www.performancebike.com - anyone bought from here?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jon, Jun 4, 2003.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with them?

    Thanks!!

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (jon) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with them?

    They are the largest mail order bike shop in the USA. The company also includes www.nashbar.com,
    www.supergo.com, and many hard wall bike shops. You get what you pay for. The level of service at
    these outfits is somewhat lower than what you'd get from the better locally owned bike shops.

  3. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    jon wrote:
    > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with them?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Bought lots of stuff from them. Never had a problem.

    David

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (jon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with them?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Yes.

    You're welcome.

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with
    them?

    > Thanks!!

    Yup. Not the best prices, not the best customer service, but they are big ;)

    Jon Bond

  7. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Also if you wait a while whatever you want will be cheaper than it says on the site or the catalogue. There're only a few days after the end of a sale before another one begins. One month Vittoria tires will be among the items on sale, next month it'll be Continentals. I think the local branch has a full time guy just to go around and change the SALE signs.

  8. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    A couple Terry Men's Liberator saddles at around $25 each arrived just an hour ago (closeout,
    probably still active). Get some spares. I wear them out every couple of years.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  9. jon wrote:
    > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with them?

    Uh, yeah. They are the biggest and most popular mail order place on the web. I've been buying from
    them since 1986 (through catalogs). I'd guess the majority of U.S. people here have bought something
    from them at least once.

    Their service isn't the greatest but it's usually not bad. Their prices aren't the lowest but
    they're usually on the low side. Their selection varies.

    I personally like to buy their branded clothes because they are good considering the low prices.

    Another good one is Nashbar.com, which Performance apparently now owns but which generally has
    better prices. I've also been using them since 1986.

    You'll usually get better service from a local bike shop (LBS) though not always (some LBS's suck).
    LBS's with good service will also usually special order anything you want, which makes their
    effective selection a lot larger than Performance or Nashbar.

    --Bill Davidson

  10. I prefer the selection at nashbar better, but that's because it's not so racer oriented (Nothing
    against racers, I'm just not one of em.)

    But when I have bougtht from them, service has been OK.

  11. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  12. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    [email protected] (jon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with them?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Hi, I have been very pleased with both Performance and Nashbar. I recently got a Giro Eclipse 2001
    model for $44.95, list price $99.95. both of these places have good prices on closeouts and when
    running sales. The only thing I have found is that Performance doesn't send out tracking numbers for
    shipping. But if you call the toll free, they can give them to you. they are ok in my book;-) Jeff

  13. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

  14. Buck Fush

    Buck Fush Guest

    Performance has excellent prices on their sales items. Many times the prices in their retail stores
    are either higher or lower, but they will not only match any price of their's that you can find, but
    anyone else's also. I find the best price I can on the web, print the page or give them the URL and
    I get that price.

    You can also get a 10% rebate if you join their club, which is quite a savings if you buy a lot.

    "jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with
    them?

    > Thanks!!

  15. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    My experience has been good - Performance ships what I order in reasonable time. They have a local
    store, too.

    If you like the stuff on the Performance www site, join "Team Performance". You get 10% dividends.

    I spread my business around. For various reasons, I shop (and like): My local bike shop Kings
    Bicycle, San Pedro, California Harris Cyclery (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/)
    http://www.branfordbike.com/ http://www.lickbike.com/ http://www.performancebike.com
    http://www.nashbar.com http://www.icyclesusa.com/ http://www.cambriabike.com/ http://www.rei.com/

  16. On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 18:14:16 -0500, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with
    >them?
    >
    >Sure. Michael Perlman raves about them

    I'd think that'd go into the 'rant' corner of 'rant and rave', rather than the other.

    Jasper

  17. Ns>

    Ns> Guest

    Hey you forgot:

    http://www.loosescrews.com http://www.coloradocyclist.com Http://www.bikemart.com

    Loosescrews for parts of parts :). It used to be "The Third Hand". It was an excellent place for
    replacement parts for anything from pumps to cups to bearings. I haven't bought from them lately but
    they were good. Their selection isn't as wide as it used to be though.

    Jeff wrote:
    > My experience has been good - Performance ships what I order in reasonable time. They have a local
    > store, too.
    >
    > If you like the stuff on the Performance www site, join "Team Performance". You get 10% dividends.
    >
    > I spread my business around. For various reasons, I shop (and like): My local bike shop Kings
    > Bicycle, San Pedro, California Harris Cyclery (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/)
    > http://www.branfordbike.com/ http://www.lickbike.com/ http://www.performancebike.com
    > http://www.nashbar.com http://www.icyclesusa.com/ http://www.cambriabike.com/ http://www.rei.com/

  18. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > This site seems to have a wide selection. Anyone have experience with
    > them?
    > >
    > > Thanks!!
    >
    > Yup. Not the best prices, not the best customer service, but they are big ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Performance may not always have the best prices overall but often they have prices that can't be
    beat on some of the stuff they carry. For instance, I received the SRAM 5.0 cassette/PC58 chain
    combos I ordered from them today. My favorite LBS was having trouble getting these 8sp cassettes so
    I went mailorder. I needed chains too and nowhere else I looked could touch the $32.99 price of this
    combo. They also had XT rear derailleurs for $36.99 so I included one of them in the order. I
    haven't seen a price that low on those in several years now.