You've just missed...

Mark Thompson

Guest
Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!

Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
> christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>
> Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

Just caught the GB pursuit team celebrating Gold after catching the
Spaniards, missed the actual race though. Buggar!

Pete

Chris did this race last night at the velodrome and I was lucky enough to be
there (sat next to Jason Queally....)

Chris is a huge fella and to see him muscle off the blocks is quite
something. its only 2nd time i've been to the velodrome but i've got to
recomend it because its a super night.

The 1st time I went to a revolution evening which I think is only £8 a
ticket which compares much better than 90mins of football.

I was surprised on the tv to see chris weight training, the weight he was
squatting must be close to 250kgs

ian

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
>> christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>>
>> Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

> Just caught the GB pursuit team celebrating Gold after catching the
> Spaniards, missed the actual race though. Buggar!
>
> Pete

Mark Thompson composed the following;:
> Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
> christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>
> Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

We're lucky (ha) to have digital TV and the cycling carries on for quite
a while after, I think it shows all the races, but can't be sure.
Certainly it's still on at the moment, showing live, currently a team
pursuit (it looks like, I'm in another room) with 70 laps to go, the
caption just said .. ;)

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

On 8/1/05 4:43 pm, in article [email protected], "Paul - ***"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark Thompson composed the following;:
>> Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
>> christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>>
>> Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

> We're lucky (ha) to have digital TV and the cycling carries on for quite
> a while after, I think it shows all the races, but can't be sure.
> Certainly it's still on at the moment, showing live, currently a team
> pursuit (it looks like, I'm in another room) with 70 laps to go, the
> caption just said .. ;)

Bah.. I'm sat in a seminar in Edinburgh and nowhere near the TV..
Wind and rain this morning with a train non-stop from Dundee-Edinburgh.
Unfortunately it went via Perth and Stirling so arrived 30 mins late,
despite not having to stop.

Went to EBC at lunch time.. very windy on the meadows.

...d

> I was surprised on the tv to see chris weight training, the weight he
> was squatting must be close to 250kgs

He certainly doesn't have a cyclists physique. Still, not many hills in
track racing I s'pose.

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
> christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>
> Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

But there is a streaming video from Manchester on
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport.

Kenny is about half way through his 1 hour record attempt.

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Mind, the flatness of the area made it a right slog to get back, almost
> directly into what was now a head-wind. Set off about 9.30 this am, got
> back about 4.30 pm, and did about 45 / 50 miles total.
>
> Had a great time, nowt to report, nothing significant, normal day.
> Marvellous :)

Not surprised there was nowt to report. Thorne Moors is just a complete void
where time and space have no meaning ;-) Or was it Hatfield Moors?

I've just got back from up the "hill" (no streetlights) where I live after
looking at Comet Machholz next to the Plaiedes through my binoculars.

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/comets/article_1396_1.asp

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Simon Mason composed the following;:
> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Mind, the flatness of the area made it a right slog to get back,
>> almost directly into what was now a head-wind. Set off about 9.30
>> this am, got back about 4.30 pm, and did about 45 / 50 miles total.
>>
>> Had a great time, nowt to report, nothing significant, normal day.
>> Marvellous :)

> Not surprised there was nowt to report. Thorne Moors is just a
> complete void where time and space have no meaning ;-) Or was it
> Hatfield Moors?

They're the places .. about half and half. Went out from Doncaster
towards Wroot and Epworth, then up to Keadby and Crowle and across to
Thorne and back down to home. Mostly off-road with a bit of 'mostly
empty country road' to keep us alert.

> I've just got back from up the "hill" (no streetlights) where I live
> after looking at Comet Machholz next to the Plaiedes through my
> binoculars.
> http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/comets/article_1396_1.asp

Heheheh, yeah, Hatfield moors are pretty good for the lack of light
pollution for anything like this. If we were in Montana I guess they'd
call it 'Big Sky' country. We've not done any Comet watching for quite
a while, thanks for that, we might give it a look-see tomorrow evening.
;)

--

Mark Thompson wrote:
>>I was surprised on the tv to see chris weight training, the weight he
>>was squatting must be close to 250kgs

> He certainly doesn't have a cyclists physique. Still, not many hills in
> track racing I s'pose.

YEs he does, he had a track sprinters physique. Marty Nothstein was similar.

Paul - *** wrote:
> Mark Thompson composed the following;:
>
>> Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
>> christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>>
>> Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

> We're lucky (ha) to have digital TV and the cycling carries on for quite
> a while after, I think it shows all the races, but can't be sure.
> Certainly it's still on at the moment, showing live, currently a team
> pursuit (it looks like, I'm in another room) with 70 laps to go, the
> caption just said .. ;)

70 lap team pursuit ? You gotta be kidding it was the points race. I
was there today.

Peter B wrote:
> "Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after a
>>christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>>
>>Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

> Just caught the GB pursuit team celebrating Gold after catching the
> Spaniards, missed the actual race though. Buggar!
>
> Pete

Great ride. Just got back from Manc.

MSeries composed the following;:
> Paul - *** wrote:
>> Mark Thompson composed the following;:
>>
>>> Our very own Chris Hoy winning gold in the 1km final. Not bad after
>>> a christmas of mince pies, mulled wine and turkey!
>>>
>>> Track cycling on BBC2 until 2.15pm

>> We're lucky (ha) to have digital TV and the cycling carries on for
>> quite a while after, I think it shows all the races, but can't be
>> sure. Certainly it's still on at the moment, showing live, currently
>> a team pursuit (it looks like, I'm in another room) with 70 laps to
>> go, the caption just said .. ;)
>>

> 70 lap team pursuit ? You gotta be kidding it was the points race. I
> was there today.

I know .. long day out, just caught it and saw the caption, and I did
say it looks like .. I just wrote the wrong thing. :)

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
(8(!) Homer Rules ... ;)
"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

> Yes he does, he had a track sprinters physique. Marty Nothstein was
> similar.

What advantage do the big arms give?

Mark Thompson wrote:
>>Yes he does, he had a track sprinters physique. Marty Nothstein was
>>similar.

> What advantage do the big arms give?

Pulling on the bars, fighting for your position behind the derny in
the Kierin. The riders elbow and lean on one another to 'take' their
position, you know the stuff that road sprinters get disqualified for.

Paul - *** composed the following;:
> Simon Mason composed the following;:
>> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Mind, the flatness of the area made it a right slog to get back,
>>> almost directly into what was now a head-wind. Set off about 9.30
>>> this am, got back about 4.30 pm, and did about 45 / 50 miles total.
>>>
>>> Had a great time, nowt to report, nothing significant, normal day.
>>> Marvellous :)

>> Not surprised there was nowt to report. Thorne Moors is just a
>> complete void where time and space have no meaning ;-) Or was it
>> Hatfield Moors?

> They're the places .. about half and half. Went out from Doncaster
> towards Wroot and Epworth, then up to Keadby and Crowle and across to
> Thorne and back down to home. Mostly off-road with a bit of 'mostly
> empty country road' to keep us alert.
>
>> I've just got back from up the "hill" (no streetlights) where I live
>> after looking at Comet Machholz next to the Plaiedes through my
>> binoculars.
>> http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/comets/article_1396_1.asp

> Heheheh, yeah, Hatfield moors are pretty good for the lack of light
> pollution for anything like this. If we were in Montana I guess
> they'd call it 'Big Sky' country. We've not done any Comet watching
> for quite a while, thanks for that, we might give it a look-see
> tomorrow evening. ;)

Heheheh, just popped outside and realised the school field points South,
with a large common land area beyond, so thought I'd have a look ..
Found it within a minute or so. The sky, especially high in the sky,
and light pollution around here isn't so bad as we're well outside town.
Junior School have a decent telescope so I'll see if I can't get a
piccie or two, though I've (and the school) never connected my camera to
the scope before ... :)

Wionderful, Simon, thanks for pointing it out .. ;)

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
(8(!) Homer Rules ... ;)
"A ****** is a ******, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

On 8/1/05 8:59 pm, in article [email protected], "Paul - ***"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Heheheh, just popped outside and realised the school field points South,
> with a large common land area beyond, so thought I'd have a look ..
> Found it within a minute or so. The sky, especially high in the sky,
> and light pollution around here isn't so bad as we're well outside town.
> Junior School have a decent telescope so I'll see if I can't get a
> piccie or two, though I've (and the school) never connected my camera to
> the scope before ... :)

Tried some pictures earlier in the week on ancient technology [1] so don't
know if they worked. It was a kind of fuzzy blob that was hard to see at the
beginning of the week (mag 4.2). It has now brightened to mag 4.1. With the
light pollution here it was still possible to just see with the naked eye
and reasonably clear with bins.

...d

David Martin composed the following;:
> On 8/1/05 8:59 pm, in article [email protected], "Paul -
> ***" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Heheheh, just popped outside and realised the school field points
>> South, with a large common land area beyond, so thought I'd have a
>> look .. Found it within a minute or so. The sky, especially high in
>> the sky, and light pollution around here isn't so bad as we're well
>> outside town. Junior School have a decent telescope so I'll see if I
>> can't get a piccie or two, though I've (and the school) never
>> connected my camera to the scope before ... :)
>>

> Tried some pictures earlier in the week on ancient technology [1] so
> don't know if they worked. It was a kind of fuzzy blob that was hard
> to see at the beginning of the week (mag 4.2). It has now brightened
> to mag 4.1. With the light pollution here it was still possible to
> just see with the naked eye and reasonably clear with bins.

There was some high cloud making it fuzzy, though still just visible to
the naked eye, once acclimatised, and it was still slightly fuzzy with
the binoculars. I didn't want to stay out long, though. A man laid on
his back with binoculars on a school field might attract the kind of
attention I can do without .. even if I am the caretaker for the school
... ;)

--

MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

:> What advantage do the big arms give?
: Pulling on the bars, fighting for your position behind the derny in
: the Kierin. The riders elbow and lean on one another to 'take' their
: position, you know the stuff that road sprinters get disqualified for.

For the same reason road sprinters have muscle arms. The arms have to try
and resist the force the legs are generating so that the power goes to
the road.

Climbing: use arms to rock bike/body while pedaling

Sprinting: use arms to try and hold bike still while smashing the pedals
into the groud. Since the arms aren't as strong as the legs, the bike
still rocks.

Arthur

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

Arthur Clune wrote:
> MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :> What advantage do the big arms give?
> : Pulling on the bars, fighting for your position behind the derny in
> : the Kierin. The riders elbow and lean on one another to 'take' their
> : position, you know the stuff that road sprinters get disqualified for.
>
> For the same reason road sprinters have muscle arms. The arms have to try
> and resist the force the legs are generating so that the power goes to
> the road.
>
> Climbing: use arms to rock bike/body while pedaling
>
> Sprinting: use arms to try and hold bike still while smashing the pedals
> into the groud. Since the arms aren't as strong as the legs, the bike
> still rocks.

I picked up a copy of C+ yesterday for domething to read on the train.
The 'newbie goes track racing' article was very inspiring. My heart was
racing and I felt exhausted just reading it..

Definitely something to try at some point.

...d