpg|
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/258436|

    aspenmike - unicycling albino
    aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

  15. TheoELind

    TheoELind Guest

    It's starting the winter season here in Denver, and it has snowed a
    couple of times. We've had one actual storm, which I rode through 4
    miles a day for the whole week to school. I don't have spiky pedals ore
    knoby tires. Instead I have Schwinn pedals and a worn-smooth whitewall
    tire. I easily plowed through 6" of snow, and ice was no problem at all.
    As long as you keep good weight distribution, your tire won't slip out.
    It was hard with a heavy backpack (as finals were on there way). The
    only trouble I ran into was mounting. I ended up sticking with a suicide
    mount all week because the wheel would slide on a normal mount and
    during idleing. A fun thing to try is build up speed on dry pavement
    heading for ice, then when you hit the ice, make a sharp backpedal and
    you will coast pretty far depending on the slickness of the ice or the
    bareness of your tire.

    Always dry your rim especially when you get back, I was patching a hole
    the other day when I noticed rust in the nipple holes.

    Have fun all around the world (Ontario especailly, Canada rocks!)

    --
    TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider
    TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

  16. TheoELind

    TheoELind Guest

  17. shapr

    shapr Guest

    Dear Unicyclists,

    Here in the far north of Sweden, my town has turned into a bumpy sheet
    of ice after a surprise two days of one degree (centigrade) above zero
    where everything melted, and now ten degrees below where everything
    refroze.

    My KH24 does just fine as long as I don't do anything except ride in a
    straight line. If I try to do any sudden movements, I fall hard onto
    rock hard ice.

    How can I ride on this ice? It's been almost a week since I've been able
    to ride!

    signed,
    Cold Turkey

    --
    shapr - 90 km south of the Arctic Circle.
    shapr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7727

  18. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

  19. DK

    DK Guest

  20. mucRider

    mucRider Guest

    I live in southwest Tennessee (southern U.S.) and we have about 2 inches
    of sleet on the ground today.

    I just got back from my first ride on frozen stuff. I rode my 24" MUni
    (knobby tires). I was surprised at how smooth it was. Traction was good.
    Turning was slick and quick. Temperature is 15 degrees (F.) but after
    about 10 minutes I was sweating.

    I think I need to find a better location and go do this again.

    --
    mucRider - Old Unicycling Newbie

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary
    and those who don't.
    mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119