WTB:Vision LWB Conversion kit

Jack Pagel

Guest
I am looking for a good used LWB conversion kit for my Vision R40. Hopefully someone has one sitting
around, taking up space. Jack

mmm, just wondering if Jack and I are the only riders here that know what a Vision R-40 LWB conversion kit is??

I love my R-40!!!!! (swb) :D

ikayak <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> mmm, just wondering if Jack and I are the only riders here that know what a Vision R-40 LWB
> conversion kit is??
>
> I love my R-40!!!!! (swb) :D

Hi,

I have had a R40 for 3 years now. 1st year ran a SWB , USS 2 nd as a LWB now back to SWB which I
like most.

Having a bike that can be transformed from one confiuration to another is quite unique. I liked the
SWB config more because it felt sportier, but in the LWB config I felt I could go on forever (just
needed to plan out my turns in advance)

Good luck in finding your conversion kit.

TOM H

"tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ikayak <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > mmm, just wondering if Jack and I are the only riders here that know what a Vision R-40 LWB
> > conversion kit is??
> >
> > I love my R-40!!!!! (swb) :D
>
> Hi,
>
> I have had a R40 for 3 years now. 1st year ran a SWB , USS 2 nd as a LWB now back to SWB which I
> like most.
>
> Having a bike that can be transformed from one confiuration to another is quite unique. I liked
> the SWB config more because it felt sportier, but in the LWB config I felt I could go on forever
> (just needed to plan out my turns in advance)
>
> Good luck in finding your conversion kit.
>
> TOM H

I have a 1996 R40 in the LWB USS style here in the uk. I have tried it once in the SWB style but
found the bike to be a "bit twitchy" for my liking. I love the fact that in the LWB you can cruise
the thing forever and never feel shagged out at the end of it.

Hope you get your bits.

SWAMPY.

--
Lee "swampy" Marsh..

" I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and my grandfather went
too war against fascism"

On this same subject...can anyone explain the LWB vs. suspension fork issue? I am of the impression
that you can have one or the other, but not both (i.e. suspension fork with SWB only). Is this
correct? Why?

Thanks. cjw

In article <[email protected]>, cjw wrote:
> On this same subject...can anyone explain the LWB vs. suspension fork issue? I am of the
> impression that you can have one or the other, but not both (i.e. suspension fork with SWB only).
> Is this correct? Why?
>
> Thanks. cjw
>
> Jack Pagel wrote:
>> I am looking for a good used LWB conversion kit for my Vision R40. Hopefully someone has one
>> sitting around, taking up space. Jack

As I understand it, most suspension forks don't have the tab necessary to connect to the steering
transfer rod that connects to the handlebars. Since the SWB is directly connected (IIRC, it's been
a while since I looked) fork choice doesn't matter so much. Inventive people could probably figure
out a way to attach a tab to a suspension fork for the steering knuckle, though. I know I've
_seen_ it, but I can't remember where.

OTOH, you don't really _need_ front suspension on a LWB. The only thing I can think of would be to
smooth out road bumps to make the steering slightly more positive.

--
Patrick Friedel

"Patrick Friedel" skrev

> OTOH, you don't really _need_ front suspension on a LWB. The only thing I can think of would be to
> smooth out road bumps to make the steering slightly more positive.

Well my TE-clone was a pain in the butt when I had 90 psi S-Licks on. Fast, but bumps were so bad it
actually cracked the windscreen lexan. I solved it by switching to a 40 psi wider tire. Also gave it
better grip. If you can't fit a suspension fork theres always Pantour hubs.

Mikael

cjw wrote:
> On this same subject...can anyone explain the LWB vs. suspension fork issue? I am of the
> impression that you can have one or the other, but not both (i.e. suspension fork with SWB only).
> Is this correct? Why?

LWBs like RANS and EasyRacers have a very relaxed steerer tube angle. This has at least two
implications:
1. They need a lot of fork rake to keep the trail managable, and typical suspension forks don't have
enough trail to do the job. This would likely result in *very* sluggish handling when using a
suspension fork.
2. With the relaxed steerer angle, the sliders on the forks are at the wrong angle to work
effectively. They're not designed to handle that much front-to-back loading.

SWBs typically use more normal steering angles, so the biggest problem with them is getting the
chain to clear the crown.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

> Well my TE-clone was a pain in the butt when I had 90 psi S-Licks on. Fast, but bumps were so bad
> it actually cracked the windscreen lexan. I solved it by switching to a 40 psi wider tire. Also
> gave it better grip. If you can't fit a suspension fork theres always Pantour hubs.

Did it seem to have the same rolling resistance?

> I love the fact that in the LWB you can cruise the thing forever and never feel shagged out at the
> end of it.

What is there about going to a LWB that makes you feel so much better? Are other LWBs like this? It
seems like I read more stories by long-distance touers on GRR or TE's than on anything else.

"GeoB" skrev...
> > Well my TE-clone was a pain in the butt when I had 90 psi S-Licks on. Fast, but bumps were so
> > bad it actually cracked the windscreen lexan. I solved it by switching to a 40 psi wider tire.
> > Also gave it better grip. If you can't fit a suspension fork theres always Pantour hubs.
>
> Did it seem to have the same rolling resistance?

Nah its slower on roads but better on gravel and such. Plus its easier on my kidneys.

S-Licks were also hopeless in the winter. I had the rear wheel slip out under me on small patches of
slush/ice even when going slow and in a straight line. :)

Mikael