Wonthaggi 24hr HPV Grand Prix - Test Ride

hippy

Guest
Original article: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=267

Next weekend I'll be a member of the Greenspeed team, racing for top
honours at the 2005 Wonthaggi Human Powered Grand Prix. The event is a
24 hour HPV endurance race around Wonthaggi Secondary College. Our team
consists of 8 riders powering a full carbon-fibre faired, recumbent, trike.

Today we had our first (and probably last!) test ride around Blackburn
velodrome.

The machine looks mean, currently all-black in raw carbon weave, it will
be painted gold before the race (my protests went unnoticed! :)). I
think it ran on three 20" wheels with slick tyres.
The cranks were very short, at least compared to a road bike, but the
chainring was massive to make up for it - something up around 65T?
Unfortunately I didn't even think to take photos of it! Doh! That'll
teach me to run late!
It was warm in the full fairing. It felt quite fast given its ~33kg
weight - I was usually doing 45kph up to 50kph on the Blackburn 'drome.
The steering was cool - it was very sensitive but as soon as you relaxed
and got used to it it was pretty awesome.
The large chainring dragged the chain over a 9-speed rear cassette which
was shifted with a barcon lever on the right steering-lever.
Braking was front discs operated by a brake lever, also on the right
steering-lever. A backup brake will be fitted to the left lever.
Lights will also be fitted - I heard HID mentioned and Luxeon for backup
and rear flashers.
I'm not sure if bottle mounts will be fitted but a Camelbak bladder will
do nicely.

There's definately some different muscle use going on - I noticed some
muscle soreness in my quads, just above my knees, which I don't tend to
find on an upright bike. I think I'm just going to have to keep my
cadence high and make sure I warm up properly before each session at the
race.

While waiting for some of the others to ride the black beast (I wonder
if it has a name?) I tried to ride John's (I think that's ya name?)
funky two-wheeler 'bent. I don't know what it was but it had a round
tube over the rider's right shoulder and very small handlebars up and in
front. The pedals were out the front and it was quite low to the ground.
I was UNCO!!
It was like learning to ride all over again! Actually, it wasn't that
bad because I did manage to get it moving and stay upright.. mostly :)
I want to get hold of one for some more practise.. fun fun fun!
---

I'm trying to get hold of some pics of the two 'bents mentioned..

hippy

hippy wrote:
> Original article: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=267
>
> Next weekend I'll be a member of the Greenspeed team, racing for top
> honours at the 2005 Wonthaggi Human Powered Grand Prix. The event is a
> 24 hour HPV endurance race around Wonthaggi Secondary College. Our team
> consists of 8 riders powering a full carbon-fibre faired, recumbent, trike.

Ooohhh, I'm jealous! I've been fascinated with faired trikes ever since
I read an article in an Omni magazine back in the early 80's. Sadly I
haven't yet gotten motivated enough to build or rich enough to buy one.

Please get some pics.
--
Brett

none said:
hippy wrote:
> While waiting for some of the others to ride the black beast (I wonder
> if it has a name?) I tried to ride John's (I think that's ya name?)
> funky two-wheeler 'bent. I don't know what it was but it had a round
> tube over the rider's right shoulder and very small handlebars up and in
> front. The pedals were out the front and it was quite low to the ground.
> I was UNCO!!
> It was like learning to ride all over again! Actually, it wasn't that
> bad because I did manage to get it moving and stay upright.. mostly :)
> I want to get hold of one for some more practise.. fun fun fun!
> ---
>> hippy

Sounds very weird.. DO send pics

Dave

That would be the XEVON.
Once quoted as being the "fastest recumbent in Australia" but never proven in action. Well, it looks fast, but the "over the shoulder boulder holder" isn't my cup of tea.
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~vichpv/Members/John%20Kul/John%20K.html
OzHPV Challenge at Broadford Victoria on Saturday 2nd April - all welcome.
www.ozhpv.org.au

Pete

Poiter wrote:
> That would be the XEVON.
> Once quoted as being the "fastest recumbent in Australia" but never
> proven in action. Well, it looks fast, but the "over the shoulder
> boulder holder" isn't my cup of tea.
> http://home.vicnet.net.au/~vichpv/Members/John Kul/John K.html

Awesome, that's the one!

I'd say it's the very same bike, given that the owner's name was John
and it has S&S couplings fitted.

I managed to bruise my (previously broken, now with sharp sticky-outy
bits) collarbone going over a speed bump.. hahaha.. I'm a dork!
I also managed to do a 0kph tip-over right in front of the owner! How
embarassing! He was all concerned about me and all I could think about
was the fact I'd just dumped his bike!

Tanks for dat!
hippy

Hippy wrote:

> I also managed to do a 0kph tip-over right in front of the owner! How
> embarassing! He was all concerned about me and all I could think about
> was the fact I'd just dumped his bike!

I had a go of a friends M5 a while ago. He insisted I ride it down a grassy slope, and coast down a couple of times before I try pedalling.

Coasting was fine, but as soon as I tried to pedal I went over (rather embarrasingly). Tyring to use SPD pedals with my Look cleats certainly didn't help, as my feet kept falling off the pedals. It was very similar to your experience - I was worried I'd damaged his bike, and he was worried I'd damaged me.

They are kinda cool though (the plastic fairing on the greenspeed sounds particularly neat).

Cheers,

Suzy

suzyj wrote:
> I had a go of a friends M5 a while ago. He insisted I ride it down a
> grassy slope, and coast down a couple of times before I try pedalling.

Good idea.. the hardest part was the initial 'push off'. Once you got it
moving, the hardest thing was the super-twitchy (for me) steering. It
was just 'strange' and felt kinda tippy. I'm sure with more time (you
hearing this John? ;) ) I would nail it..

