Winter's here...

Tony B

Guest
I got caught in a rain/sleet/snow/wind thing this afternoon, heading
over Saddleworth Moor. It was truly horrendous, I wished I was not there
more than once. The road was iced over, yet the twatting cars were happy
to pass me at 60+mph inches away from my elbows. If there had been some
shelter (or even a wall to hide behind) I would have taken it and called
Mrs B in for assistance. Funny, but the ride there was fine; out via
Woodhead and Holm Moss, plenty of time on the climb up to the TV tower
to admire the views. No wind, rain or slush... yet as soon as I got past
Digley reservoir and up onto the A635 I thought I'd never see home
again. The long descent down into Greenfield nearly killed me, I got
into Mossley frozen and looking like Jim Carrey in Dumb&Dumber (when
they go to Aspen on a scooter). Thankfully there was a cafe open; tea
and beans on toast for £1.95, excellent! The guy behind the counter was
even kind enough to wait for payment until my hands thawed and I could
actually operate the zip on my jacket.

Roll on the spring...

Tony B

BTW I had to go out today, as I was trying out my new pressie:

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RC2C.html

my life is complete...

"Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Roll on the spring...

What do you mean roll on spring...we haven't left autumn yet!

I've got 5 x 100km Audaxes under my belt since mid December and apart from
the one done in freezing fog up to Darlington from Leeds, there's been
little sign of nasty winter. Mind you, I did have a ride like yours two New
Year's days ago when i was blown off my bike a couple of times and the
rain/sleet/snow was nearly horizontal. I got my sustenance from Old
Peculier in the Tan Hill Inn rather than from baked beans and I too was
unhappy about being outdoors. Made it back though and lived to tell the
tale....nearly sought refuge at a farm houses on more than one occassion on
that ride.

> Tony B
>
> BTW I had to go out today, as I was trying out my new pressie:
>
> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RC2C.html
>
> my life is complete...

The web site is down I hope the bike a sufficiently high bling quotient..

Vernon

vernon wrote:
> "Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>BTW I had to go out today, as I was trying out my new pressie:
>>
>>http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RC2C.html
>>
>>my life is complete...

> The web site is down I hope the bike a sufficiently high bling quotient..

The web site was up just now and yes, it is gut wrenching, green eyed,
how do I convince the financial controller, bling.

Oh! why did we have to go to the makers site? I won't believe it until I
see the kitchen shot. Don't forget the Marmite.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Evolution is a harsh mistress.

in message <[email protected]>, Tony B
('[email protected]') wrote:

> BTW I had to go out today, as I was trying out my new pressie:
>
> http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/model-5RC2C.html
>
> my life is complete...

Oh, very, very nice!

Centaur groupset except for the chainset/bottom bracket. I wonder why they
went with FSA for that? Not that I know of anything wrong with the FSA
one.

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid

Response to Tony B:

We had an inch or so of snow quite suddenly yesterday evening. While I
was out and about in the car, I saw only six other cars on the road:
three of them had their rear windscreens entirely covered in snow.
Exactly how dumb does a driver have to be to get into a car without
clearing snow off the windows? </rant>

(I had a fun frozen-road journey on the trike early this a.m., thobut.)

--
Mark, UK
"Morals consist of political morals, commercial morals, ecclesiastical

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Centaur groupset except for the chainset/bottom bracket. I wonder why they
> went with FSA for that?

Because it's a 110mm BCD compact and thus can they fit an ikkle 34t
chainring for my old, **** legs... better than a triple though eh??? I
think 34 is the middle ring on my audax; that has a 25t largest sprocket
and yet the Cannondale on 34/25 went up the climbs much better than
the triple. It can't be down to my fitness either, I've hardly had
chance to get out in weeks. I'm a wreck.

bfn,

Tony B

Tony B wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> Centaur groupset except for the chainset/bottom bracket. I wonder
>> why they went with FSA for that?

> Because it's a 110mm BCD compact and thus can they fit an ikkle 34t
> chainring for my old, **** legs...

There is a Centaur compact option. But maybe they can get FSA ones cheaper,
or they think they're better?

> better than a triple though eh???

Not in any major way, imo.

> I think 34 is the middle ring on my audax; that has a 25t largest
> sprocket and yet the Cannondale on 34/25 went up the climbs much
> better than the triple.
> It can't be down to my fitness either, I've hardly had
> chance to get out in weeks. I'm a wreck.

I don't know what it's down to, except it's not the chainset.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

>> better than a triple though eh???

> Not in any major way, imo.

In a major way, er no maybe not but the double seems to change easier
and expect it will be lass of a faff to adjust. Oh, and it makes me look
a bit more macho too :) as long as no-one notices the small ring.

Finally, the chainset on my bike is not quite as the one on the
Cannondale website; mine is branded "Cannondale Si" although in (much)
smaller lettering it says "Made by FSA". Oh, and I have no Saeco logos
on my bike. Which I think is a Good Thing.

bfn,

Tony B

Tony B wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>>> better than a triple though eh???

>> Not in any major way, imo.

> In a major way, er no maybe not but the double seems to change easier
> and expect it will be lass of a faff to adjust.

There are /whole grammes/ less to ride around with there! Some people
spend thousands on that! ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> There are /whole grammes/ less to ride around with there! Some people
> spend thousands on that! ;-)
>
> Pete.

Oh ay, yeah - sorry, I forgot that. While looking for pedals for the
yank, I discovered it would cost £30 to get some nice red Look A5.1's
but another £200 to get similar pedals that weigh 30g less... who are
these people that do that??? I could loose 500g on my wheelset, but that
would cost me around a grand. I could cut my hair and nails off for
nowt... or leave my tools/tube/pump off the bike...

Sorry if I'm being blasphemous here, but really...

Tony B

('[email protected]') wrote:

>> There are /whole grammes/ less to ride around with there! Some people
>> spend thousands on that! ;-)
>>
>> Pete.

> Oh ay, yeah - sorry, I forgot that. While looking for pedals for the
> yank, I discovered it would cost £30 to get some nice red Look A5.1's
> but another £200 to get similar pedals that weigh 30g less... who are
> these people that do that???

Me.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

Simon Brooke wrote:
>> who are these people that do that???

> Me.

You will have seen the 3.3kg Crumpton hill climber in ProCycling last
month? That was tasty...

Tony B

In news:[email protected],
Tony B <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> Oh ay, yeah - sorry, I forgot that. While looking for pedals for the
> yank, I discovered it would cost £30 to get some nice red Look A5.1's
> but another £200 to get similar pedals that weigh 30g less... who are
> these people that do that??? I could loose 500g on my wheelset, but
> that would cost me around a grand. I could cut my hair and nails off
> for nowt... or leave my tools/tube/pump off the bike...

Last year Parker International were knocking out end-of-line Look CX7s - the
omni-adjustable carbon ones - for sixty quid a pair. RRP £250.

Cosimo now sports a pair of Look CX7s :)

--
Dave Larrington
Funny... You don't /look/ like Martha and the Vandellas!