winter-time in Boston

Richard Ryan

Guest
Winter time in Boston

Looks like we may have a slightly smaller version of the "blizzard of 78" the storm is now in Boston
after having ruined Al's day in Pa. In 78 at the highth of the storm I managed to make it the ten
miles home from a friend's house in Wilmington, never saw another car moving on the ride home. Got
into the driveway and didn't see the car again for a week. (No sense in shoveling it out as all the
roads were closed for a week). On the fifth or sixth day I rode my bike into Boston, there were a
lot of people getting around on bikes and cross country skis. Most of the major roads had been
plowed but they still weren't allowing traffic on them. I rode to my favorite hangout, the Bull &
Finch, later immortalized as "Cheers". Ended up staying far into the
A.M. and consuming way too much beer. Got on the bike and headed home, the temp was 4 degrees but as
I was full of antifreeze it didn't seem too bad. I'll bet I'm the only person who rode a
bicycle on Rte. 93 (major freeway out of Boston) that morning. About 6 miles to my house, 1 1/2
miles on 93. About half way there on a road that was only partially plowed I passed the only
person I saw on the ride. As I rode by him I heard him mutter "asshole", went another 100 yards
and fell down. As I was picking myself up I thought, maybe he was right!

**** Ryan

****:

I can see the entrance road to Quantico Marine Base, where the FBI training facility is located,
from my front window. The only thing moving on it during the snowstorm yesterday, while the entire
facility was under Code Red, was a couple of tobogganers having a pretty good time. Sorta puts
things in perspective.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

news:[email protected]...