Wonthaggi 24hr HPV Grand Prix - Test Ride

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 at 22:52 GMT, warrwych (aka Bruce)

> hippy Wrote:
>> Carl Brewer wrote:
>> > The true word out on the streets is produced by the TAC

>> I had "Whatareya.. you're a ******!" going through my head all the way
>> home from the 'drome you *******! ;)
>>
>> hippy

> and thats the pure joy of TISM Hipstar... used to go out with a tism
> freak.. he is still a freak and my head is now filled with useless tism
> lyrics which getchya at opportune moments....

I didn't even realise they were australian til recently, and I missed
them when they were doing a whole bunch of shows in St Kilda etc.

Greg, the stop sign!

Dijkstra probably hates me
(Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)

TimC wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 at 22:52 GMT, warrwych (aka Bruce)
> >
> > hippy Wrote:
> >>
> >> I had "Whatareya.. you're a ******!" going through my head all the way
> >> home from the 'drome you *******! ;)
> >>
> >> hippy

> > and thats the pure joy of TISM Hipstar... used to go out with a tism
> > freak.. he is still a freak and my head is now filled with useless tism
> > lyrics which getchya at opportune moments....

> I didn't even realise they were australian til recently, and I missed
> them when they were doing a whole bunch of shows in St Kilda etc.
>
> Greg, the stop sign!
>
> --
> TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
> Dijkstra probably hates me
> (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)

And as I <drove but I was really tired from cycling yesterday being
unfit and all that> travelled to uni today I too had that song in my
head, as I looked at some of the other drivers...

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 at 23:23 GMT, Tamyka Bell (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>>
>> Greg, the stop sign!
>>

> And as I <drove but I was really tired from cycling yesterday being
> unfit and all that> travelled to uni today I too had that song in my
> head, as I looked at some of the other drivers...

Not "I'm a ******, ... I'm a yob...."?

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:52:22 +1100, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>hippy Wrote:
>> Original article: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=267
>>

>survive?

barely

>can you now officially be referred to as a 'cager' ? :D

Urghhhh

We trashed the thing, the CF fairing is destroyed, we went through 2
kevlar/alloy honeycomb wheels, we rolled it at last 9 times, it got
put over the barriers once .. but it kept on trucking. Emphasis on
truck .. (ob TiSM reference ... "I drive a truck"). Wrong design for
the course. Too heavy and too unstable. We did set the fastest
lap, but the trike wasn't stable enough to corner fast enough to
maintain its speed without huge effort. It was an experimental
design, and Paul Sims learnt a lot, as did us poor plebs drive/riding
the beast. If it had been a faster circuit, we'd have won by
tonnes, but the corners killed us. I think we ended up 4th or 5th.

105mm cranks, sheet alloy seat (!), zero vision at night (scratched
and smeared perspex ...), ~30kg, 600mm front track and 3 roadies
who've spent a sum total of 20 mins in the thing prior to race day!

"mum, I want to go home!"

Carl Brewer said:
We trashed the thing, the CF fairing is destroyed, we went through 2
kevlar/alloy honeycomb wheels, we rolled it at last 9 times, it got
put over the barriers once .. but it kept on trucking. Emphasis on
truck .. (ob TiSM reference ... "I drive a truck").

"trucking rennaiscance"?

Carl Brewer said:
Wrong design for the course. Too heavy and too unstable. We did set the fastest
lap, but the trike wasn't stable enough to corner fast enough to
maintain its speed without huge effort. It was an experimental
design, and Paul Sims learnt a lot, as did us poor plebs drive/riding
the beast. If it had been a faster circuit, we'd have won by
tonnes, but the corners killed us. I think we ended up 4th or 5th.

105mm cranks, sheet alloy seat (!), zero vision at night (scratched
and smeared perspex ...), ~30kg, 600mm front track and 3 roadies
who've spent a sum total of 20 mins in the thing prior to race day!

"mum, I want to go home!"

whoa! images of 'rollerball' flash before me.
almost sounds like fun.
almost

Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:52:22 +1100, flyingdutch
>>survive?

> barely

What he said.

>>can you now officially be referred to as a 'cager' ? :D

Yes, especially given my 'drive there, oh lets drive home and back again
because I forgot everything useful' method of arrival. Remind me never
to race more than 1hr ride away from home..

