Wrist's slapped

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tags:

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

  3. Juliette

    Juliette Guest

    > http://www.asa.org.uk/adjudications/show_adjudication.asp?adjudication_id=36625&from_index=show_a-
    > dvertisers&dates_of_adjudications_id=530:531:532:533
    >
    > Complaint upheld against Cannondale advert

    Good, but they're not the only ones. Simon has got quite used to me flicking through magazines and
    tutting. I've also been to some online bike shops and seen near naked women. That's OK though, I
    just won't buy anything made by people who advertise in that way and I won't use online bike stores
    with bikini clad women on their front pages.

    Of course, Simon has a nice new shiny Cannondale but, quite reasonably, I didn't have any say in
    that purchase. I've still to buy my new hill bike and it won't be a Cannondale.

    As the adjudication said though, I'm not their target market and I don't suppose they'd be upset
    about losing my spending power.

    Juliette, not a miserable bag but has to draw the line somewhere
    --
    nowt

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    Juliette <[email protected]> writes:

    > Of course, Simon has a nice new shiny Cannondale but, quite reasonably, I didn't have any say in
    > that purchase. I've still to buy my new hill bike and it won't be a Cannondale.

    In my defence I hadn't seen the advert when I bought the bike. But having said that I would probably
    have bought the bike anyway, 'cause where else can you get something as cool as a Lefty (apart from
    a Whyte, perhaps)?

    do not sail on uphill water
    - Bill Lee

  6. Sue

    Sue Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Juliette <[email protected]> writes

    >Juliette, not a miserable bag but has to draw the line somewhere

    Quite right - if they'd got a picture of two women MTB racers in sports bras and bike shorts (and
    huge thigh muscles and scarred knees and elbows) it'd give a very different impression.

    Really, the offensive bit is Cannondale's assumption that only blokies buy bicycles.

    I know someone who has a Whyte, it's the ugliest bike for miles around, though it rides well.
    --
    Sue ];:))

    Cannondales are for posers - I'd like a Ti frame Orange

  7. Claire

    Claire Guest

    Juliette <[email protected]> writes:
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >> http://www.asa.org.uk/adjudications/show_adjudication.asp?adjudication_id=36625&from_index=show_-
    >> advertisers&dates_of_adjudications_id=530:531:532:533
    >>
    >> Complaint upheld against Cannondale advert
    >
    >Good, but they're not the only ones. Simon has got quite used to me flicking through magazines and
    >tutting. I've also been to some online bike shops and seen near naked women. That's OK though, I
    >just won't buy anything made by people who advertise in that way and I won't use online bike stores
    >with bikini clad women on their front pages.

    Me too. I've also stopped buy MBUK now they've gone down the 'Rider's Wives' route and their 'we
    don't have to justify ourselves to you because we want tits and ass in our magazine' column last
    month was outright offensive. They patently don't want me reading their magazine, so I'll no
    longer be buying
    it.

    >As the adjudication said though, I'm not their target market and I don't suppose they'd be upset
    >about losing my spending power.

    I doubt it too. If you've not already come across it, the magazine 'Singletrack' seems to me (so
    far) to be a much better balance - good articles written by more than just your 30-something bloke
    on his canondale, and I didn't spot any ads trying to sell forks using glamour girls in body armour
    and thongs. http://www.singletrackworld.com/

    >Juliette, not a miserable bag but has to draw the line somewhere

    I'm not a miserable bag either, but it becomes very clear sometimes that some magazines &
    manufacturers are all about being a boys club and girls are only

    that.

    Claire
    --
    Still prettiest by far.

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Claire wrote:

    > Me too. I've also stopped buy MBUK now they've gone down the 'Rider's Wives' route and their 'we
    > don't have to justify ourselves to you because we want tits and ass in our magazine' column last
    > month was outright offensive. They patently don't want me reading their magazine, so I'll no
    > longer be buying it.

    I'm amazed its taken you that long to realise its not aimed at anyone outside their pubescent male
    target market.

    > I doubt it too. If you've not already come across it, the magazine 'Singletrack' seems to me (so
    > far) to be a much better balance - good articles written by more than just your 30-something bloke
    > on his canondale, and I didn't spot any ads trying to sell forks using glamour girls in body
    > armour and thongs. http://www.singletrackworld.com/

    Agreed

    >> Juliette, not a miserable bag but has to draw the line somewhere
    >
    > I'm not a miserable bag either, but it becomes very clear sometimes that some magazines &
    > manufacturers are all about being a boys club

    > And I'm not very good at that.

    Why do you feel the need to justify yourselves for objecting to it?

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  9. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Sue must be edykated coz e writed:

    > In message <[email protected]>, Juliette <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >> Juliette, not a miserable bag but has to draw the line somewhere
    >
    > Quite right - if they'd got a picture of two women MTB racers in sports bras and bike shorts (and
    > huge thigh muscles and scarred knees and elbows) it'd give a very different impression.
    >
    > Really, the offensive bit is Cannondale's assumption that only blokies buy bicycles.
    >
    > I know someone who has a Whyte, it's the ugliest bike for miles around, though it rides well.
    I'm not so sure scarred knees and elbows works in the defence here.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  10. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Claire" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I doubt it too. If you've not already come across it, the magazine 'Singletrack' seems to me (so
    > far) to be a much better balance - good articles written by more than just your 30-something
    > bloke on his
    canondale,
    > and I didn't spot any ads trying to sell forks using glamour girls in body armour and thongs.
    > http://www.singletrackworld.com/

    There was a naked bottom in the last issue (and probably others). Almost certainly doesn't count as
    glamour girl though :)

    cheers, clive

  11. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Claire wrote:
    > >
    > > Me too. I've also stopped buy MBUK now they've gone down the 'Rider's Wives' route and their 'we
    > > don't have to justify ourselves to you because we want tits and ass in our magazine' column last
    > > month was outright offensive. They patently don't want me reading their magazine, so I'll no
    > > longer be buying it.
    > >

    > I'm amazed its taken you that long to realise its not aimed at anyone outside their pubescent male
    > target market.

    Although the Cannondale ad in question was aimed at male readers with an average age of 45, so
    the ASA said.

  12. Cannondale "... asserted that the image of the two girls 'testing' a rocking horse and the text
    "Test ride, then decide" were relevant to the product."

    I hadn't even noticed that there was a rocking horse in the advert at all. I'm not sure whether this
    says more about the advert or me. Now, where did I leave my coat?

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

    > Although the Cannondale ad in question was aimed at male readers with an average age of 45, so the
    > ASA said.

    They confuse chronological and mental age methinks. Of course IQ is the latter divided by the former
    times 100 ;-).

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain