Your Worst Crash

my worst crash isn't aas bad as what sone of you have experinced but i was doin off road on bike and i sort of crashed into a tree and then me leg was stuck in the bike and it continued sliding we were about a metre from a sheer drop and the bike came to halt i was $hitten (hope that was alright to say it that way :confused: ) myself and when i stopped i was like pheww i had to go to hospital for fractured shin but that was it. I was with my bro and he was laughing his head off :eek: and now when he looks back he nows it was wrong to laugh.

asher

I was riding in a parking lot. And I was hit hard from the side. I broke her grill and but a big dent in her fender, and I think her head light was broke.

But I was fine :cool:

I've never fallen on my road bike, believe it or not, but before I got the road bike, I rode a mountain bike. One day a car was coming my way, and I had the brilliant idea that my mountain bike could hop a curb. I tried to but fell over the curb, on my face. I couldn't bare to see the people laughing at me, so I stayed in the position I had fallen in till it passed. I felt so stupid! :p

Geeze, I quit running because of joint paint and have to put up with the possibility of ramming into vehicles! I do most of my riding on a trainer, where the greatest chance of an accident is having my stupid cat run in the wheels (which would at least make for a funny story).

Good luck everyone, this year, hopefully fewer accidents :)

Believe it or not, I almost had this happen before, it is really funny, I had to stop and lay on the ground it was so funny.:D

um...i hit the pavement curb near a bus terminal and the bike came down. when i looked at the chain, the chin had been thrown off .....i was riding a foldable at the time..

my worst crash is my first and only crash. I was riding with my group and I was at the end of the lines when a guy's vest flew out of his pocket... being nice, I stopped and picked it up.... well i rolled it up and wedged it under my break cables (stupid i know)... well no one claimed the vest when i caught up so i just kept riding... the vest caught in my front breaks and locked my front wheel sending me flying over the handle bars onto the roughly paved street at 24mph... luckily no broken bones and no broken bike... just a really bad bone bruise in my knee and really big hole in my elbow.. which took over a month to heal... which is now a nice scar... the impact was hard enough to keep me on the ground for about 5 minutes before i could even move.

now they all tease me out holding things for others and everytime we pass my 'spot'

I've had a few MTB crashes in my day (d'ya think?!) The "worst" was:

- Slipped on a wet flat boulder coming down Gore Mt. in NY, 1999. Tumbled to the bottom of that section, came up with a broken right wrist and a lot of missing hide. That day I considered myself lucky, because where I stopped there was a cliff about 15' to my left. Shite!
eek.gif

Had a few road crashes too. "Worst" was:

- April 2006, while shortcutting a MUT to another road, I hit a 1/2" steel cable that was stretched across the MUT at about waist-level. Didn't see it until too late - since I was going from the sun into the shade where the cable was, and there was nothing to warn that it was there. My right side went into it full on and I was stopped dead flat, while the bike unclipped and went sailing. Broke ribs # 9, 10, & 11 and got an enormous bruise.

biking down the road and went flying over a car door that happened to open in front of me... (just kidding)

2 big crashes i've had so far - both within 100m of each other lol (at seperate times)

First time was at night, i was biking down the road without any lights so i had my mobile phone out (used the phone light to try and warn cars i was there).

coming upto a village crossroad i look behind me to see if i should flip my light behind me. When i look back in front of me i realise i am a few ft away from a black parked car.... teach me not to use lights lol. Went flying straight over the car bonet, got back up and pulled myself back together (took a few minutes lol) and pegged it lol. the next day i bought bike lights

the other one (and the worst ive had) - coming upto the same cross roads but this time it was 1 PM, and i had just finished my shift at work (been there since 5AM) - was very tired.

Coming upto the lights, they are on red, but then turn to amber. Knowing theres a hill at the other side going down i stand up and start pumping my legs to get as much speed as possible. I look behind me to ensure no cars are behind me so that i can use more of the road. Big mistake

WHen i look in front of me i discover myself drifting into the curb, as a result the bike tips onto the curb and i go flying down the path at about 20 mph. Covered great distance down the path lol and stopped 30 cm off some lad and 2 girls.

If i set of a few seconds earlier from work i would have taken them out... 100 points? lol.

Luckily neither accident has caused serious injury. First one shook me up and the second one left a few nasty grazes on me.

Funnily enough all these crashes ive been in, ive never damaged my helmet yet.

Then again i shouldnt speak too soon.

webbhost said:
2 big crashes i've had so far - both within 100m of each other lol (at seperate times)
You have to quit looking behind you on night rides. :(

Wurm said:
You have to quit looking behind you on night rides. :(
lol the 2nd one wasnt a night ride, it was at 1PM.

Only reason i looked behind me was because of the fear or a car taking me out. Wanted to be aware of my surroundings.

However funny enough now you mention it i did look behind myself on both instances.

Yep. When I look back I almost always swerve one way or the other, unless it's just a quick glance. So I make sure I have a clear shot in front of me before turning around, and not too close to the pavement edge.

Wurm said:
Yep. When I look back I almost always swerve one way or the other, unless it's just a quick glance. So I make sure I have a clear shot in front of me before turning around, and not too close to the pavement edge.
yeah i usually only give a quick glance.

the dark one i thought i had LOADS of space (because it dark and the car was black - i didnt see it lol)

The second one i went for a quick glance, but being extremely tired, my reactions were alot slower than usual so it ended up to be a very slow glance lol.

Ya live and learn.

Wurm said:
I am quite fearful of this myself since I am new to cycling and want to be alert to my surroundings. I have to keep checking around when I am on the road.
it's quite suspenseful when going downhill and checking to see if you can use more of the road

on the 1 big hill i tend to go on, i have my way with the cars lol. They're only allowd to go 30 MPH (or meant to) and i can keep up with them infact catch up with them lol.

Therefore i just use the whole road, and keep the bike as close to centre of the road as possible (well centre of my lane).

That way the car behind me knows that he aint gettin by me so he might aswell relax

"I am quite fearful of this myself since I am new to cycling and want to be alert to my surroundings." -seriouslysilly

Practice! Get in a parking lot or other clear area and practice till you are confident you won't swerve. Keeping your chin down is the whole secret to the quick glance needed to make sure the next lane is clear for merging.;)

Has anyone ever been the one to be run over by the following cyclists? my first crash i got lucky and i was in the back when my front wheel locked sending me flying onto the road... this second one just under 4 months apart i got knocked in the front wheel by the fellow next to me which put me on the ground and the guy behind slammed his front wheel into my back before he went flying. a few minor scrapes to the needs and hips, what really hurts is my upperback where his wheel impacted...he left a really nice red and soon to be black and blue wheel print. my bike on the other hand took a beating... I've got a cheap aluminum bike so my rear wheel got all out of shape and i ended up having to buy a new set of rims.... plus a ton more scratches on my shifters... my poor bike has been through a lot.

Yeah, I was racing a whole bunch of people in the rain once, and the road was GLAZED in water, not just one of those light coverings of water. On the hairpin I slid and barely got missed, cause I was in the middle lane and everyone else was using a low line lane. There were ALOT of people on that small track so it makes you tense, and intimidated. So you try not to mess up, but you try to save your position in the race too. I was running seventh when that happened, and ended up in like twenty-fifth.

The lap times there are like 16.3 to 17s on a dry day, it was SOOO wet that we were running 22s. And the fastest lap was set by one of my teammates, at a 15.9, and the record still stands...