XTR V brake inserts

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by crazy6r54, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    For years now I've been using Aztec insert brake pads. Slide them in, pin them and off you go no
    adjustment. This time all the LBS had were XTR 950/739. Double the price and what a tight fit plus
    had to adjust them. I just hope they last as long or longer. I get a years use out of brake pads.
    Every spring I end up replacing them. All when theres no more cable to pull on adjustment. So if I
    stick with XTR I won't have to adjust next time I replace them?

    Fire up MTB 03

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | For years now I've been using Aztec insert brake pads. Slide them in, pin them
    | and off you go no adjustment. This time all the LBS had were XTR 950/739. Double
    | the price and what a tight fit plus had to adjust them. I just hope they last as
    | long or longer. I get a years use out of brake pads. Every spring I end up
    | replacing them. All when theres no more cable to pull on adjustment. So if I
    | stick with XTR I won't have to adjust next time I replace them?
    |
    | Fire up MTB 03

    Despite the fact the XTR pads are somewhat harder than the Aztecs, they actually seem to wear faster
    (compared to the gray Az) and IMHO don't stop as well. Back when I worked for a LBS, we stopped
    stocking the Shimano pads altogether, unless somebody wanted to special order them. I personally use
    Aztec or Ritchey reds (I'm a biggun and I need extra stopping power.)

    The best combo I've come across so far is Shimano Cartridge shells with Aztec inserts. Second is
    Avid RW2 shells with the same pads. I don't like the older RW shells, or most other offerings as
    they tend to let the pads get pulled out when changing wheels.

    I absolutely hate Kool-Stops. (I've been told Kool-Stop actually makes the Ritchey and Aztec pads,
    but it's not about the compound but the shape.)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 3/25/2003

  3. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Thanks I knew someone could help. I was using the Aztec red.

    Fire up MTB 03