You can now make bikes-on-trains reservations online..

tom

Guest
GNER are shortly going to launch a competitor to therainline.com
selling rail tickets online. This site, which is currently being
tested ( http://tickets.gner.co.uk ) uses a completely redesigned
booking engine. Make of the engine what you will - in some respects it
is much better, in others it falls down.

>From our perspective, the main benefit is that it now appears possible

(AT LAST!) to make reservations for bicycles online. I know it has
been possible to do this with GNER for some time using their form, but
this looks like it is actually integrated into the booking process.
When selecting your seat, just select bicycle (and the quantity, where
the upper limit is the number of seats you are buying)..

Remind me again, why was this gem of a rail operator allowed to lose
its franchise?

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:58:38 -0700, tom <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Remind me again, why was this gem of a rail operator allowed to lose
>its franchise?

Because its parent company was insolvent and thus disqualified from
holding a rail franchise. A good enough reason, IMO.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] says...

> Remind me again, why was this gem of a rail operator allowed to lose
> its franchise?

Because it went bust catering for all those bl**dy cyclists ;-)

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:58:38 -0700, tom wrote:
> GNER are shortly going to launch a competitor to therainline.com
> selling rail tickets online. This site, which is currently being
> tested ( http://tickets.gner.co.uk ) uses a completely redesigned
> booking engine. Make of the engine what you will - in some respects it
> is much better, in others it falls down.

They've picked an odd time to do it. GNER's franchise is due to end in
the next few months and National Express are going to take over their
routes.

> Remind me again, why was this gem of a rail operator allowed to lose
> its franchise?

Money, GNER was being used to prop-up a failling container shipping
business who had to cut the strings.

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article1206099.ece

--
Stephen Patterson :: [email protected] :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: [email protected]

>Remind me again, why was this gem of a rail operator allowed to lose
>its franchise?

IIRC the parent company - Sea Containers have had to make some
emergency prunings to their empire. Some assets were sold off.

Richard Webb