Wired Vs. Wireless Computer

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:15:37 -0500, "D Heath" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Snipped............................................
>> I finally asked the (obvious) question: what do I need a computer on a mountain bike for anyway?
>> Life then got simpler.
>
> I'll buy that for you, though I'm afraid my own tendency to keep records won't allow me the
> same course. I also like to be able to utilize distances to certain intersections or landmarks
> in unfamiliar territory to help me keep from getting lost! Ah well. Wired or wireless or none
> of the above, let's enjoy the ride one way or another...

Ditto..

Have a full function computer (wired) on the road bike, but it never occured to me to put one
on the MTB..

[email protected]

> On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:32:49 -0500, D Heath wrote:
> > Well, let's see... maybe not having sticks jump up through your fork and wheel and rip the
> > wires out of the sensor or computer, requiring you to shell out for another setup.

"David L. Johnson >" <David L. Johnson <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I still don't get it. The front of a bike has lots of wires to worry about; derailleur cables,
> brake cables, spokes. Sure, some of these are stronger than computer wires, but on the other hand
> computer wires are right up against the frame. Why are sticks so much of a concern with computer
> wires but not these other, more important, wires?

"D Heath"> > At least in mountain biking, this is a very
> > real possibility. After this happened to me twice, I simply swore off wires on the mtb and will
> > never go back. Wires on a road bike are fine for me, but never on the trail.

"David L Johnson"> Still, a lot of wireless computers are sold for road bikes. They don't
> have this excuse. What advantage is there?

Advantage? Huge advantage.

Computer wiring kits are pretty darn expensive for what they are. The wiring of many models is not
all that easy to repair (Cateye for example). (You can repair one but not for much less than buying
the kit, which is half the cost of a computer. That alone offends some people) The incidence of
broken wires is fairly high. The incidence of customers screaming bloody murder about the cost of a
replacement is pretty high. ( and they do it in a crowded showroom on a Saturday, too!) Oh, and the
biggest whiners are the ones who broke their own wiring kit while doing maintenance or pulling the
bike out of a car, not by "stick".

So, sales staffs sell cordless! Simple.