> We trashed the thing, the CF fairing is destroyed, we went through 2
> kevlar/alloy honeycomb wheels, we rolled it at last 9 times, it got
> put over the barriers once .. but it kept on trucking. Emphasis on
> truck .. (ob TiSM reference ... "I drive a truck"). Wrong design for
> the course. Too heavy and too unstable. We did set the fastest
> lap, but the trike wasn't stable enough to corner fast enough to
> maintain its speed without huge effort. It was an experimental
> design, and Paul Sims learnt a lot, as did us poor plebs drive/riding
> the beast. If it had been a faster circuit, we'd have won by
> tonnes, but the corners killed us. I think we ended up 4th or 5th.

What he said. I have before and after photos, but, like my helmet and
shoes for the race, I forgot the cd with them on it!

Carlos: I'll show you mine if you show me yours.. Um.. what I mean is,
can I get a cd with your pics on it for a cd with my pics on it?
That'd be grand.

> 105mm cranks, sheet alloy seat (!), zero vision at night (scratched
> and smeared perspex ...), ~30kg, 600mm front track and 3 roadies
> who've spent a sum total of 20 mins in the thing prior to race day!

The seat wasn't an issue for me, neither was the vision (the windscreen
had been smashed out to improve visibility by then), I did some muscle
damage with my choice of gearing but by my third session had it (more)
sussed and was feeling better even with the trashed legs.
My main issue was my calves cramping - we needed waaaay more practise in
this thing before the race - 20min doesn't cut it when you've never
ridden a 'bent before!
My hip(py) flexors are kinda stuffed now too - probably just because the
position wasn't normal and I was grinding a lot.
I was really getting into it by my third stint though and would
definately give it another shot, preferably in something a little
lighter with a bit more practise time beforehand.

Big thanks to Paul (Greenspeed), Carl for hooking me up with the team
and the other guys on our team.

hippy

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:20:31 +1100, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> We trashed the thing, the CF fairing is destroyed, we went through 2
>> kevlar/alloy honeycomb wheels, we rolled it at last 9 times, it got
>> put over the barriers once .. but it kept on trucking. Emphasis on
>> truck .. (ob TiSM reference ... "I drive a truck").
>>

>"trucking rennaiscance"?

"I drive a truck" (from GTSoTR, yes)

>whoa! images of 'rollerball' flash before me.

More like "fosters Carpark" alas.

Stu will have photos ... suprised he hasn't posted a link yet
actually.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 02:56:33 GMT, hippy <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Carlos: I'll show you mine if you show me yours.. Um.. what I mean is,
>can I get a cd with your pics on it for a cd with my pics on it?
>That'd be grand.

Of course. Roll around one night ...

WE WON!!

Quoting Paul from Greenspeed:
"I must be tired, I forgot to mention that we won the Community Class,
we won Design and Construction Award and, drumroll...we won overall!!!
I didn't even realise when I looked at the awards this morning until
Barry pointed it out!

If you didn't already know, the laps only account for a certain percent
to qualify for the overall win. Last year we did the most number of
laps (which they didn't beat this year) but did poorly for the design
because I didn't "sell it" at scrutineering."

Yeeeees!!!

hpv hippy

Carl Brewer wrote:
> Stu will have photos ... suprised he hasn't posted a link yet
> actually.

You shouldn't be all that surprised that I forgot the disc after Sat..

hippy
"Wanted: Brain, male, used w/ <26yrs on the clock, must have good memory"

Carl Brewer wrote:
>>Carlos: I'll show you mine if you show me yours.. Um.. what I mean is,
>>can I get a cd with your pics on it for a cd with my pics on it?
>>That'd be grand.

> Of course. Roll around one night ...

Rockin!
I'll just have to wait a few weeks until my legs work again.. ;)

hippy

hippy wrote:
> Big thanks to Paul (Greenspeed), Carl for hooking me up with the team
> and the other guys on our team.

is .. um .. greenspeed an australia outfit?

cheers,

kim

Kim Hawtin wrote:
> hippy wrote:
>> Big thanks to Paul (Greenspeed), Carl for hooking me up with the team
>> and the other guys on our team.

> is .. um .. greenspeed an australia outfit?

