Would it be funny if Jeremy Clarkson got cancer?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:01:23 +0100 someone who may be Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>Oh, he could conceivably be run over - he does [or did] cycle regularly,
>>allegedly. (Although I suppose he could be strictly an off-roader.)

>Are you sure you're not confusing him with Jeremy Paxman?

As I recollect Mr Clarkson was outed as a cyclist some years ago, by
his wife.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:03:18 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 19:01:23 +0100 someone who may be Tom Crispin
><[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>>Oh, he could conceivably be run over - he does [or did] cycle regularly,
>>>allegedly. (Although I suppose he could be strictly an off-roader.)

>>Are you sure you're not confusing him with Jeremy Paxman?

>As I recollect Mr Clarkson was outed as a cyclist some years ago, by
>his wife.

How embarrassing for him. Apologies to Mark for my doubt.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> How many Zen Masters does it take to change a lightbulb?
>
> None. The universe revolves around the bulb, and the Master leaves it
> alone.

hehe. How many Zen disciples does it take to change a lightbulb?

Two. One the change the bulb, and one /not/ to change the bulb.

How many international standards committee members does it take to
change a lightbulb?

Bayonet or threaded?

Response to Patrick Herring:

How many Freudians does it take to change a light bulb?

Two: one to change the bulb, the other to hold the penis^H mother^H
ladder.

--
Mark, UK
"I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when

in message <[email protected]>, Patrick
Herring ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:

>> How many Zen Masters does it take to change a lightbulb?
>>
>> None. The universe revolves around the bulb, and the Master leaves it
>> alone.

> hehe. How many Zen disciples does it take to change a lightbulb?
>
> Two. One the change the bulb, and one /not/ to change the bulb.
>
> How many international standards committee members does it take to
> change a lightbulb?

At a guess, aleph two?

(Simon, has served on international standards committees)

[ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

Simon Brooke wrote on 23/09/2006 09:10 +0100:

> (Simon, has served on international standards committees)

Participating only over the net I hope ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote on 23/09/2006 09:10 +0100:
>>
>> (Simon, has served on international standards committees)

> Participating only over the net I hope ;-)

Certainly. And travelling when necessary by train and (gasp) bicycle.
Although the one helicopter ride of my life was en route to Monte Carlo for
a meeting of a working group on electronic navigational charts...

my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

In article <[email protected]>,
Rob Morley <[email protected]> writes:

|> > And given that that is so, you'd be pretty
|> > stupid not to take seriously someone who deliberately sets out to incite
|> > stupid people to try to kill you.
|>
|> You don't really believe that, do you? I'm more concerned about people
|> who don't see me at all than people who see me as a potential target.

You may be. Up until about 10 years ago, I was. On my commuting route,
the proportion of assaults relative to negligent endangerment was about
1:20, but it started to increase (largely as a result of the attempts to
force cyclists off the road, a.k.a. providing facilities for cyclists).
It got up to about 1:3 when I was deliberately knocked off 3 times in a
year by StageRoach drivers; in the last occurrence, I was permanently
injured, and enough was enough[*].

I am now a car commuter until retirement. In the past week, I have
cycled c. 100 miles around north Cornwall and Devon, but that is OK.
Cambridge is not.

There are lots of people like me. I was told about another on holiday.
He will cycle in London, but not Cambridge.

And, yes, I regretted that it wasn't Clarkson that had the accident.
It is said that those that live by the sword will die by the sword,
but the reality is that it is the innocent that suffer and the guilty
that live to an old age.

[*] The driver admitted that it was deliberate in the presence of an
independent witness. The police told me (effectively) to sod off.
I was not interested in revenge, and the injury didn't appear for
18 months, so didn't take legal action.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

In article <[email protected]>
Nick Maclaren <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>

> I am now a car commuter until retirement. In the past week, I have
> cycled c. 100 miles around north Cornwall and Devon, but that is OK.
> Cambridge is not.

I don't think I've ever been to Cambridge - if I do go there I shall be
sure to prepare for battle first.

> [*] The driver admitted that it was deliberate in the presence of an
> independent witness. The police told me (effectively) to sod off.

You should have made a complaint at the time - that seems to be the only
way that anything is going to be done about the workshy attitude that
some police forces seem to have developed.

Rob Morley wrote on 24/09/2006 17:05 +0100:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Nick Maclaren <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snip>
>> I am now a car commuter until retirement. In the past week, I have
>> cycled c. 100 miles around north Cornwall and Devon, but that is OK.
>> Cambridge is not.
>>

> I don't think I've ever been to Cambridge - if I do go there I shall be
> sure to prepare for battle first.

I've cycled in lots of cities including previously commuting daily
across Cambridge for several years. I don't think its any worse than
anywhere else and is quite a lot better than many. With 25% of journeys
there done by bicycle its hard for motorists to be unaware of their
presence.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci