Zipp 404 clinchers

msommers

Jan 31, 2004
I don't do any racing but wanted to get some lightweight carbon wheels. I was thinking of getting the Zipp 404 clinchers. I generally ride 50-100 miles at a time and was concerned about durability. Any experience with using these wheels primarily for training?

Thanks,

msommers said:
I don't do any racing but wanted to get some lightweight carbon wheels. I was thinking of getting the Zipp 404 clinchers. I generally ride 50-100 miles at a time and was concerned about durability. Any experience with using these wheels primarily for training?

Thanks,
No experience in carbon wheels, but that seems like a lot of money to spend on trainers. I'm sure they are robust, but it would be sad to be training on them, hit a pothole and crack the rim. If it happened to a cheaper training set, I'm sure you wouldn't care as much.

I'd only get Zipp 404's through ebay. Because I think $1750 is just too much for them. I'd use them everywhere on a road too.

msommers said:

Thanks,

Unless your budget allows you to, go ahead. Its one of the best carbon wheels around. I have a set and use it for training and racing, and these things really mean what they say... they go fast!!! :) I actually posted the pic on the Photo Gallery section, check it out! http://www.cyclingforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/442

msommers said:

Thanks,
Zipp 404 Clinchers get good reviews.
But for Clincher, I would recommend Hed Alps instead: Rock solid, approx equal to Zipp regarding aerodynamics, but lighter and less expensive.
(Zipp tubulars are lighter than Alps, but it's oposite with clinchers)

msommers said:

Thanks,

Way overkill if you don't race. It's like getting a Formula 1 race car for your morning commute to work.

Bob

Bobby Lex said:
Way overkill if you don't race. It's like getting a Formula 1 race car for your morning commute to work.

Bob
This is BS, an analogy of Zipp 404 to F1 is laughable.

The Zipp 404 is a decent day to day wheel... if you are heavy, get the Cosmic Carbone or Reynolds though, about the same money but the Mavic is much stiffer, and the Reynolds is a better OA wheel with better customer service.

You can race and win on $100 wheels, or you can ride for fun on $6000 custom Obermeyer's. It is your money and if you ride for fun, have fun with what you ride.

wilmar13 said:
This is BS, an analogy of Zipp 404 to F1 is laughable.

The Zipp 404 is a decent day to day wheel... if you are heavy, get the Cosmic Carbone or Reynolds though, about the same money but the Mavic is much stiffer, and the Reynolds is a better OA wheel with better customer service.

You can race and win on $100 wheels, or you can ride for fun on $6000 custom Obermeyer's. It is your money and if you ride for fun, have fun with what you ride.

What he said. Ride what makes you happy. I know a guy that rides Lightweight Standards every day.....and that boy can ride.

Me? I just bought and glued up a set of Reynolds Stratus DV's that just might become my everyday wheels.

The F1 analogy is bogus to its bones. Using logic like that, then everyone here that isn't racing or racing successfully shouldn't be riding anything other than Roadmaster bikes.

I can live without the Zipp 404's - I already have HED 3's. But I have bike lust.

If I were rich I'd get a CF P3, CF Soloist Team, a Hutch Trickstar, and an Optima Baron.

My experience with Zipps:

Late fall 1994, I grabbed a used set of 404's in tubie on ebay for the absurdly low price of $650. Included an extra pair of tires. Just wanted to try them out, and figured that I could sell them for at least that in the spring.

I still have them. Just hate to take them off the bike. The combination of light weight, fast speed on the downhills, and damping of road vibration make them a delight to ride. The tubular tires have proven most resiliant. I've had only one flat, and it was my fault for taking a shortcut down a debris strewn street. Probably put 1.5k miles on them last year, no durability problems. I did have to do some minor truing twice. I can't say enough good about the 404's. They just feel fantastic.

However... the Zipps are a lightweight wheel, and they can be fragile. Do you really want to hit a pothole with a $1500 wheelset that's optimized for weight? Not really for every day. When I'm riding anywhere but smooth, well maintained back roads, I put on my old Rolf Vector Pro's. Harsh riding, but they're tough. Keep in mind that the extra money the high dollar wheelsets cost buys you speed. It does not buy you toughness.

Just my opinion, but why spend all that money on a light wheelset, and then burden it down with a big chunk of aluminum? The tubular rims are lighter, and tubies really aren't that much of a hassle. If you're going to go light, then go all the way.

They're a little heavier but I'd also look at the mavic carbone clincher. I have a set and think ther're great. I weigh in at 215lbs and have ridden ~700miles on them so far and they are still true, which sort of amazes me considering the low spoke count, my weight and all the pot holes and rough road around here. They roll pretty nice on the flats too, purely anecdotal and probably psycological but I think I can maybe make 1 extra mph on the flats with them vs std wheels.
For a counter point I also have a set of reynolds stratus dv cyclocross wheels which are an all carbon wheel. For races the all carbon wheels are nice and noticably lighter, but as an everyday wheel they're not that great... 1 Almost all of the all carbon rims are tubular and this is a little bit of a hassel for everyday riding... what happens if you get two flats out riding? 2. the braking is not as good as on a good Al rim surface. I can almost burn through a set of brake pads in a few rides with them, not that economical or practical for everyday riding.

Just my opinion
Erik

msommers said:

Thanks,
I just bought a set of the Zipp manufactured FLASH POINT PD-60 clincher wheels (basically Zipp 404s with less expensive hubs). As soon as my extended 80mm valve tubes and new Continental 4000 tires arrive, I'll be mounting them on my 5900 for everyday use. I'll post a review/opinion as soon as I have ridden them a few hundred miles. I also have a set of tubular HED Stingers on the way for my recently acquired BP Stealth TT bike (60mm front, 90mm rear) and will let you know how they perform as well.