Bikes on trains

Don Whybrow

Guest
I have seen comments here in the past about how difficult it has been,
and how useless the on-board facilities have been on some trains that I
would like to let you know about a different experience I had today.

For an evening ride, I cycled from Edinburgh to North Berwick and caught
the train back. This service is a local shuttle operated by First. Not
being particularly interested in trains, I have no idea of the rolling
stock they use as. There is provision at one end of the train for 8
bikes in an area that could not be mistaken as a buggy park or luggage
area. I was so taken aback I took a couple of pictures with my mobile.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/472833088_0ad3eb25e2_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/472833090_075e69e3e9_o.jpg

Well done First!

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I suppose they are vicious rascals, but it scarcely matters
what they are. I'm after what they know." (Gibson-Sterling, The
Difference Engine)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:56:29 +0100 someone who may be Don Whybrow
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>For an evening ride, I cycled from Edinburgh to North Berwick and caught
>the train back. This service is a local shuttle operated by First. Not
>being particularly interested in trains, I have no idea of the rolling
>stock they use as. There is provision at one end of the train for 8
>bikes in an area that could not be mistaken as a buggy park or luggage
>area. I was so taken aback I took a couple of pictures with my mobile.
>
>http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/472833088_0ad3eb25e2_o.jpg
>http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/472833090_075e69e3e9_o.jpg
>
>Well done First!

It is actually well done to those who lobbied for this provision.
Last would not have provided it themselves and IIRC it was paid for
by you and I.

The background is that this is a popular route to take a bike on.
The old electric trains had plenty of space for bikes, as did the
locomotives and coaches used for a while. Between those eras there
were a number of less suitable trains which were used for a number
of periods.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

> On 25 Apr, 22:56, Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/232/472833088_0ad3eb25e2_o.jpg

> Hmm, that bike on the right looks familiar!

The far bike is my Nemesis, the near bike is Euan's Giant OCR. Next time
I will probably take 531c, my fixie if I have built it, or if it hasn't
been sold yet, a rather nice second-hand bike I saw.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Freedom defined is freedom denied. (Illuminatus)

Quoting Don Whybrow <[email protected]>:
>I have seen comments here in the past about how difficult it has been,
>and how useless the on-board facilities have been on some trains that I
>would like to let you know about a different experience I had today.

En route to Whitby last Thursday, we took the tandem up to York and cycled
up the A64 to Malton (a mistake; I have never in memory had so many people
pass at 70mph close by - even on the two-lane sections) and then over the
North York Moors from Pickering to Whitby. This was miserable.

On the way back, however, we took the North York Moors Railway (a
preserved steam railway) from Grosmont to Pickering. Being able to just
turn up and go - with a tandem - made a pleasant change...
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:eek:konomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores: