you people out there riding double or tripple?

Originally posted by Kaboom
What kind of cranks are you riding?

camag Centaur triple on my Look Carbon. I can't keep my cadence (90-100) uphill without the triple, and then I slow down too much and also lactate up too much. I love my triple! I recently changed it from a 30 to a 28 so that I could keep the cadence on even steeper hills.

Mountain XTR triple. Road Dura Ace double. Used to ride a 105 triple road, but only got in the baby ring once...and that was just to test it out. Heck, unless it's a killer hill I rarely get in the small ring of a double! Not saying the triple is a waste and a useless marketing scam, but I personally don't see the point. Now if you like the trip for it's 42 second ring versus the 39 of the double that could be a consideration.

Me? i ride an ANCIENT stronglight tripple, because i inherited the bike i ride. However i intend to swap it for an ultegra double as soon as i manage to scrape the necessary cash... Currently running 9-speed drivetrain with a crank that ran a million miles on a 7-speed chain and drivetrain. Since it spent most time on the middle ring if i try to ride that ring now with my 9s the chain skips like hell as soon as u put a little pressure on it (this has cost me two falls and a 5-day injury on my right knee), so i'm limited to the bigger (53) ring, because i dont use the granny.

Triple on my Douglas Motive 105, but a 'single' on my Trek 560. (converted it to a single speed freewheel)

Me? i ride an ANCIENT stronglight tripple, because i inherited the bike i ride. However i intend to swap it for an ultegra double as soon as i manage to scrape the necessary cash... Currently running 9-speed drivetrain with a crank that ran a million miles on a 7-speed chain and drivetrain. Since it spent most time on the middle ring if i try to ride that ring now with my 9s the chain skips like hell as soon as u put a little pressure on it (this has cost me two falls and a 5-day injury on my right knee), so i'm limited to the bigger (53) ring, because i dont use the granny.

why don't you get a new middle ring?

Triple - I'm far too long out of the saddle, get knackered pathetically easily and live in a land of hills between the Pennines and Lake District.

However, having said that, I've only used the granny ring once...duh.

dude you mean you ate **** once, didn't spend the what, $20 for a new ring, then ate **** AGAIN and put you out for 5 days? lol at your cheapskate ass

I am a cheapskate ass because i have NO MORE MONEY!!! dude i'm sixteen and i live off birthday money and stuff like that. I busted all my savings on my semi-ultegra drivetrain and my Ksyrium elites (and i love them LOADS). the last thing i could think about was that i'd need to save up on some of my components to replace that middle ring. My father's a ******* and he says that if i wanna replace that middle ring or crank (i'm going for replacing the crank and BB, i wanna lose the fat weight of the Stronglight) i'll have to pay it myself. Well my Bday is coming up sometime soon (presents welcome...) so hopefully i'll manage to scrape money and go for an Ultegra crank with BB. Any suggestions on other cranks which are better at a competitive price?