I believe Paul is an Aussie and his Dad started GS. They have an
international presence but I'm pretty sure they are an Aussie company.

Actually, just read what they have to say here:
http://www.greenspeed.com.au/NewGSweb/web-content/australia/about.html

hippy

suzyj wrote:
> We expect pictures... *grin*

Your wish is my command..

Before:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-5689

After:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-5771

All Images:
http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=96

Various hpv's on Sat, then a few dodgy night shots, then more general
shots, finishing up with what's left of the Greenspeed "Bezerk" trike.

I think it was 'only' a $4500 carbon fibre fairing.. oops :)

hippy
- whose sleep patterns are still in 24hr-race mode

Hippy wrote:

> Your wish is my command..

My wish was for pics, not for you lot to destroy the poor thing!

There must be one hell of a good story behind that damage. Did you take the windscreen out for better cooling, or because it broke?

Regards,

Suzy

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:08:02 +1100, suzyj
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There must be one hell of a good story behind that damage. Did you
>take the windscreen out for better cooling, or because it broke?

yes
(and more than just "one" hell of a good story)

I think I did the big break in the RHS lower front, riding
at night around the football oval, overtaking blind with
almost zero viz, I hit some low tyres forming a barrier,
got about a foot airborne before landing and keeping
going - around 35km/h I guess. The fairing hit the tyres
first.

Also, I was the first to roll it ... turn 1 was on-camber 90 degree
left hander, then switched to off-camber quite drastically
just on the apex. Atempting to do a fast qualifying lap
around that corner .. urgh!

We removed the windscreen because the scratches and
the smeared fog-x made it impossible to see more than 5m ahead
at night. I think Neil was also fogging it up after my second shift

Carl Brewer wrote:
> I think I did the big break in the RHS lower front, riding
> at night around the football oval, overtaking blind with
> almost zero viz, I hit some low tyres forming a barrier,
> got about a foot airborne before landing and keeping
> going - around 35km/h I guess. The fairing hit the tyres
> first.
>
> Also, I was the first to roll it ... turn 1 was on-camber 90 degree
> left hander, then switched to off-camber quite drastically
> just on the apex. Atempting to do a fast qualifying lap
> around that corner .. urgh!

... and you offered to drive my car back!!! Ha! :p

I can't believe I was so worried about damaging it!
That final session for me turned into a muscle fest.. "Shunt me all you
want buddy.. but I'm putting my vehicle.. HERE!"

> We removed the windscreen because the scratches and
> the smeared fog-x made it impossible to see more than 5m ahead
> at night. I think Neil was also fogging it up after my second shift

Yeah. Neil came in early during one of his stints - there's a 15min lap
time in there somewhere, while the guys smashed it out. I'm surprised he
even made it in - the windscreen was totally fogged up, much like your
session I guess. I didn't mind it without the windscreen - it certainly
wasn't too cold in there. It would be good to try it with and without
the windscreen for a single session - I was lapping pretty consistant
times - I just wonder how much difference it makes..

Rode to work today - legs are still pretty trashed.

hippy

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 at 03:57 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> WE WON!!
>
> Quoting Paul from Greenspeed:
> "I must be tired, I forgot to mention that we won the Community Class,
> we won Design and Construction Award and, drumroll...we won overall!!!
> I didn't even realise when I looked at the awards this morning until
> Barry pointed it out!

W00t! Good work... I'm jealous.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

hippy said:
WE WON!!

Quoting Paul from Greenspeed:
"I must be tired, I forgot to mention that we won the Community Class,
we won Design and Construction Award and, drumroll...we won overall!!!
I didn't even realise when I looked at the awards this morning until
Barry pointed it out!

If you didn't already know, the laps only account for a certain percent
to qualify for the overall win. Last year we did the most number of
laps (which they didn't beat this year) but did poorly for the design
because I didn't "sell it" at scrutineering."

Yeeeees!!!

hpv hippy

Hey I didn't realise the race had already happened. Beauty! That's a pretty trick and futuristic looking machine, but I liked the nude carbon look more as well. Looks like you guys did a pretty good job smashing it up. Luckily gaffa tape and zip ties fix just about anything hey. From the way you described it no wonder your legs are smashed. Does this mean you've bought a pair of SPD sandals and long socks yet? :)

Adam