> Coasting was fine, but as soon as I tried to pedal I went over (rather
> embarrasingly). Tyring to use SPD pedals with my Look cleats certainly
> didn't help, as my feet kept falling off the pedals. It was very
> similar to your experience - I was worried I'd damaged his bike, and he
> was worried I'd damaged me.

I had sneakers on which made it a bit easier.

> They are kinda cool though (the plastic fairing on the greenspeed
> sounds particularly neat).

Plastic IS fantastic. :)

hippy

Hippy wrote:

> Ask and ye shall receive (now that bigpoo has fixed their news server)..

Awesome! The holes at the front look like torpedo tubes.

I imagine it gets pretty warm inside.

Regards,

Suzy

suzyj wrote:
> Awesome! The holes at the front look like torpedo tubes.

We thought they were for forcing in food as we lapped..

> I imagine it gets pretty warm inside.

Imagine no more! :)

I was red faced and dripping with sweat after a few minutes. It IS well
vented but I WAS trying to go hard for the shortish test.

The guys are doing more work to it - fitting rubber seals so the lid
doesn't rattle when closed, fitting lights and another brake, fitting
internal guards over the tyres to keep water out and protect fingers,
possibly adjust seating position, painting and covering it with stickers.

hippy

hippy wrote:
> Brett wrote:
>
>> Please get some pics.

> Ask and ye shall receive (now that bigpoo has fixed their news server)..
>
> Pictures of the black beast within:
> http://www.thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=267

I really quite like John's XEVON, and even better the Xydigo looks like
a very cool concept... i'm tempted to make one. just had a little tidy
up in a 'burb not that far away during hard rubbish week =)

regards,

kim

hippy wrote:

> suzyj wrote:
> > Awesome! The holes at the front look like torpedo tubes.

> We thought they were for forcing in food as we lapped..
>
> > I imagine it gets pretty warm inside.

> Imagine no more! :)
>
> I was red faced and dripping with sweat after a few minutes. It IS well
> vented but I WAS trying to go hard for the shortish test.
>
> The guys are doing more work to it - fitting rubber seals so the lid
> doesn't rattle when closed, fitting lights and another brake, fitting
> internal guards over the tyres to keep water out and protect fingers,
> possibly adjust seating position, painting and covering it with stickers.
>
> hippy

How about air con and a 10 cd stacker?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:34:55 GMT, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>suzyj wrote:
>> Awesome! The holes at the front look like torpedo tubes.

>We thought they were for forcing in food as we lapped..
>
>> I imagine it gets pretty warm inside.

>Imagine no more! :)
>
>I was red faced and dripping with sweat after a few minutes. It IS well
>vented but I WAS trying to go hard for the shortish test.

And it's bloody hard to spin up - the Ubershort cranks give very
little leverage, accelerating the thing is a killer - it took me
5 laps to get it up to 50km/h. If you get a chance, do what I
did and do a few brake and accelerate practices, correct
choice of gear is going to be critical to accelerate out of
the corners and not get blocked by more nimble, but slower
trikes. BTW, we all need to bring beards ...

Carl Brewer wrote:

> BTW, we all need to bring beards ...

That's a very good point. Without beards, you'd be letting the recumbent scene down badly. Indeed, I'm sure no beard would be grounds for disqualification from most HPV events.

We expect pictures... *grin*

Cheers,

Suzy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> hippy wrote:
>
>>suzyj wrote:
>>
>>>Awesome! The holes at the front look like torpedo tubes.

>>We thought they were for forcing in food as we lapped..
>>

>>>I imagine it gets pretty warm inside.

>>Imagine no more! :)
>>
>>I was red faced and dripping with sweat after a few minutes. It IS well
>>vented but I WAS trying to go hard for the shortish test.
>>
>>The guys are doing more work to it - fitting rubber seals so the lid
>>doesn't rattle when closed, fitting lights and another brake, fitting
>>internal guards over the tyres to keep water out and protect fingers,
>>possibly adjust seating position, painting and covering it with stickers.
>>
>>hippy

> How about air con and a 10 cd stacker?

I have another of those funny mental images.

Several fully faired recumbents racing around a circuit and every time
Hippy goes past you can hear a solid "doof doof doof" pumping out.

(Tamyka you bring out the worst in me!)

Marty

Carl Brewer said:
BTW, we all need to bring beards ...

nah, beards are just face fairing and the bike's already fully faired.
hmm, maybe a trim little goatee on the fairing?

Carl Brewer wrote:
> And it's bloody hard to spin up - the Ubershort cranks give very
> little leverage, accelerating the thing is a killer - it took me
> 5 laps to get it up to 50km/h.

Ahh.. so it wasn't just my crappy legs! ;)

> If you get a chance, do what I
> did and do a few brake and accelerate practices, correct
> choice of gear is going to be critical to accelerate out of
> the corners and not get blocked by more nimble, but slower
> trikes. BTW, we all need to bring beards ...

I freaked out when I stopped pedaling! Coasting is wrong on a 'drome!
Good idea though with the stop-go practise. Remind me before the race :)

I just finished installing Feral Eadie-Copy Goatee 3.2 - I think that
should suffice?

hippy
"the 'original' copy"

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> How about air con and a 10 cd stacker?

No way - Aircons sap power! :)

I am very much in favour of the stacker idea but would like to go one
better. Portable MP3 player - lighter, draws less power, more music for
its size, no skipping, connect it to boosted Belkin FM transmitter and
the pit crew can listen in on the live Drax sets while I ride around :D

Marty: I'll speak to the Greenspeed dudes and see if I can have a couple
of 12" subs and a set of 6x9's fitted before the race..

Carl: Is there a pub nearby or should I fill an esky? :cool:

hippy
"doof doof doof"